Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful

Bethesda PR VP Pete Hines tells VG247 that it is unlikely we will get a playable demo for RAGE, id Software's upcoming first-person shooter. "Itís something we look at for every game and we do it where possible and where appropriate,Ē Hines told them today. "But to be perfectly honest, from a technical standpoint, it isnít always possible. I donít see a demo for RAGE on the cards." He adds: "I guess itís not a zero percent chance, but itís somewhere down on that end of the spectrum." This represents a significant change for id, who were acquired by Bethesda parent Zenimax in 2009, as all their games through QUAKE were released as shareware, and every one of their games since QUAKE II have had playable demos.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Feb 22, 2011, 22:32 Ant

chinab2cc1 wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 22:31:
thank you
For?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Feb 22, 2011, 22:31 chinab2cc1

thank you  

48. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Feb 18, 2011, 11:44 Arithon

Dunkirk wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 10:09:
Good grief! I can't believe the level of vitriol I'm seeing here. Video games are a great value for entertainment. Even at $50, the cost per hour of video gaming is virtually nothing compared to almost any other form of entertainment I can think of. So what if you buy a stinker now or then. Shoot, by the time you figure out you don't like a game, you've probably already played it for 2 or 3 hours. That alone would make it worth at least some money.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a good sense of what I'd like. I threw some money at the indy's during the Steam sales and the Humble Bundles, but I knew I wouldn't care for those games. I just thought it would be cool to support them. Sure enough, I don't really like most (almost all) of them, but I spent time playing around with them before I could tell, and that's worth something. In general, I've only given up and not finished a handful of games over the past 15 years because I didn't like them. I'd say the gamble has averaged out and paid off. For every one I didn't finish, I've played 5 through a dozen times.

You don't think you'd like it? Fine. Don't buy it. But NOT buying it REGARDLESS of whether you think you'd like it, BECAUSE there's no demo? Please. I think you're taking your $50 entertainment budget a little too seriously.

"No demo" might be fine for console gamers who all have the same hardware, but many PC gamers cannot trust the recommended specs on the box because they LIE. A demo can confirm a game will indeed run on your PC and not require the highest spec PC & GFX to get more than 15fps. Game reviews are less and less reliable, since the media don't want to risk losing advertisers by posting a bad review. For example COD:BO online is a consolised twitch-shooter. Find a review that tells you that! Play the game and you find out straight away. Had a demo been availble I could have stopped my wife wasting my Christmas present.

Games in the UK cost £40 ($64US) so taking a punt on a game without a demo could be a massive waste of money. Video games are not great value. Even with the absurd rise in cinema ticket prices (from £5 to £10 in five years) you could go and see four three-hour films for the same money and have a demo (trailer) beforehand. That's twelve hours of entertainment, not 3-6, so games are NOT good value for money.

How do we know if the game is any good WITHOUT playing it? Maybe you have loads of spare cash to waste in a recession, but the rest of us don't. Clearly it is "just you".

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

47. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 26, 2011, 17:10 FreonTrip

Unless there's some way for me to try Rage before buying it, I'm just not confident that it would be worth my money. The last id game I consistently enjoyed was Quake III Arena, and that's because I'm a sucker for fun deathmatch. Everything attached to the id name since has been varying flavors of disappointment; Doom 3 was a confused bore, Quake 4 was fitfully entertaining but felt like it was stuck in the past, and Team Arena felt like a free mod released commercially with an inexplicably high price tag. There's no reason to believe that creative people aren't working at id (or Raven), but fresh ideas aren't managing to make it into their shipping products. Wolfenstein's the first product I skipped outright until reading reviews, and apparently that was warranted... I've got a bad feeling that Rage is going to be derivative and silly. Duke Nukem Forever at least looks like it will be a trashy good time.  

46. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 24, 2011, 11:31 Verno

Theo wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 03:10:
Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 09:43:
Sorry but I need a demo to drop any cash on this id, you've shaken my faith over the years with several unimaginative products.

It will take some fairly solid reviews for me, i actaully enjoyed doom3 though and the community at large seems to indicate that its the worst game ever (And then they go saying tht deadspace was awsome) go figure.

Dead Space made monster closet entertaining, Doom 3 was a pretty graphics engine with totally uninspired gameplay and it gave monster closet a bad name(which is saying something). I don't see the issue. I don't think Doom 3 is the worst game ever or something but it didn't feel like a Doom game and it was fairly ho-hum all things considered.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

45. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 22, 2011, 23:15 Sempai

Dunkirk wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 10:09:
Good grief! I can't believe the level of vitriol I'm seeing here. Video games are a great value for entertainment. Even at $50, the cost per hour of video gaming is virtually nothing compared to almost any other form of entertainment I can think of. So what if you buy a stinker now or then. Shoot, by the time you figure out you don't like a game, you've probably already played it for 2 or 3 hours. That alone would make it worth at least some money.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a good sense of what I'd like. I threw some money at the indy's during the Steam sales and the Humble Bundles, but I knew I wouldn't care for those games. I just thought it would be cool to support them. Sure enough, I don't really like most (almost all) of them, but I spent time playing around with them before I could tell, and that's worth something. In general, I've only given up and not finished a handful of games over the past 15 years because I didn't like them. I'd say the gamble has averaged out and paid off. For every one I didn't finish, I've played 5 through a dozen times.

You don't think you'd like it? Fine. Don't buy it. But NOT buying it REGARDLESS of whether you think you'd like it, BECAUSE there's no demo? Please. I think you're taking your $50 entertainment budget a little too seriously.

And i think you should lay that crack pipe down.
It's great you enjoy blowing a $50 spot on shit and not think twice about it.

You win the internets.

44. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 22, 2011, 11:12 Ant

m0deth wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 09:41:
pagb wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 05:29:
RAGE purchase doubtful

Any iD title purchase from here out doubtful....all I see from them lately is poor games and corporate excuses...they aren't what they used to be, I don't care how pretty the engine is...they've lost what it means to be a gamer, and forgot how to cater to them.

I remember a conversation I had once with an iD contact...I suggested that if every iD title since Q2 has lost cash steadily as he pointed out, then they were targeting the wrong consumers, and should stop dumbing the games down, and stop trying to make them kid-friendly, let nintendo deal with that.

He laughed and said he'd get fired if he said that in a meeting...I told him not to get a new mortgage or anything, as the result will be the same over time anyway if advice from loyal customers was not heeded.
I wonder how he is doing now. :O

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

43. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 22, 2011, 09:41 m0deth

pagb wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 05:29:
RAGE purchase doubtful

Any iD title purchase from here out doubtful....all I see from them lately is poor games and corporate excuses...they aren't what they used to be, I don't care how pretty the engine is...they've lost what it means to be a gamer, and forgot how to cater to them.

I remember a conversation I had once with an iD contact...I suggested that if every iD title since Q2 has lost cash steadily as he pointed out, then they were targeting the wrong consumers, and should stop dumbing the games down, and stop trying to make them kid-friendly, let nintendo deal with that.

He laughed and said he'd get fired if he said that in a meeting...I told him not to get a new mortgage or anything, as the result will be the same over time anyway if advice from loyal customers was not heeded.

42. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 22, 2011, 03:10 Theo

Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 09:43:
Sorry but I need a demo to drop any cash on this id, you've shaken my faith over the years with several unimaginative products.

It will take some fairly solid reviews for me, i actaully enjoyed doom3 though and the community at large seems to indicate that its the worst game ever (And then they go saying tht deadspace was awsome) go figure.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

41. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 17:13 venomhed

Try the Bittorrent demo of Rage, coming soon.  

40. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 13:53 Beamer

They could just do the first hour of the game I guess, but in a lot of ways that would not be the best selling tool.

Doing one-hour versions of games is the biggest purpose of Gakai.

I agree it isn't the best selling point - you spend the first hour of Oblivion in the sewers, but this could be an easy fix, too: just give people a saved game to resume from.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 12:44 ASJD

I think the demo would probably be quite big (over 2GB at least), but meh. It's also a matter of the workload they have to do.

I prefer demos over no demos, but it's not the end of the world.

38. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 11:58 Jivaro

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 03:18:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 02:03:
He didn't specify PC, he just said probably no demo period. Jumping to off-base arguments so you can then bash companies is kind of silly.

It makes sense there won't be a demo for this game... huge file size, open world game, (hopefully) not completely linear structure. The number of modern open world games with a demo can be counted on one hand.

I didn't say he did, I am merely agreeing that if that were to happen..well..it is what it is. I am not bashing the company, quite the opposite, I would probably make the same decision regarding demos...which is why I said that anybody expecting AAA titles to do differently is being naive. The budgets are too large to take risks or make efforts that don't pay off.

If I was bashing anyone, it was the gamers that insist on complaining about it as if these people are pure evil....when they would make exactly the same decision given the circumstances. As I said, you want to be treated as a truly valued customer by the gaming industry? Then go buy from the indie developers, they are the only part of the industry still doing that.

But sure, make assumptions and criticisms based on nonsense instead of what I wrote, why not right? Makes for a much for exciting thread I guess.

37. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 10:09 Dunkirk

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

36. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 09:59 SpectralMeat

I thought RAGE was a cellphone game  

Steam: SpectralMeat

35. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 09:43 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 09:09:
Gakai will fix this, but everyone here hates the idea.

Even with something like that they would have to design a demo area, and with an open world game like Rage that is no easy task. They could just do the first hour of the game I guess, but in a lot of ways that would not be the best selling tool.

34. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 09:43 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

33. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 09:10 Ant

Animals for Crackers wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 03:23:
Saddened to know we won't be seeing something like a q3_test for this game.

It'd be nice to get a ballpark figure on performance before I end up wasting money, unable to play on my mid-range machine. Heck, I remember trying to get Doom 2 to run on my old AST computer with 4 megs of RAM, getting less than a frame per second and still LIKING it. A turn-based slide-show Doom was better than no Doom at all.

Well, I'm not 11 anymore so I need a frigging demo please.
Ditto. I miss the old days.

32. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 09:09 Beamer

Demos should be made a requirement in the industry, for all platforms. Everyone, including console gamers, loves to try a game before making a decision to buy it.

Demos are time consuming to make, which is why you see them becoming very common post release.

Gakai will fix this, but everyone here hates the idea.

Yeah, I know, Gakai won't let you know how the game runs on your system, but how often are demos accurate? I still remember how well the DN3D shareware ran on my PC, but it was stripped down. The full version, having all the content, was nearly unrunnable. A 14 year old extreme example, but there's still some truth behind it today.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Bethesda: RAGE Demo Doubtful Jan 21, 2011, 08:21 finga

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 03:33:
360 is the lead SKU for RAGE so I wouldn't be too worried about performance. If you can run other 360 ports, you can most likely run RAGE.
This is probably true anyway, but Tim Willits has gone on the record saying that PC was the lead platform.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo