Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Rise and Fall of Interplay

All three parts of Matt Chat's video interview with Brian Fargo are now online, offering a verbal history of Interplay Entertainment. There's Matt Chat 89 where the Interplay founder discusses "his early days, the story of Bard's Tale, life at Interplay, Wizardry, and the humor of Battlechess," Matt Chat 90 covers "Wasteland, Fallout, Stonekeep, and more," as well as, "modern CRPGs and why the 80s style (parties and turn-based) went away." Finally, the topic of Matt Chat 91 is "the fall of Interplay." Thanks Ant.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Feb 3, 2011, 02:08 swaaye

Rigs wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 09:54:
]There are two things in my history of playing games that I will never forget or forgive - one was KA and the other was Babylon5: Into The Fire...

Really the way KA ended up was a result of the complete failure of its butchered predecessor, SFA. The two games share a lot of tech and have most of the same gameplay issues. I don't really believe that patching would have improved KA much because the engine itself should have been completely overhauled instead of "enhanced" as it was.

At least they managed to get it running above 640x480. KA damn near came locked to that resolution but one of their programmers got resolution scaling hacked in towards the end.

The Star Trek games pretty much bombed for them too as far as I could tell. SFC was somewhat successful but I think that was about it. SFA must have been a real disaster I think. KA seemed to be a sort of "get more ROI" quickie project that still had delays and issues. Uhg. And lets not discuss STNW! Yikes!

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2011, 02:19.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Feb 1, 2011, 21:04 Ant

Doma wrote on Jan 31, 2011, 12:48:
Matt Chat is very good.

That is all
Ditto. I subscribed to his videos on YouTube.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Feb 1, 2011, 15:45 Kedyn

Yeah, good god, who could forget STONEKEEP? A game of animated photographs of muppet party members.

God that game was gay.

8. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Feb 1, 2011, 11:03 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Jan 31, 2011, 17:47:
Two words: Klingon Academy

Someone needs to snipe that arrogant son of a bitch... X|

You want to advocate murder because they made a particular game you did not like. Clearly violent games do not cause people to be violent. No sir... .

7. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Feb 1, 2011, 09:54 Rigs

As I have stated a few times in the past when Mr. Fargo's name or the disaster he caused comes up in the news, KA and the tragedy of it's post-release will forever be remembered by me and the KA fans and modders. I have also said in the past that I would one day write an article explaining the whole damn mess and I still plan to do so. I'm sure that the majority of the gaming public these days has no idea of the damage Fargo wrought during his reign. There are two things in my history of playing games that I will never forget or forgive - one was KA and the other was Babylon5: Into The Fire...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

6. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Jan 31, 2011, 23:45 swaaye

They made a bunch of games that didn't sell well, basically. Especially at the end of the '90s...... Some were pretty wacky and creative, but some were total garbage (ST New Worlds!!!).  

5. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Jan 31, 2011, 21:39 Cutter

I miss old Interplay.  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Jan 31, 2011, 18:41 derelict koan

Love Matt Chat, he does great work.  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

3. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Jan 31, 2011, 17:47 Rigs

Two words: Klingon Academy

Someone needs to snipe that arrogant son of a bitch...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

2. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Jan 31, 2011, 14:39 Techie714

Yea, I'm going to check this out.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Jan 31, 2011, 12:48 Doma

Matt Chat is very good.

That is all