Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers

Blizzard Entertainment is attempting to curtail gold selling for World of Warcraft by targeting gold sellers' PayPal accounts, reports Curse. They reproduce a mail being sent to gold sellers by PayPal stating that they were reported by Blizzard for an Intellectual Properties violation, and they are required to remove all World of Warcraft merchandise from their websites in order to comply with the Acceptable Use Policy. Thanks Eurogamer.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 16:01 AnointedSword

I am glad. They spam, they steal accounts, they are evil! oO  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 14:17 Mashiki Amiketo

winnetou wrote on Jan 29, 2011, 09:51:
One possible approach is SPF. I was actually about to rant about how Blizzard had ignored my frequent suggestions to implement it, but a check revealed they got around to do it.
Now what's left to eliminate this problem would be a wide adoption of the appropriate checks on our ISPs' receiving mail servers.
Considering the entire email framework needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, things like SPF are only patchwork measures. Getting ISP's to actually adopt something like that? Doubt it'll ever happen. Hell ISP's have had 10 years to implement IPv6, and most still haven't gotten around to it, rather they're using patchwork NAT devices.

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 29, 2011, 11:55:
FFS what the HELL are you talking about?
Obviously something you don't understand.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 13:18 Yifes

If they gave Blizzard a cut of the profits under the table they wouldn't mind.

Wrong. Many gold selling companies have attempted to make deals with Blizzard to sell gold legitimately, but have all been turned away.

You're just full of it aren't you?

18. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 12:45 Lit_Reflex001

"When WoW goes Free-to-play in a few years they'll get into this business for themselves. Selling gear and gold for IRL cash. Until then they squash any of the little guys who try to do it before them. "

Don't expect that to happen anytime soon. I used to play Ultima Online like 10 years ago and that game is still running somewhat strong with a subscription user base.

The only thing that will make World of Warcraft F2P is a WOW part 2. Not even a seperate MMO from Blizzard will do this.

17. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 12:34 ColoradoHoudini

I sure hope Rift has a system in place to deal with gold sellers.

16. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 11:55 Fibrocyte

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 29, 2011, 01:59:
Something to note: A WoW account is still worth more than a CC number or bank account.

FFS what the HELL are you talking about?

15. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 09:51 winnetou

Mindless spam...does blizzard control the internet too? Well no, so how do you stop mindless spam being sent from broken relays in asia? Ban all asian IP's?
One possible approach is SPF. I was actually about to rant about how Blizzard had ignored my frequent suggestions to implement it, but a check revealed they got around to do it.
Now what's left to eliminate this problem would be a wide adoption of the appropriate checks on our ISPs' receiving mail servers.

14. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 09:51 Umbragen

More misuse of IP rights laws. When fascism comes to America it will come draped in a flag, carrying a bible and bitching loudly about intellectual property rights.  

13. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 07:41 Jonny

Or they could sell gold themselves, much like CCP does. People are buying the stuff anyway or it wouldn't be profitable enough to bother with, at least if Blizzard sold it alongside sparkleponies and pets there'd be a lot less account hacking and annoying spam.  

12. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 06:54 Mangrove

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 29, 2011, 01:15:
I made $40,000 buying and selling online game accounts before they banned selling on Ebay.

I still see game accounts selling on ebay. I think people get around it by selling a delightful paperclip, which comes with a free account. Admittedly, this is ebay UK, so perhaps the law is different here.

11. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 04:08 PropheT

You think it's taken them 6 years? Man what world do you live in?

The one where this is news today and the game is six years old?

Blizzard hasn't done squat about gold sellers for years. It's ridiculous to expect them to stop all spam emails, but they haven't really done anything in-game in their own backyard, either.

I can't see how this will work, either. People's PayPal accounts and what they're used for aren't any of Blizzard's business. They just start selling the time involved rather than the gold and there's no argument, and I'm sure most of them already do this anyway...other companies already tried this a long time ago.

10. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 01:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 21:49:
And it's only taken them 6 years to start this? And no, this is about them controlling the market, not saving their users from useless spam. Every single day I get 2-4 pieces of phising spam from "Blizzard" why can't they take care of that?

You think it's taken them 6 years? Man what world do you live in? Actually never mind. Mindless spam...does blizzard control the internet too? Well no, so how do you stop mindless spam being sent from broken relays in asia? Ban all asian IP's? Ah no.

Something to note: A WoW account is still worth more than a CC number or bank account.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 01:15 JohnBirshire

I made $40,000 buying and selling online game accounts before they banned selling on Ebay. Needless to say, I was severely dissapointed. The frustrating part is that the owners of the IPs didn't even care. *only a select few vocal ones are against it* UO and AC were the main two I traded. You could even pay for an Ultima Online account transfer for $30, which I used often to make the buyer feel more comfortable. It was a win win for everybody. I made money. They made money both from the account having a new subscriber instead of being cancelled, and from the transfer.

Unfortunately Blizzard throwing a fit convinced Ebay to ban sales, for all games, not just theirs.

8. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 00:10 Kxmode

|oR|jonvall wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 21:37:
Fion wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 20:41:
And here WoW players would always tell me Blizzard 'wants' gold sellers. I always said 'bullshit'. I guess I was right after all.

Yeah...you were right....now here's your freakin cookie!

A fortune cookie I once had read "An alien of some sort will be appearing to you shortly." At first I chuckled and passed it off as an illegal alien, and then I thought, "Wait a minute. What if some sort means the extraterrestrial kind?!"

7. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 28, 2011, 23:39 Sepharo

Icewind wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 23:05:
If they gave Blizzard a cut of the profits under the table they wouldn't mind.

Rolleyes

6. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 28, 2011, 23:05 Icewind

And here WoW players would always tell me Blizzard 'wants' gold sellers. I always said 'bullshit'. I guess I was right after all.

It's only because Blizzard isn't getting a cut. It's similar to how the mob takes out dealers who don't work for them or pay them a cut. Same thing here, just a different "drug".

If they gave Blizzard a cut of the profits under the table they wouldn't mind. It's like how they don't attack user-run player servers but that one where the admin made a few million selling in-game items was sued into oblivion.

When WoW goes Free-to-play in a few years they'll get into this business for themselves. Selling gear and gold for IRL cash. Until then they squash any of the little guys who try to do it before them.

5. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 28, 2011, 23:04 [VG]Reagle

I guess a guy in a sweat shop 18 hours a day killing rats is a bad thing?  

As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

4. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 28, 2011, 22:47 Frijoles

How do you purpose Blizzard stop phishing scams that involve a 3rd party emailing you? What I wish they had done with Cata was to give everyone a free authenticator. That'd help with the account hijacking at least.  

3. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 28, 2011, 21:49 Cutter

And it's only taken them 6 years to start this? And no, this is about them controlling the market, not saving their users from useless spam. Every single day I get 2-4 pieces of phising spam from "Blizzard" why can't they take care of that?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 28, 2011, 21:37 |oR|jonvall

Yeah...you were right....now here's your freakin cookie!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo