Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine

Pete Hines says the "creation" engine from Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be finding its way into future Bethesda games, reports VG247 from their ever-upcoming interview with the Bethesda PR maven. "Yeah, I mean obviously, whatever Bethesda Game Studios works on after Skyrim will take advantage of the tech that they have developed," he told them. "But what that next product is or what it’s going to be? Everybody’s gonna have to wait and see."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Feb 14, 2011, 01:07 Viktor King

Id Tech 5 is very limited. It has megatexture, it has large outdoor environments, but... for example, it has static, prerendered lighting (unlike Id Tech 4).

Todd Howard said: "Id Tech 5 is the best thing in the world at doing a very static environment that looks pretty and you're going to run through. But for the kinds of things I like to do, I like the world to be more dynamic."

How about this?

I flat-out don't buy it.

Now I'm not a Programming Major or anything, but as an experienced gamer with at least a basic understanding of modding, it would seem that in RAGE players and NPCs are already doing most of what players and NPCs typically do in Elder Scrolls games.

I'm not seeing the limitations. At all.

The horses in ES-V would move a little slower than the tricked-out buggies in RAGE, there'd be an inventory and stat system, expansive enviroments, and a cast of thousands.

So where does idTech 5 fall short exactly?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 26, 2011, 00:57 swaaye

I think Gamebryo gets too much flak and Bethesda's programmers not enough. That engine is pretty flexible and has been used for a wide range of games.

But still Oblivion and Fallout 3 are definitely the most stable Bethesda games in their history. Morrowind basically didn't work until after a few patches and most of their older games never worked right.

baltar wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:32:
Screw all this noise we need a sequel to Terminator Future Shock and Skynet. Get to it Bethesda!

Hell yeah.

19. Re: belief vs fact Jan 25, 2011, 19:04 Pankin

space captain wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 12:30:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 12:21:
Where'd you read that?

there is this new thing called the "internet" where they have all kinds of information

Source distantly originates from the GoldSrc engine, itself a heavily modified version of the QuakeWorld iteration of John D. Carmack's Quake engine, as is explained by Valve employee Erik Johnson on the Valve Developer Community:[30]

When we were getting very close to releasing Half-Life (less than a week or so), we found there were already some projects that we needed to start working on, but we couldn't risk checking in code to the shipping version of the game. At that point we forked off the code in VSS to be both $/Goldsrc and /$Src. Over the next few years, we used these terms internally as "Goldsource" and "Source". At least initially, the Goldsrc branch of code referred to the codebase that was currently released, and Src referred to the next set of more risky technology that we were working on. When it came down to show Half-Life 2 for the first time at E3, it was part of our internal communication to refer to the "Source" engine vs. the "Goldsource" engine, and the name stuck.

Source was developed part-by-part from this fork onwards, slowly replacing GoldSrc in Valve's internal projects[31] and explaining in part the reasons behind its unusually modular nature. Valve's development of Source since has been a mixture of licensed middleware (Havok Physics, albeit heavily modified, and MP3 playback) and in-house-developed code.

and now jeryyk, you may begin your arguments about why your belief is more correct than mine.. however i must warn you that i could give a rats ass about them... beliefs, that is

Jerykk, the adult thing to do here is to say the following...

You're right, I was wrong.

Trust me, although it may sting a little at first, your character will be bolstered and you'll walk through & emerge a man! You can do it!!

18. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 16:35 Spektr

Skyrim combat preview on Gameinformer.  

17. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 15:32 baltar

Screw all this noise we need a sequel to Terminator Future Shock and Skynet. Get to it Bethesda!  

16. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 14:49 Creston

Please, dear God, let it be more stable than that piece of shit Gamebryo engine...

Creston

15. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 14:43 Hump

I wish Bethsoft would release some screenshots for the game.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

14. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 13:54 Kxmode

Blizzard's Titan perhaps?  

13. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 13:32 Soulburner

Viktor King wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 12:57:
I'm confused, honestly. I thought the whole point of the idSoft buy/merge and subsequent lock-down of licensing/publishing of idTech 5 games was that ZeniMax wanted to leverage Carmack's technically superior engines to make ZeniMax a bigger player.

The 64hz off-timing of the GameBryo engine (apparently doing so well after '350 games' that it's for sale) is not a deal-breaker, but when Unreal 3 is everywhere and Rage demonstrates that idTech 5 is more than capable of the expansive environments that are a staple of Elder Scrolls, I'm wondering why this isn't the plan to begin with.

Id Tech 5 is very limited. It has megatexture, it has large outdoor environments, but... for example, it has static, prerendered lighting (unlike Id Tech 4).

Todd Howard said: "Id Tech 5 is the best thing in the world at doing a very static environment that looks pretty and you're going to run through. But for the kinds of things I like to do, I like the world to be more dynamic." (source)

12. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 12:57 Viktor King

I'm confused, honestly. I thought the whole point of the idSoft buy/merge and subsequent lock-down of licensing/publishing of idTech 5 games was that ZeniMax wanted to leverage Carmack's technically superior engines to make ZeniMax a bigger player.

The 64hz off-timing of the GameBryo engine (apparently doing so well after '350 games' that it's for sale) is not a deal-breaker, but when Unreal 3 is everywhere and Rage demonstrates that idTech 5 is more than capable of the expansive environments that are a staple of Elder Scrolls, I'm wondering why this isn't the plan to begin with.

11. Re: another tiddlybit from engineer boss Jan 25, 2011, 12:44 Scottish Martial Arts

The difference is that Quake 1 was an incredibly solid engine. Gamebryo, on the other hand, is a colossal piece of shit.  

10. another tiddlybit from engineer boss Jan 25, 2011, 12:35 space captain

John Carmack commented on his blog in 2004 that "there are still bits of early Quake code in Half-Life 2".

Go forth, and kill!

9. belief vs fact Jan 25, 2011, 12:30 space captain

Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 12:21:
Where'd you read that?

there is this new thing called the "internet" where they have all kinds of information

Source distantly originates from the GoldSrc engine, itself a heavily modified version of the QuakeWorld iteration of John D. Carmack's Quake engine, as is explained by Valve employee Erik Johnson on the Valve Developer Community:[30]

When we were getting very close to releasing Half-Life (less than a week or so), we found there were already some projects that we needed to start working on, but we couldn't risk checking in code to the shipping version of the game. At that point we forked off the code in VSS to be both $/Goldsrc and /$Src. Over the next few years, we used these terms internally as "Goldsource" and "Source". At least initially, the Goldsrc branch of code referred to the codebase that was currently released, and Src referred to the next set of more risky technology that we were working on. When it came down to show Half-Life 2 for the first time at E3, it was part of our internal communication to refer to the "Source" engine vs. the "Goldsource" engine, and the name stuck.

Source was developed part-by-part from this fork onwards, slowly replacing GoldSrc in Valve's internal projects[31] and explaining in part the reasons behind its unusually modular nature. Valve's development of Source since has been a mixture of licensed middleware (Havok Physics, albeit heavily modified, and MP3 playback) and in-house-developed code.

and now jeryyk, you may begin your arguments about why your belief is more correct than mine.. however i must warn you that i could give a rats ass about them... beliefs, that is

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 12:21 Jerykk

valve built HL2 using a highly modified quake 1 engine.. it looked good but wasnt technically "new" either - doesnt seem like it matters what they call it if the engine works well or doesnt work well

Where'd you read that? HL1 was built on a highly modified Quake 1 engine. The Source engine was built from scratch, I believe.

7. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 11:40 Luther

>>it looked good but wasn't technically "new" either

Agreed! It irritates me no end when people brand a body of code as 'old' and fit to be replaced without having the slightest clue what that means. Sure, sometimes it's best to start again but most of the time most of the code is fine. In fact, old code is often better as it's been tested and you should never underestimate how much testing costs. Code can get crufty but often that cruft is there to deal with particular problems encountered on strange hardware.
I'm sick of hearing internet pundits who don't know a compiler from a hole in ground complain that 'Game X needs a new engine - the faces r
strang!' when that's clearly an art issue anyway.

The only time you need to cauterise major sections of code is when a (genuine) new paradigm comes along - hardware acceleration, multi-processor, completely different language, that sort of thing.

Even then, I'm sure the keyboard handling code from 20 years ago is just fine.

6. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 10:59 space captain

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 10:25:
I was under the impression they were still using Gamebryo just extremely modified. Not sure how that equates to being called a "new" engine by any means.

valve built HL2 using a highly modified quake 1 engine.. it looked good but wasnt technically "new" either - doesnt seem like it matters what they call it if the engine works well or doesnt work well

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 10:27 StingingVelvet

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 10:25:
I was under the impression they were still using Gamebryo just extremely modified. Not sure how that equates to being called a "new" engine by any means.

They called the Oblivion engine a "new" engine even though it was an evolution of Morrowind's. Just looking at the pictures for Skyrim should prove to anyone the core is the same.

4. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 10:27 StingingVelvet

justice7 wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 10:13:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 10:07:
I wonder if it will be Fallout 4... nah, that's crazy talk! It will be such a surprise if it is Fallout 4!

Not really, kinda expected.

Your sarcasm detector is way off, I made it as obvious as possible.

3. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 10:25 RollinThundr

2. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 25, 2011, 10:13 justice7

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 10:07:
I wonder if it will be Fallout 4... nah, that's crazy talk! It will be such a surprise if it is Fallout 4!

Not really, kinda expected.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo