Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2

EA announces the release of Dead Space 2 in North America, saying the survival/horror shooter sequel is due in Europe on January 28. Word is: "Dead Space 2 pushes the limits of action, horror and terror. After mysteriously awaking in a sprawling, massive city anchored to one of Saturnís moons, hero Isaac Clarke again finds himself thrust into the middle of a relentless Necromorph outbreak. Surrounded by the screeching cries of undead monsters and the haunting drum of echoing noises, Isaac plots a course through The Sprawl. Dead Space 2 is noted by critics worldwide for delivering an epic terror experience that takes players on an explosive thrill ride filled with intense action and spine-tingling scares through deep space." Visceral Games also announces Dead Space 2: Severed, a DLC pack for consoles, though this does not sound like it's destined for PCs at this point.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 26, 2011, 00:50 swaaye

The AA thing is really the developer's responsibility though.

I'm thinking the game engine must be rather similar to the original, meaning it's a DirectX 9 deferred renderer which usually means it's impossible to support AA. Somehow NV and ATI hack it in these games sometimes though (usually there are quirks however like blur).

Basically the developer doesn't care about AA and is perhaps using very obsolete technology. And obviously two of the game's platforms can't handle it anyway so why bother I guess. Yippee.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 26, 2011, 00:49 Zardoz5

Rattlehead wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 17:13:
My laptop can run Dead Space 1 on high settings pretty well for the most part. Does DS2 have the same performance as the first?

Performance looks as good if not better for me on my old 8800GT/6850 rig after playing for a few hours. I crank the fan up before playing games to prevent overheating and its running a few degrees cooler playing DS2 than DS1 with comparable settings, most effects are on or set to high.

Super annoying thing no. 1. Having a joystick plugged in throws the movable menu so its off screen when loading the game, wtf Visceral, seriously. Unplugging my joystick centered it automatically.

So far I'm having a blast with DS2, its more of DS goodness with cool stuff going on around you, making it more immersive. ie people running away from Necros, stuff blowing up. Things you can't change but add to the atmosphere.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 26, 2011, 00:32 Jerykk

I hope there's some kind of AA workaround for ATI drivers. ATI actually disabled driver-level AA for DS2 in a recent driver update. Boggles the mind, really. Driver updates should fix and/or enable features, not disable them. It's especially annoying when they say "Fixed negative Crossfire scaling" when they actually mean "Disabled Crossfire entirely."

My next videocard will be an Nvidia one unless ATI gets their shit together and puts more effort into Crossfire and AA support.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 20:54 StingingVelvet

nVidia actually did figure out AA in Dead Space and now Dead Space 2... follow instructions here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20473911&postcount=9  

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 17:27 Rattlehead

Cool thanks for the heads up.  

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 17:25 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 17:13:
My laptop can run Dead Space 1 on high settings pretty well for the most part. Does DS2 have the same performance as the first?

Hard for me to tell really as I run both at locked 60fps... this one has shadow settings though, which might help a weaker GPU. Not sure the first had that. It also has toggles for pretty much every particle effect ever conceived.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 17:13 Rattlehead

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 16:44 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 16:44:
It boggles my mind how brass they can be to not even address the vsync/mouse issue from the previous game.

Can you rebind keys this time around?

You can rebind keys in both games, the issue some had with the original was you could not use certain keys in the numpad area. Not sure if that is still the case, since I use WASD.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 16:44 Bumpy

It boggles my mind how brass they can be to not even address the vsync/mouse issue from the previous game.

Can you rebind keys this time around?

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 16:29 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:39:
Does this support AA (either in-game or through drivers)?

Same exact thing as the first, sadly. Actually worse because even with the in-game AA blur thing on I still see a ton of jaggies, which I don't remember having a huge issue with in the first game. Either the edge blur is not working or this game has some lighting that makes jaggies more obvious.

Overall it's exactly the same game as the original so far, only with faster aiming.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 16:27 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:58:
The CE looks like a huge ripoff if that plasma toy on Youtube is any indication.

Well I got it for only $10 extra through amazon, and mainly because I like nice boxes. The gun is indeed lame, but the box is so fucking awesome I can overlook it. Not sure about the in-game bonuses or soundtrack yet.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:58 Verno

The CE looks like a huge ripoff if that plasma toy on Youtube is any indication.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:42 StingingVelvet

Collector's edition is some of the sexiest packaging in a long time, much better than most recent CEs. The little plasma gun is poo though, sadly.

Can't believe this game needs 2 DVDs to install 10GB. I thought compression was far better than that (though I am not complaining).

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:39 Jerykk

Does this support AA (either in-game or through drivers)?  

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:28 baltar

Amazon had the CE for about $65 at one time - which means if you preordered it early and didn't cancel it, you would get it at that price with their preorder price guarantee.  

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:19 JayDeath

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:16:
JayDeath wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:15:
Gogamer has it for $49.90! I was looking for a deal and I found one. WooT!
D2D had it for $47 all weekend long, I kept posting about it on these boards

ooohhh, I missed that one. I'm still excited I don't have to pay $60 bucks for this one.

Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:17 SpectralMeat

Ahh okay I thought it was an Elite suit or something like I have in DS1.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:16 Verno

I think there were some other stuff that unlocks if you have a save game from DS1. Not sure if that was consoles only or PC as well.
I am going to pick up my copy on my way home from work. Can't wait to blast some limbs off of those zombies.

There's a reskinned Plasma Cutter if you have a DS1 savefile but according to the devs its stats and everything are identical to the replacement you get in DS2.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:16 SpectralMeat

JayDeath wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:15:
Gogamer has it for $49.90! I was looking for a deal and I found one. WooT!
D2D had it for $47 all weekend long, I kept posting about it on these boards

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 25, 2011, 15:15 SpectralMeat

I think there were some other stuff that unlocks if you have a save game from DS1. Not sure if that was consoles only or PC as well.
I am going to pick up my copy on my way home from work. Can't wait to blast some limbs off of those zombies.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo