Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Direct2Drive Game Rentals

Direct2Drive is now offering digital game rentals, where you can get five hours of gameplay for $5.00, and the $5.00 can be applied to the purchase of the full game if you decide you want to commit to the full purchase. At this time they only seem to have three game choices, GRID, Silent Hill Homecoming, and Divinity 2.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 25, 2011, 04:18 Lit_Reflex001

True. It just seemed kind of short, but now that I think about it, it's not so bad.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 24, 2011, 15:33 MxxCon

Anonymous wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 15:09:
I don't know about the rest of you, but $5 for 5 hours is a total rip-off.

$5 for 3 days is more appropriate.
you want 72 hours of GAMEPLAY for $5?
keep dreaming.
only like 1% of all games on the market right now are that long.

35. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 24, 2011, 15:09 Lit_Reflex001

I don't know about the rest of you, but $5 for 5 hours is a total rip-off.

$5 for 3 days is more appropriate.

34. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 24, 2011, 09:56 Verno

That's a problem with you, not PC gaming. There are tons of bargains and deals to be found on the DD services and most are so good that I don't even consider the lack of resale to be an issue. Frankly if you're a cheap gamer then the PC is the platform to beat. Also the console industry is doing its best to kill used games and rentals while reducing value of ownership for those as well. Your complaint is easily applied to the console industry too so I'm not even sure how you can fault PC gaming for it.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

33. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 15:20 Tumbler

Which is why I can't see most devs going for it, it is way too consumer friendly.

This in a nutshell is the problem with PC gaming. If a 5 hour trial for $5 is too consumer friendly I'd say that is absolutely pathetic. All these people who say gaming is such a great value per dollar spent and if pubs had to let someone play their game for 5 hours they'd never make any money?

I agree 100% that pubs/devs would feel this way and that is why I hate buying pc games. If 5 hours is the magic point then paying $50 for your games is more like paying $10 an hour. (for most people)

I'll wait for them to hit $5 and pay $1 per hour for pc game entertainment.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

32. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 15:07 Armengar

GRID has also been on sale on steam. I picked it up for a couple of quid at least 6 months ago.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

31. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 12:54 Warskull

PHJF wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 19:34:
Dude it's five hours of game time, not a five-hour rental. Big difference. AND it goes towards your possible purchase.

Which is why I can't see most devs going for it, it is way too consumer friendly.

1) Most games don't have that long a campaign
2) Most games actually aren't that good, let's face it what we all call good for the most part is merely average and what we call average/mediocre is bad but still playable.
3) This directly undermines the hype engine. Almost all video game reviewers/writers are completely full of shit, they've become an extension of marketing.

This would put a huge ding in the bottom line for most games.

30. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 10:28 SpectralMeat

One thing to keep in mind if anyone thinking about renting GRID, it is $39.99 on D2D and it is $14.95 on Steam. I know D2D offers price matching so I am sure they will adjust the price for you if you decide to rent/buy that game.

D2D also offers Dead Space 2 for 20% off, type in "survival" as a promo code. $59.99 is a rip off for any of the PC games imo but if you want to buy Dead Space 2 anyways this promo will at least save you a little money.

Steam: SpectralMeat

29. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 10:21 Overon

This will give a precedent to dev to stop making proper demos and force everybody pay money for this.
I think for multiplatform games, that ship has sailed and it's already happening.
I don't see many publishers agreeing to this, just the most financially hurting ones.

28. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 10:10 SpectralMeat

Razorclaw wrote on Jan 23, 2011, 00:25:
this is a great idea. and definitely steam which is already completely a subscription service should also embrace it.

Steam already does this with the free weekends where you can play a certain game for free all weekend long. Sure it is not always the latest and greatest games that have the free weekend thingy but it doesn't cost you anything to try the game.

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 03:41 MxxCon

I think this is a horrible idea.
You are paying money to play a fucking demo!
This will give a precedent to dev to stop making proper demos and force everybody pay money for this.
If devs will adopt this and stop releasing demos then people will have even more reason to pirate since they'll have no other choice to try a game.

26. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 01:19 Kabuto

I would have applauded this a few years back, but now that excellent deals offered through digital distribution services are the norm, $5 rentals seem pointless. The only way this new services makes sense for me as a consumer is if new titles are offered VERY quickly after release. Otherwise, I might as well wait for it to go on sale for $5-$10 and get the entire game.  

25. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 00:25 vermin

this is a great idea. and definitely steam which is already completely a subscription service should also embrace it.  

24. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 23, 2011, 00:21 Halo

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 19:55:
How much do console game rentals cost? Because I'm pretty sure you could beat 99.9% of single-player campaigns within the rental period.

This.

I can't think of a single game you can actually finish in 5 hours. I haven't played Kane and Lynch 2 yeat, but even those Call of Duty games will take you north of six. Remember, this 5 hours includes things like changing your settings, load times, etc.

So for most short games you'll probably get 80-90% through, then be told you need $35 to continue.

Still pretty good I get bored with most games after five hours, I'll call it gaming ADD.

23. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 22, 2011, 22:05 Jivaro

PHJF wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 19:34:
Dude it's five hours of game time, not a five-hour rental. Big difference. AND it goes towards your possible purchase.

Level Up!
+2 Intelligence
+1 Wisdom
+2 Internet skill points*
You have gained the "Reading Comprehension" mastery ability.

*Don't forget to visit the character screen to assign your new skill points.

22. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 22, 2011, 19:55 Beamer

How much do console game rentals cost? Because I'm pretty sure you could beat 99.9% of single-player campaigns within the rental period.

This.

I can't think of a single game you can actually finish in 5 hours. I haven't played Kane and Lynch 2 yeat, but even those Call of Duty games will take you north of six. Remember, this 5 hours includes things like changing your settings, load times, etc.

So for most short games you'll probably get 80-90% through, then be told you need $35 to continue.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 22, 2011, 19:34 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 22, 2011, 19:32 Jerykk

Charging $5 for a 5hrs stint in Dragon Age is fine - charging $5 for 5hrs in a game like COD with a 4hr campaign is financial suicide.

19. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 22, 2011, 19:19 reisub

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 19:11:
*snip*
I didn't suggest they put every game up for this. Some games are way too short, some start too slowly to catch potential buyers attention. I also suggested shorter rental periods.

So I guess we mostly agree. I do think that being a new business model they're likely to ignore it, even though they could benefit from it.

18. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 22, 2011, 19:15 Tumbler

This is good news! I feel like 5 hours is a bit short...but wasn't the SC2 trial something like 6 hours? Didn't have to be consecutive and that ended up being plenty. So I could see with $5 for new releases to try.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo