Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs

The Ubisoft forums offer the system requirements for IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, 1C's upcoming combat flight simulator. These specs follow.

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3
PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+ (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)
RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)
VIDEO CARD: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*
DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)
DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X
SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible
HARD DISK: 10GB
PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)
MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:
ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970
NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 28, 2011, 21:41 Rigs

Indeed, I was gonna say as much, WoP has a great little single-player campaign. What's better though, is the IL-2 dynamic campaign generators. IL-2 always came with many missions but, at least in the early days of the series, there was no 'dynamic' play. I'm not sure if this was introduced later on (in Pacific Fighters and 1946, as, while I do own them both, I haven't had anywhere near the time to get into them). It's almost a given that a flight sim without a dynamic campaign system will eventually have one released in the form of a mod. F4 had one built in, but it was tweaked and tuned to perfection with help of the source code. (While officially, the source was 'leaked', it was a last ditch attempt by the dev team to save the game and years of hard work)...

Somewhat off-topic, but while flight-sims tend to have generous options in the mission and campaign side of things, space-sims usually don't have anything as robust. Whenever I here about dynamic campaigns in a sim, I immediately think of 'what could have been' in regards to the best space-sim ever NOT released - Babylon 5: Into The Fire. The dynamic campaign in the game was to be one of the most advanced ever put into code and I truly think that if it had been finished and released, space-sims would be better off today and the market as active as it is for flight-sims (which suffered a lull of it's own a few years back)...

Sorry, it's just pains this old-timer to think back and watch a genre of PC gaming die when a lot of what makes flight-sims thrive so much today could be applied to space-sims... *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 28, 2011, 18:22 PunkiBastardo

|oR|jonvall wrote on Jan 27, 2011, 18:26:
I bought him Wings of Prey for Christmas but it seems to be multiplayer only

Wings of prey has got a full singleplayer campaign, bought it on christmas sale and been enjoying it's singleplayer ever since...

13. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 21:19 zoomboy27a

Having flown IL2 for many years - especially the on-line multi-player dog-fights and co-ops, the cost of the joystick will be more than covered. Months at a time I played - even got a TrackIR

As for complexity, WW2 planes are much simpler - I just used 4 keys and a simple MS joystick with throttle

I am flying the DCS Black Shark every day and enjoying it(always use the start-up short-cut cuz I just wanna fly). Picked up the A-10C last week - still learning. Lot of systems to learn

But in IL2 I would just hop in any! bird and get going.

12. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 19:43 |oR|jonvall

Awesome thanks jimnms! Found it on the UBSoft page for $7! Just picked it up for him!  

11. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 19:15 jimnms

Wildone wrote on Jan 27, 2011, 15:36:
You think Blackshark was hard, try DCS A10 holy shmoley!
I didn't think it was hard, I just couldn't get motivated into learning the complex systems, which is what I used to love about hardcore sims.

|oR|jonvall wrote on Jan 27, 2011, 18:26:
I'm not up on flight sims.....my dad is into them though. He used to fly small planes and loves the dog fighting type games and attacking ground targets. I bought him Wings of Prey for Christmas but it seems to be multiplayer only and he just wants to fly missions against the computer.

If I'm not mistaken this is a series of games right? Also how is this game for somebody like my dad....he's in his 70's and doesn't want anything too complicated. Oh and where can I find info on the complete series, assuming this is a series?
This is a new game, but it is made by the same people behind the IL-2 series of sims. This was going to be called Storm of War, but it was changed to "IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover" to associate it with the success of the previous IL-2 titles. This would probably be right up his alley.

Grab IL-2 1946 from GoG.com for him. It contains all of the previous IL-2 games and expansions into one package.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 18:26 |oR|jonvall

I'm not up on flight sims.....my dad is into them though. He used to fly small planes and loves the dog fighting type games and attacking ground targets. I bought him Wings of Prey for Christmas but it seems to be multiplayer only and he just wants to fly missions against the computer.

If I'm not mistaken this is a series of games right? Also how is this game for somebody like my dad....he's in his 70's and doesn't want anything too complicated. Oh and where can I find info on the complete series, assuming this is a series?

9. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 17:51 Marvin T. Martian

Wildone wrote on Jan 27, 2011, 11:47:
H.A.W.X.2 iz 4U den LaWL

HAWX is POS.

8. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 15:36 Wildone

You think Blackshark was hard, try DCS A10 holy shmoley!  

7. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 13:26 sfMadMax

I'm still getting the 580 then in 2 years I'll get the 680

lol

6. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 13:06 Optional nickname

sfMadMax wrote on Jan 27, 2011, 12:54:
Woah, What about the Nvidia 580 ???

I was going to buy one!

You should wait for the 680 due out Q4, 2011. actually, sometime in 2013-2014, the GPU is expected to outperform current 580 by a factor of close to 500x. Friends at Nvidia told me.

5. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 12:59 jimnms

Optional nickname wrote on Jan 27, 2011, 11:34:
I bought Saitek gear back in the day when Falcon 4.0 came out. I quickly got discouraged at the steep learning curve of the game, that or I just didn't allow enough patience to keep at it. I still love flying and sims, but I think I will keep it casual from now on. But this is one game that would want me to setup 3x LCD's for. GT5 PS3 is stealing all my free time nowadays.
Hardcore sims like Falcon 3 is what drew me to PC games. I used to love that shit. I still have my original Falcon 4.0 with the big ass 700+ page manual in a 3-ring binder. I couldn't get any of my friends into hardcore sims at that time.

Now things have changed. I have a friend (one of the same friends that wouldn't get Falcon 4) that got DCS: Black Shark ad begged me to get it and fly some coop. I was excited when DCS: Black Shark was announced, but passed on it at release due to the use of StarForce limited online activation scheme. I caved in and bought it, played it for a couple of days. I was able to fly it easy (using engine auto start), but when I started trying to learn the real startup procedures, engine management, weapon systems, etc. I just couldn't get stick with it.

Back when I first got Falcon 4, I ate that shit up. I went through each training mission, following the guide in the manual while doing it in the sim. Learning the systems was half the fun. Once I got to know how things worked, I finally began flying a campaign.

Eventually I didn't have time to fly Falcon 4 anymore, due to college and a career in real world aviation. I eventually did try to get back into Falcon 4.0, but there were a lot of separate groups that took over continuing development after the original developers were shut down and the source code was "leaked." What killed it for me the second time was trying to keep up.

Then when Falcon 4.0: Allied Force came out, I got back into it again for a short while. I started from scratch, going through the training again. Some stuff hadn't changed much and I was able to quickly pick it up, but there was a lot of new things and different things. I had fun with it though. The training was the best part because when I began to fly campaigns, it had become routine and was no longer fun to me.

I still love WW2 sims though. They can be realistic, and not be overly complex since you don't have to learn how to program MFDs, manage radar systems, program bomb release parameters, etc. I still jump into IL-2: 1946 every now and then.

I'm probably going to pick this up, maybe not on release day though.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 12:54 sfMadMax

Woah, What about the Nvidia 580 ???

I was going to buy one!

3. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 11:47 Wildone

H.A.W.X.2 iz 4U den LaWL  

2. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 11:34 Optional nickname

I bought Saitek gear back in the day when Falcon 4.0 came out. I quickly got discouraged at the steep learning curve of the game, that or I just didn't allow enough patience to keep at it. I still love flying and sims, but I think I will keep it casual from now on. But this is one game that would want me to setup 3x LCD's for. GT5 PS3 is stealing all my free time nowadays.  

1. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Specs Jan 27, 2011, 11:07 Techie714 ©

This game really makes me want to purchase a stick & rudder system. But not sure I would spend hours on in playing this game to justify the cost..  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo