Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Authenticator Campaign, Poll, Wallpaper

Blizzard announces a Core Hound Pup Adoption Campaign, as they look to encourage take-up of the Battle.net Authenticator or the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator to help secure World of Warcraft user's accounts. They are requesting screenshots of the Core Hound Pup that comes with the authenticators, offering iPads as prizes for the best shots. They also have a new poll up about the World of Warcraft community site, and they announce they now have over one million fans of their Warcraft Facebook Page, and they have added a new desktop wallpaper to their wallpaper gallery. Thanks Ant.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: World of Warcraft Authenticator Campaign, Poll, Wallpaper Jan 29, 2011, 09:55 winnetou

Cutter wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 21:47:
Why not just make it a Bnet authenticator and start putting them in their boxed games? I'll use one, I'm just not going to order one.
The Cataclysm expansion would have been a great opportunity to ensure their distribution, but unfortunately, that didn't happen. Perhaps the fact that it might have lowered their digital sale figures had something to do with it. Or it already has considerable adoption, so the extra security tokens would just be wasted.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: World of Warcraft Authenticator Campaign, Poll, Wallpaper Jan 29, 2011, 07:18 peels

I got an email telling me that my account was compromised two weeks ago and I hadn't logged in for weeks beforehand. Just got something back from them about opening up my account and I have been told that it appears my computer has a trojan/virus or spyware.

Except I've found nothing on my laptop whatsoever (work laptop so don't go to dodgy sites/etc). To me, the likely source for being compromised is at their end and not mine.

Wonder how long it will be before logins will be restricted to IP ranges and their warden to prevent cheating will start running all the time to try and detect keyloggers ...

4. Re: World of Warcraft Authenticator Campaign, Poll, Wallpaper Jan 29, 2011, 06:21 Veterator

I just hope that one day they admit that their end is insecure as well. Authenticators are great and all, but I still have a hard time believing their system has never been compromised. Even if they can't get your password, it's possible they can get enough information on your account to get access to it via other means if you don't have the authenticator. I refuse to believe Blizzard has never been compromised, and when they admit they have been...then I'll hear how authenticators secure the weak links in the process. Until then it's smoke and mirrors and they still put the blame entirely on the people who pay to use their services.

I'll admit that users probably compromise their own accounts more often than not, but it's much too common for inactive accounts to be suddenly breached.

3. Re: World of Warcraft Authenticator Campaign, Poll, Wallpaper Jan 28, 2011, 23:47 Wallshadows

While Blizzard is pretty on the ball with restoring compromised attacks, it's still an inconvenience and was worth the pocket change required to pay for it.  

2. Re: World of Warcraft Authenticator Campaign, Poll, Wallpaper Jan 28, 2011, 22:49 Minneyar

The problem with putting them in their boxed games is that you only need one. After you have one, you'll use the same device to log in to Battle.net or any of their games. If they put them in their retail boxes, you'd end up with multiple authenticators that you didn't need.

And seriously -- the mobile authenticator is free, and the physical device is only $6.50 (with free shipping!). It's more than worth it if you even play WoW casually.

1. Re: World of Warcraft Authenticator Campaign, Poll, Wallpaper Jan 28, 2011, 21:47 Cutter

Why not just make it a Bnet authenticator and start putting them in their boxed games? I'll use one, I'm just not going to order one.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo