Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever"

SOE's John Smedley tweets that they are working on restocking DC Universe Online, as the superhero MMORPG is Sony Online Entertainment's fastest selling game ever: "Working on out-of-stock problems for DCUO. It's out [sic] fastest selling game ever. Should have more inventory in Monday." Thanks VG247.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 25, 2011, 10:18 Verno

Alamar wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 08:21:

So you won't read his mind, because he's an individual, but you'll read the minds of 'the people'?

-Alamar

There's a difference between making a generalized guess and being asked to authoritatively comment on someone else's personal taste.

-Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 25, 2011, 08:21 Alamar

I'm really curious what people mean when they say 'lacks depth'... And what games don't lack depth?

Yeah hang on I'll read your mind and determine your individual taste to predict what game would suit you. Some people play MMOs for years, some people play Tetris on and off their whole lives. I am not summing up the experience sheerly by volume of gameplay, I was just saying I don't see enough to hold people over for those kinds of time committments.

So you won't read his mind, because he's an individual, but you'll read the minds of 'the people'?

-Alamar

35. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever" Jan 25, 2011, 06:47 Nick W

In a month or two they'll set the record for fastest churn in a SOE game too.  

34. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 25, 2011, 05:02 Jerykk

Most scrubs that read Blues News cant even level to 20 let alone level cap, run dungeons and raid. If they could they would just cry about it. I doubt any of you have ever even level capped in an MMO

I played Tribes daily for about 2 years straight. No loot or leveling needed. Just deep and compelling gameplay.

The problem with 99.9% of MMOs is that loot and leveling are the sole incentives to keep playing. Take those things away and you're left with just the lackluster gameplay. MMOs aren't good action games, they aren't good adventure games, they aren't good RPGs, they aren't good platformers and they aren't good strategy games. When it comes to actual gameplay, they don't really excel in any regard. It's a problem of scope, really. When you need to accommodate thousands of players within the same gameworld, you have to make tons of content and the quality of this content inevitably suffers from being generic and shallow. Some MMOs have interesting backstories, sure, but you're better off saving your time and money and just reading that stuff on some website.

As SV mentioned, MMOs have the potential to be genuinely interesting games with depth. For example, concepts like permadeath and the ability to have a meaningful impact on the gameworld (for everyone, not just yourself). However, to make a game like that would be risky and less accessible, so the vast majority of MMOs don't even try.

33. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 21:15 StingingVelvet

Grounded wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 19:25:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 19:12:

Just because you enjoy the endless, pointless loot hunt doesn't mean other more rational beings do.

Ah ok so you dont like MMO's then....got ya.

Hahaha... I like how you didn't bother refuting the summary. Awesome.

I love the idea of MMOs, of thousands or even millions of players interacting and changing the virtual world together. Unfortunately pretty much every MMO, at least in recent times, has been about collecting 20 raptor paws and running the same dungeons over and over for MOAR LEWT!

32. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 19:40 Veterator

If leveling to cap, dungeon runs and raiding are the extent of "depth" in MMOs.....that's kind of sad.

I know it's the most common way for these devs to attract the same old same old crowds, but there are things they could try to actually expand the possibilities of people playing who are not monotonous combat whores. I mean....EQ1 and WoW, you pretty much want your run to be smoother and fast each run. So by this simple fact the only time you try anything new is if it may end up being smoother or faster. If it takes much longer, if you wipe, or if anything goes wrong..it's considered a failure 90% of the time....even if you clear the whole place. This is not "depth", it's more like putting the same puzzle together a couple hundred times until you memorize the picture. Because I have yet to see a dungeon that actually changes. There might be some off-timing to cause a different amount NPCS to show up, but...the patrols are the same, the spawns are the same besides a few "rares" and in general...everything is exactly the same. Nothing ever changes unless someone screws up...so the "depth" there is being a perfect scripted robot for that particular dungeon.

Aion was not my cup of tea, EQ2 should have been called something else because it was not an Everquest sequel when I tried it out back at it's launch no matter how they named cities and races.

Just a few examples of what is never changed formula wise between these MMOs because it's what people expect/demand/whatever.

PVP, server wide PVP is notoriously bad, everyone points to DAOC and says they like it. Except the only game to date to try to do it in a similar manner is WAR and they screwed that up. In general PVP servers boil down to griefing and ganking, which is not "depth"...it adds no value to the game experience for anyone but the person griefing or ganking and ruins it for many others. Very stupid system.

PVP instances, instances have no bearing whatsoever on the game world. It's just a secondary system for equipment earning, titles, and status. It's become so ingrained and un-fun in WoW that people run bot programs to do it for them. Again, not depth. It adds nothing to the game world, nothing persistent about it, nothing to crafting, nothing.

Crafting, basically you gather or combine. You skill up and find/buy recipes. Once you have them all...you have a set chance at making something of a certain value and that's it. There's almost no experimentation or modification when it comes to crafting. I understand why, it's frustrating to gather all that crap and fail. But in the long term, crafting has a small role to play in most of these games. Where they could just as easily have made it so crafters are needed to access dungeons, build outposts, or change the PVP grounds in your sides favor.
An example of dungeon access would be: building a bridge to span a chasm.

An example of outposts would be: Fix crumbling walls, build an inn, create a safe zone to which friendly NPCs would spawn and guard cutting travel time and such down. Even upgrade existing places to allow for flight points in WoW to cut down on non-direct routes.

An example of PVP grounds: Create fixed gun placements, add spikes to the walls for more defense, add traps, make a draw bridge instead of a bridge so people have to assault from other, narrower and more easily defended locations to get the bridge down.

When everything is combat oriented to such a minor degree, the only thing that has "depth" is combat. But sometimes people want to do other things. I think it'd be pretty cool to have an outpost I can say I had a major hand in building and maintaining, especially if it was near some place I liked spending my combat time in. Could even customize it to be more convenient for people like myself.

31. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 19:37 Cutter

Grounded wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 19:10:
Not in defense of SOE, but please tell me what game, MMO or not, has enough depth and susbstance that I wouldn't get bored from playing it for a few hours a day over a few months.

Everquest 2?

Aion?

World of Warcraft

Everquest 1?

Most scrubs that read Blues News cant even level to 20 let alone level cap, run dungeons and raid. If they could they would just cry about it. I doubt any of you have ever even level capped in an MMO

Scrubs? LOL! Well, aren't you the uber-leet gamer! Take another hit off the crackpipe there, guy. Most of us can, and have, done all that stuff in our sleep. It's precicesly because we're so skilled, and those games are so easy, that we get bored easily and complain for lack of a challenge. So, rub-a-dub-dub, you're the scrub in the tub.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

30. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 19:25 Grounded

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 19:12:

Just because you enjoy the endless, pointless loot hunt doesn't mean other more rational beings do.

Ah ok so you dont like MMO's then....got ya.

29. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever" Jan 24, 2011, 19:18 Veterator

In my opinion, the true test of an MMO comes about 3 months after launch.

If they are still growing, then you should take another look.

If it's maintaining it's launch player base even with turnover...then it's probably not changed enough from when you tried it in beta to bother going back.

If they stop posting about how good they are doing or their population numbers, or make a point to post older ones or tip toe around the point....the community is shrinking and the "new shiny" that clouds people decision making is beginning to fade away.

That "new shiny" is a killer for people who are tired of being burned on review and overall opinion of a game in the first 2-3 months... I think the publishers thrive on that instead of actually trying to be new and different in their approach.

28. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 19:12 StingingVelvet

Grounded wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 19:10:
Not in defense of SOE, but please tell me what game, MMO or not, has enough depth and susbstance that I wouldn't get bored from playing it for a few hours a day over a few months.

Everquest 2?

Aion?

World of Warcraft

Everquest 1?

27. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 19:10 Grounded

Everquest 2?

Aion?

World of Warcraft

Everquest 1?

26. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 18:05 StingingVelvet

Fion wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 16:41:
Yes cutter because no game ever made for consoles and PC has ever been good, ever.

You miss his point... the game is neutered due to console-focused design. 6 hotkeys, very little civilian population on the streets, terrible chat system, terrible mouse control, etc. etc.. Since it is a success we might see more MMOs on the PS3, which means more console design on the PC versions.

It's not that every FPS and RPG for the last 5 years or so has been a bad game, it's that they have all been worse than they should have been on the PC due to console limitations. Seeing that happen to MMOs would break a lot of hearts, if you get my meaning.

25. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 16:52 The Half Elf

The only thing that even comes across 'consolish' is the controls and the UI. The Combo system with mouse buttons takes some getting use to but can be done. And the UI is just... console all the way, no way to sugar coat it.

Other then that as others have stated, it's a great little action/combat based MMO that most people won't be playing after 2 months. Reason for this is they could easily hit 30 within a week and do most if not all the rest of the content within the remaining 3 weeks of the subscription (double that for both hero and villains).

What really boggles me is how smoothly the game is considering it's just 1 big huge zone for each city, and APB was abysmal performance wise.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

24. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 16:41 Fion

Yes cutter because no game ever made for consoles and PC has ever been good, ever.  

23. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 16:40 Cutter

Yes, but if you don't really care much for MMO as is, hten you really won't like this as it's a consolized MMO, which is even worse. PC gamers weren't even a consideration for this game, so caveat emptor.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 14:36 Verno

Ruffiana wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 14:30:

Yeah hang on I'll read your mind and determine your individual taste to predict what game would suit you. Some people play MMOs for years, some people play Tetris on and off their whole lives. I am not summing up the experience sheerly by volume of gameplay, I was just saying I don't see enough to hold people over for those kinds of time committments.

21. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 14:30 Ruffiana

B - the game has little depth or substance, most people will move on after a few months. It is a very transitory MMO.

20. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever" Jan 24, 2011, 13:26 kanniballl

The way I see it is this...

If you're looking for a traditional (or semi-traditional) MMORPG with super heroes like City of Heroes or even Champions online... this isn't it.

If you're just looking for a MMO action game or hack-n-slash with super heroes (and DC ones at that) then it's fun.

Leveling is perhaps a bit too fast, but from what I've reading talking to some people online the end-game content is quite good. Much more expansive than CoH or CO. Meanwhile, CO had semi-fast leveling and NO end-game content.

Do I see myself playing for years and years and years? No

But I'm enjoying myself for now.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 12:41 NicklePop

I disagree with the negativity here, I am absolutely loving this game.

I don't think I have had as much fun doing coop gameplay.

Will I sub for 4 years like I did with WoW? doubtful

I will play for new expansions/content though, because the game itself is simply awesome.

18. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 12:37 Verno

Not really, even the most ardent console warrior will admit the MMO is the PC's stronghold. I'm actually surprised the PS3 version is selling more copies at all.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo