Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter has issued a response to Gamers' Voice after they reacted to him calling them a "cry baby" over their efforts at calling out Activision to the UK government over unhappiness at the shipping state of Call of Duty: Black Ops for the PC and PS3. Pachter's missive is posted on Computer and Video Games (thanks Joao), where the admittedly "arrogant" analyst seems interested in a war of words on this topic. Here's an excerpt from his 953(!) word response:

"Now that I have had the opportunity to take their comments into consideration, I think that I may have insulted all crybabies by using that word to describe Gamers' Voice. They seem genuinely unaware about standards for product performance in the UK and elsewhere; products must perform adequately, not flawlessly, unless there are safety or health concerns.

"As far as I am aware, none of the bugs in Black Ops cause people to have seizures, so I'm pretty sure that health is not a concern. I am also not aware of any issues with safety, unless the Gamers' Voice organization is concerned that the overweight segment of the gaming population might suffer if they have to arise from the sofa to re-boot their PS3s when they seize up.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 26, 2011, 13:57 Sty

OldScho0l wrote on Jan 26, 2011, 05:59:
The solution to getting assholes like this out of the industry is to not buy the half-assed products that he and his investors are connected to.

^ This.

Last time I bought an Activision product was the beginning of 2008. Never will again.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 26, 2011, 12:56 avianflu

Pachter is paid by a private investment firm. He basically writes PR for his firm's investment, disguised as "news."

This is the first though that Pachter blew his top, and he may quickly regret that. It is not the kind of attention his investment firm wants.

19. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 26, 2011, 07:34 Golwar

OldScho0l wrote on Jan 26, 2011, 05:59:
The solution to getting assholes like this out of the industry is to not buy the half-assed products that he and his investors are connected to. He basically told us all that he doesn't give F*** if the products work properly and to me, things can only get worse with that type of attitude. Their games suck anyways. When the money stops rolling in, he will be on the streets looking for a new job.

They constantly put out unfinished products and you jackasses keep buying them with some silly expectation that the games will be as good as the games of old. Not gonna happen. People make games for cash now. Not to make good games.

Sorry, but you care a little bit too much about Pachter. Why should we refuse to buy great games (nope, I don't mean CoD), just in case that a troll decided to give them his blessing?

90% of all news related to Pachter don't have more content or background, than 90% of us at Blue could deliver too. We even can troll and flame on his level, as many comments prove.
I have no clue why he is spotlighted so much, but I surely won't base my purchase or not-to-purchase decisions on his agendas.

18. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 26, 2011, 05:59 OldScho0l

The solution to getting assholes like this out of the industry is to not buy the half-assed products that he and his investors are connected to. He basically told us all that he doesn't give F*** if the products work properly and to me, things can only get worse with that type of attitude. Their games suck anyways. When the money stops rolling in, he will be on the streets looking for a new job.

They constantly put out unfinished products and you jackasses keep buying them with some silly expectation that the games will be as good as the games of old. Not gonna happen. People make games for cash now. Not to make good games.

17. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 20:48 SirKnight

Who ever keeps giving this guy pay checks needs to be kicked in the balls. Hard.

Same for those ADD console kiddies going to the government about bugs in software.

16. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 19:35 wolve

I'm siding with Pachter too in this case despite him being a douchebag. Complaining to a government agency about a buggy videogame is being a crybaby IMO.  

15. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 19:05 Golwar

Well the best weapon we customers have isn't to request help from some government, but to decide where we put our money. So frankly, I can't shed tears for anyone who felt the need to buy BO. I'd like to slap all those map pack buyers anyways, seems that Activision granted me my wish.  

14. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 18:47 Pankin

"I am also not aware of any issues with safety, unless the Gamers' Voice organization is concerned that the overweight segment of the gaming population might suffer if they have to arise from the sofa to re-boot their PS3s when they seize up."

This was kinda funny.

13. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 18:13 Prez

Soap opera melodrama aside, I think the main issue is how to define "working adequately" when determining if this is an issue for external commission review.

I really have no idea how these thing work, but it seems to me that how high a priority something like this will be to any external oversight-centric body would be directly dependent upon how important the item in question is. A car would seem to be of much higher importance that a piece of entertainment software.

And while I despise Pachter's childish antics, I can't help but kind of see his point. I just wouldn't put it in such a dick-ish manner as he is known for.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2011, 18:39.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 17:44 Cutter

So I gues when Pachter buys a new car he doesn't care that it doesn't perform as intended? That it starts and stops incessantly, that most of the gizmos work off and on at best? Gee, I guess he missed his calling as a consumer advocate.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 17:19 xXBatmanXx

Wow, he just doesn't know when to STFU.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 16:54 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 16:11:
If anyone even thinks about defending this piece of shit, a stain on his and my profession, let me quote him directly from his wall of text:

"It's my job to advise investors, and many of my clients are owners of Activision stock. Gamers' Voice is right that my bias is on the side of the publishers, and the pragmatist in me recognizes that it is poor business to release inferior products."

When an analyst is biased he is no longer an analyst. Most often than not an analyst, a good one at least, will have to disagree against the client's demands in order to protect the client's investment. The moment an analyst becomes biased then things like 2008 happen. The moment an analyst admits he is biased then he is providing an inferior service and admits it.

And not only that, the whole wall of text is pretty much defending the industry and saying gamers as consumers have no rights whatsoever even though he contradicts himself in that quote above.

It's thanks to clowns like these that people hate analysts, no wonder this bastard never made it outside the entertainment industry, believe it or not other industries actually don't like biased, dick-sucking analysts since they are unable to do their proper job. Keep trying to sell those crashing WWE stocks, Pachter, which you said would be profitable, it's fun to watch that you're useless outside the gaming industry as well.

Good post, I like your points. Thanks.

9. attention dumbfucks Jan 25, 2011, 16:29 space captain

Paketep wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 16:23:
He's the worst thing this industry has now that Thompson is out. Could we please stop giving him ANY publicity at all?. Thanks.

how many times and how many people have requested this here? and yet the pachter posts go on and on and on...

some of you need to learn where the "ignore" switch is inside your own brains, that knowledge comes in handy i can assure you

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 16:27 Draugr

Seems to me that Gamer's voice is getting everything they wanted out of this.
Appealing to regulators is an end game, PR is the opening strategy and that seems to be working so far.

But hey that's alright, the more Pachter talks the more it becomes obvious who signs his checks and what his motives are... Not that it wasn't before.

7. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 16:26 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 16:14:
It's sad when I'm ready to openly mock Pachter and then ASeven has to go and rain on my parade by saying somewhat silly things.

Silly? Care to tell me how to do my job, or how to recognize pitfalls in it?

6. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 16:24 Bet

Beamer wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 16:14:
It's sad when I'm ready to openly mock Pachter and then ASeven has to go and rain on my parade by saying somewhat silly things.
Mock him anyway. You know this thread is going to explode regardless. The net has been waiting for this, after all.

5. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 16:23 Paketep

Yawn. Pachter again.

Damn. Who the fuck is interested in whatever that idiot has to say beside his GameTrailers fanboys?.

He's the worst thing this industry has now that Thompson is out. Could we please stop giving him ANY publicity at all?. Thanks.

4. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 16:22 Parallax Abstraction

That the gaming press continues to lazily rely on this useless hack for quotes shows just how little actual "journalism" there is in this industry.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Pachter vs. Gamer's Voice Jan 25, 2011, 16:14 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. puts you there where things are hollow Jan 25, 2011, 16:13 space captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-_30HA7rec  
Go forth, and kill!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >