Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Magicka Patched

Another new patch for Magicka is now automatically available on Steam, addressing more issues with Arrowhead Games' new action/adventure. The patch includes some balance tweaks as well as bug fixes, which are all detailed below.

Fixes

• Fixed save games disappearing when disconnecting from online game. (For real this time)
  • Fixed crash for alternative character models appearing in cutscenes. (Chapter 7, Chapter 12).
  • Fixed crash caused by conjuring large quantities of elements.
  • Fixed crash due to beams merging.
  • Fixed crash where Chapter 11 boss collided with shield.
  • Fixed crash where Clients and servers would send old messages when reconnecting.
  • Fixed high-end machine jitter.
  • Improved network batching. (should result in serious network performance increase).
  • Improved startup routine to prevent threading problems.
  • Improved authentification on connect. (should result in fewer auth-failed)
  • Fixed a missing file that resulted in french text not appearing correctly.
  • Fixed immovable objects jittering.
  • Fixed issue where characters would get stuck during cutscenes.
  • Fixed issue where scripted player movement would remain after a cutscene.
  • Fixed missing boss titles.
  • Steam join through overlay fixed.
  • Fixed Chapter 1 collision. (behind door)
  • Fixed Chapter 3 collision. (you can now fall down the well)
  • Fixed Chapter 7 cutscene lockups and other issues.
  • Fixed Chapter 8 cutscene lockup.
  • Fixed Chapter 8 navigation fixed.
  • Fixed Chapter 9 cutscene lockups.
  • Fixed Chapter 11 teleport issue.
  • Fixed Chapter 12 cutscene lockup.
  • Conflagration is now properly synced over network.

Features/Balance

• Chapter 3 now has proper pirates by the picnic.
  • Chapter 8 now has manual exit at the end of level.
  • Fire Damage increased from 40 to 60.
  • Spawned summons now capped at 16 per player.
  • Goblin Pirate damage reduced from 155 to 72.
  • Added server list filter option for “Password”.
  • Removed obsolete port option of game hosting (always hosted on 27016 anyways).
  • Server list sorting added (click the header).

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 2, 2011, 03:42 OpticNerve

Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 02:05:
I find that the game difficulty seems the same whether you have 4 players or are flying solo. Thus, the game is extremely challenging in some places in SP mode.

I have a theory with my friends that the game is quite a bit tougher in a full MP game just for the fact that there's such mass chaos and hilarity when you have a 4-player co-op game going. There are so many accidental deaths and miscasting that it sort of nullifies the amount of players on your side. Unfortunately 2-player MP is where things get a bit too easy since you have wider berth to cast spells and the lack of enemy ramping makes things a bit of a cakewalk.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 2, 2011, 02:05 Prez

I find that the game difficulty seems the same whether you have 4 players or are flying solo. Thus, the game is extremely challenging in some places in SP mode. Still, it's a great game. I'm enjoying the humor and the gameplay immensely. Kudos to Arrowhead and Paradox.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 2, 2011, 01:41 bigspender

everything is heaps better now, HEAPS!

i love this game best $10 ever spent

5. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 1, 2011, 23:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

This game is slowly getting more stable in multiplayer... finally FINISHED a multiplayer challenge game by beating level 20, as opposed to either:

Getting bumped/blasted into an unreachable area of the map
Getting eaten through a shield by a yeti/troll
The ever present crashes to desktop/freezes for 1 or more players.

Great fun, but great frustration sometimes. Also there seems to be a real problem still, especially in Havindr arena, with items from chests falling THROUGH the map, maybe 1 out of 8 or 9 items or so.

Still, I've easily gotten more playtime/enjoyment out of this for 9.99 than any other full retail game in months.

4. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 1, 2011, 21:33 OpticNerve

The recent patches seem to have shaped up MP quite well although there are still a few bugs and optimizations that still need to be done. Played a bunch of 4 player co-op Challenge games without any problems. I also played a 4-player co-op Adventure game with some friends and we all lasted until Chapter 3 when two of them got booted from the game. MP seems like less of a bandwidth hog with this recent patch (prior to this patch, someone on the Steam forums tested it and said it used up as much as 8x as much bandwidth as Titan Quest when hosting another player) but it seems better now.

Overall, it still needs some work and features (it's still a memory hog, uses up a bit too much bandwidth for this type of game and drastically needs a drop-in/drop-out feature) but at the rate the devs have been releasing patches and listening to player feedback, I'm sure they'll eventually get to fixing up most of the remaining problems.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2011, 21:56.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

3. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 1, 2011, 17:02 fatguy

The multi still runs terribly for me, but had a few steam friends say it runs well for them.  

2. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 1, 2011, 14:35 Wowbagger_TIP

Dunno about multiplayer, but I started playing single player after the last patch, and I have only had one crash, which I think was due to the beam collision issue that they apparently fixed in this latest patch. Haven't encountered any other problems.

Having fun with this game. Haven't laughed so much at a game since Portal.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 1, 2011, 14:12 Elessar

Can anyone confirm if these patches are truly stabilizing the game? I've been holding off on getting it until some of the issues were worked out.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo