Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Company of Heroes Online Closing

The Company of Heroes Online Website announces that Relic will be shutting down this online installment in their World War II real-time strategy series on March 31, 2011. As of today they are no longer selling COHO Cash, and they urge players who have purchased any to spend it in-game before the game's closure, as their COHO Beta Closure FAQ notes that they will not be offering any refunds, referring to their policy that refunds are at their "sole and absolute discretion," which they are obviously not exercising here. Company of Heroes Online entered open beta testing exactly six months ago, where it has remained ever since, and in spite of them describing its run as "several very successful months," their answer to the question of whether they plan to launch a full version of COHO sounds pessimistic: "We are still working on our plans for the Company of Heroes franchise and are not ready to discuss details yet. We will be leveraging all the data and feedback the Company of Heroes Online Beta generated."

They offer beta participants their thanks as well as a code to purchase a copy of Company of Heroes Gold Edition from the THQ online store for $4.99 USD, noting that an upcoming patch will bring multiplayer improvements from COHO to the original Company of Heroes game and expansions. This forum offers Company of Heroes beta patch notes, and they say to stay tuned for a release date for a new patch. In an interview last November, producer Greg Wilson discussed a steep learning curve as an obstacle to new players trying to get started in Company of Heroes Online. Thanks Nathan.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 3, 2011, 00:25 JAGUART

I knew something was up when the menu audio featured helicopters. I just thought it was a beta thing. I never could wrap my mind around how gameplay could be balanced when you could purchase upgrades over another player.

I would have purchased every expansion or iteration of the original, wish they had an Eastern Front or Pacific Theatre

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 2, 2011, 02:49 venomhed

If you guys even bothered to play this game online you will know why they are abandoning it.

I have owned and played the retail COH since it came out, and bought the next 2 add ons. I loved this fucking game, so fun coop!

So i played the CoH Online. What a fucking DISASTER! 7 gigs to download, the game was already hard as fuck, and now every little bit had micro transactions. The game just couldn't handle that, and the person with the most pre bought power ups would ALWAYS win whereas the original game you knew what the power ups could be for you and your enemy.

Anyways, they were testing something, but this was NOT the game to do it with.

And yes, HOMEWORLD 3 with a Sins of a Solar Empire optional online element would be nice. I still play Homeworld 2 online Coop to this day! Game fucking ROCKS!

20. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 22:04 Slashman

Golem wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 20:46:
Why, oh why, didn't they just create map packs with new armies? I would have bought them all. Or did they lose their ability to create and balance a few more armies? I can't see how that was/is the case since they had so many races in DoW and DoW2. CoH is still the best RTS in my opinion. I can't stand most of the others with there large groups of troops standing around firing on each other out in the open until they all drop or take out the enemy. If the troops don't use cover and terrain reasonably I don't care to play it. I hope they consider another sequel.

It may be a very long time before you play another RTS...

19. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 20:46 Golem

Why, oh why, didn't they just create map packs with new armies? I would have bought them all. Or did they lose their ability to create and balance a few more armies? I can't see how that was/is the case since they had so many races in DoW and DoW2. CoH is still the best RTS in my opinion. I can't stand most of the others with there large groups of troops standing around firing on each other out in the open until they all drop or take out the enemy. If the troops don't use cover and terrain reasonably I don't care to play it. I hope they consider another sequel.  

18. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 20:13 DangerDog

Battlefield Play4Free (Pay2Win) needs to suffer the same fate as this, I'm sure DICE will tap into a niche group of fools that will purchase Battlefield Points to upgrade their weapons and crap.

17. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 19:38 warmbluelasers

Yay?

Can I have a normal RTS game now?

No?

16. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 19:17 TurdFergasun

it seems these days if game designers can't tap into the grind/reward addiction centers of the brain then they don't see it as a profitable venture.  

15. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 19:04 Slashman

Overon wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 18:53:
aeonos wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 16:07:
Great game and a great franchise - i certainly hope this isn't the end of Company of Heroes.
steep learning curve as an obstacle to new players trying to get started in Company of Heroes Online.
really?

That's why they developed dawn of war 2.

Because ignorance and stupidity are now the driving forces behind game design?

Why even bother to pretend you're making an RTS anymore if you really want to make a light RPG?

'Oh no! Building, upgrading and defending a base is simply too much for any normal person to handle?(Starcraft 2 was such a flop). Let's just give them levels and loot drops instead!!!'

14. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 18:53 Overon

aeonos wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 16:07:
Great game and a great franchise - i certainly hope this isn't the end of Company of Heroes.
steep learning curve as an obstacle to new players trying to get started in Company of Heroes Online.
really?

That's why they developed dawn of war 2.

13. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 18:01 RaZ0r!

So I didn't get screwed buying the complete COH on a Steam sale just days before the launch of COHO after all!!!  

12. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 17:41 Prez

Homeworld 3 please.

Just don't make it online or else I'll projectile vomit.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

11. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 17:31 Dmitri_M

Yeah it's a classic. It still looks and sounds great. There's an excellent mod for the game http://www.moddb.com/mods/blitzkrieg for anyone looking for new content to freshen things up.  

10. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 17:02 fujiJuice

The CoH engine is so much fun, it is a shame they haven't gone and done a different war using it. I would of certainly bought it.  

9. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:54 Tumbler

The real game was so cheap already and you pay once and own it forever... the free version never made sense to me.

This. Relic seems like they've moved into a "let's just milk what we've got" mode. The games they are making don't seem to be taking risks and trying new things. CoH was awesome. DoW was awesome. Expansions for both those games were great in my opinion. Until Tales of Honor with CoH which I think showed up around the same time as DoW2. I haven't been as impressed with them since those products showed up. Can't shake the feeling that they are half-assing things now because they have such a strong reputation. I think it's officially "had a strong reputation".

They took some risks with DoW2 and how that plays but it felt more like they were trying really hard to keep content sparse so that they could dish it out in the future for more money.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:32 Mr. Anisotonic

you mean Homeworld? I thought they just lost the IP rights to this franchise in the whole Sierra affair. In any case though, I would accept to play no other games for the next 5 years if it meant that I could get a Homeworld 3.  

7. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:30 Bet

bhcompy wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 16:25:
This is the same company that also killed another awesome RTS franchise(imho the best visually, possibly the most difficult, and something that has never been duplicated). I don't know why they continue to do this.
They were acquired by THQ the year after Homeworld 2 came out. Not much they can do from the inside. Plus I think most of the people responsible for Homeworld and CoH design have left the company. Depressing really.

6. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:30 Rhett

Yeah! They need to listen!

Homeworld 3 and Company of Heroes: Desert Combat (AKA, modern CoH)! Do eet!

5. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:25 bhcompy

This is the same company that also killed another awesome RTS franchise(imho the best visually, possibly the most difficult, and something that has never been duplicated). I don't know why they continue to do this.  

4. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:19 StingingVelvet

Sad to hear CoH is in question as a franchise but I am happy to hear that the stupid free version died quickly. The real game was so cheap already and you pay once and own it forever... the free version never made sense to me.  

3. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:07 aeonos

really?

http://allgamelinks.com/

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo