Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details

Here's the official announcement of the just revealed plan to release Duke Nukem Forever on May 3, 2011 in North America, and May 6, 2011 in Europe. This includes word on how to qualify for the demo: "Players looking to get access to the Duke Nukem Forever playable demo before it is publicly released can join the Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club. A membership certificate for the Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club is included within the Borderlands™ Game of the Year edition, where customers will be able to experience the definitive, value-packed collection of the critically acclaimed and best-selling Role-Playing-Shooter that has captured the imagination and attention of single-player and cooperative gamers around the world." The press release is accompanied by new Duke Nukem Forever screenshots (along with the box art), as well as the Duke Nukem Forever "reveal" trailer, which includes gameplay footage from the shooter sequel. The clip is embedded below after you show your ID to our vigilant digital doorman.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 30, 2011, 09:14 Ledge

its got a release date, but ill believe it when its in my hands.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 22, 2011, 14:30 Kosumo

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 01:11:
What AA does is smooth. What defocusing does is smooth.

Funny, I thought that defocusing blurred not smooth.

Next time we are having a debrif at work and I get pulled up for a blurry camera shot, I tell them that they don't know what they are talking about, Beamer says that I'm not out of focus, I'm smooth.

After 17 years as a camera operator I'll have to find a new job fuck

p.s.

Rock on Duke

76. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 22, 2011, 12:29 Jay

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 01:11:
For the type of AA people want you will not see on an HDTV. The reason why you're seeing the issue right now is that the engines are cutting corners. A more powerful machine won't have to cut these corners. It'll have more effective ways of doing it than costly AA.

AA is actually very cheap compared to rendering in higher resolution. (eg. to get the same amount of visual comfort as a render with 4xMSAA at 1080p, the render without AA has to be rendering at 7680x4320) The reason why AA was so expensive in previous gen GPUs was because the hardware wasn't built for it. With latest development such as nvidia's coverage based techs and ati's screen space based AA (which incur almost no framerate hit) it can only get cheaper.

75. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 22, 2011, 12:25 reisub

If this was still using the Build engine I'd get it, as long as it's true to Duke 3D (would be easier in that case I guess ;P).  

74. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo  Details<br> Jan 22, 2011, 07:51 Prez

What would help out more here (assuming this isn't the style you're going for), AA or a faster engine that allows for smaller, better built pieces?

My 'not-an-expert-in-any-of-this' layman answer would be 'both'. In the extreme example you posted, obviously a better engine that could display more polygons would have a more noticeable effect than AA, but in a normal console game, I can easily spot the lack of AA. I'm not even sure why this is an argument. I don't know the science of it, but when I see my friends playing on their consoles while sitting on their couch, the lack of it is usually pretty obvious.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

73. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo  Details<br> Jan 22, 2011, 02:55 Jerykk

Jaggie heaven. Why? Because it's made up of large pieces. What would help out more here (assuming this isn't the style you're going for), AA or a faster engine that allows for smaller, better built pieces?

What you're basically talking about is higher resolutions. Lower resolution = fewer pixels. Fewer pixels = larger pixels if the image is stretched to fit your entire screen. Fewer pixels + larger screens = even larger pixels. HDTVs usually have large displays. When a console game renders at 1280x720 (or less, as is growing increasingly common these days) and has no AA, that results in large pixels and thus, lots of obvious aliasing.

72. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 22, 2011, 02:22 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 18:23:
Jay wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 18:19:
To see if you can notice aliasing at really far away:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_11.html
stand away from the monitor.

Yeah, because a picture the size of my thumb is a good measure. Looking at that little thing from normal distance is still smaller than how I see my TV and I can see jaggies all over the place.

I find this need to "prove" things on this silly. I know a lack of AA is noticeable on an HDTV from 8' away or so because I can tell when there is no AA on an HDTV 8' or so from me. There is no need for research or documents on the matter, I can look at it and know, the proof is seeing it with my own eyes. Infamous was a jaggy mess.

Exactly. All of this bullshit from overly defensive platform warriors aside, it is easy and demonstrable to see on any HDTV from near and far distances. There's a reason the Xbox and PS3 support hardware AA but unfortunately the rest of the video specs have fallen behind the times. Given how ludicrously powerful actual modern video hardware is, there's no reason we should not see hardware AA in next-gen consoles and AA in many titles.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

71. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo  Details<br> Jan 22, 2011, 01:16 Beamer

If you want an example of what the hell I'm talking about, look at this picture from Minecraft:
Click

Jaggie heaven. Why? Because it's made up of large pieces. What would help out more here (assuming this isn't the style you're going for), AA or a faster engine that allows for smaller, better built pieces?

For something like telephone wires in the distance you'll never see what AA does on an HDTV. Not like on a monitor. You'll just have to make sacrifices in the engine to get it to work without really noticing it. That horsepower is better put to more polygons and more effects.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

70. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 22, 2011, 01:11 Beamer

The details you can't see aren't really lost - they're just defocused. Usually the human brain is very good at interpreting such data.

What AA does is smooth. What defocusing does is smooth.

For the type of AA people want you will not see on an HDTV. The reason why you're seeing the issue right now is that the engines are cutting corners. A more powerful machine won't have to cut these corners. It'll have more effective ways of doing it than costly AA.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

69. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 22:20 Hyatus

I disagree. I think Betamax is better than VHS.  

68. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 19:11 RoboNerd

The artist who did the original Duke Nukem box art is my friend. I am biased, but this new box isn't in the same league. A little known fact is he modeled Duke's face after his brother, who now is a lawyer.  

67. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 18:54 bigspender

wow suprise suprise, its a childish piece of shit.....  

66. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 18:39 Jay

There's also a link in the article for full size images.
I wasn't actually trying to prove any argument - some people have problem with jaggies and some don't. I personally play most of my games with AA because I can easily notice it even when I'm sitting far away enough so that I can't make out individual pixels. The reason is simple: The details you can't see aren't really lost - they're just defocused. Usually the human brain is very good at interpreting such data.

65. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 18:23 StingingVelvet

Jay wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 18:19:

Yeah, because a picture the size of my thumb is a good measure. Looking at that little thing from normal distance is still smaller than how I see my TV and I can see jaggies all over the place.

I find this need to "prove" things on this silly. I know a lack of AA is noticeable on an HDTV from 8' away or so because I can tell when there is no AA on an HDTV 8' or so from me. There is no need for research or documents on the matter, I can look at it and know, the proof is seeing it with my own eyes. Infamous was a jaggy mess.

64. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 18:19 Jay

63. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:42 sauron

nin wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 17:12:
Hehe, just kidding. Also, pipe bombs or the shrink ray?

Just remember, if earlier reports are correct, you'll only be carrying two weapons at a time.

In that case, the answer is BOTH.

Kittens!

62. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:39 StingingVelvet

Ratty wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 17:25:
Console games don't use AA? How come I never knew that?

Some do and some don't.

61. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:25 Ratty

Console games don't use AA? How come I never knew that?  

60. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:18 StingingVelvet

Grumpy Sod wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 17:11:
The whole 'why do games still not have AA in' thing was covered a few months ago by someone who clearly knew what they were actually talking about.

The simple fact is that the engine writers (Epic I'm looking at you) chose a method of rendering which renders (ho ho) AA impossible under normal circumstances.

Somehow this has once again been totally forgotten and is being blamed on the game makers or the console makers. I guess there's a certain amount of blame you _could_ apportion on the game makers due to the fact they chose to license a lacking engine, but really it's a stupid pointless whine.

The really sad part is that DX10 allows for AA in UE3 and other such engines, as it allows for differed lighting and AA at the same time. No one except DICE and, ironically, Epic themselves in Gears of War bothers to support DX10 to allow AA though.

Rockstar even made some comment about how they could have had AA in GT4 if they supported DX10 but that they weren't going to bother doing so.

59. Re: DNF Date Announcement, Trailer, Demo Details Jan 21, 2011, 17:12 nin

Hehe, just kidding. Also, pipe bombs or the shrink ray?

Just remember, if earlier reports are correct, you'll only be carrying two weapons at a time.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo