Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's Campaign for PC Gaming?

Electronic Arts has registered campaignforpcgaming.com, though there is no indication yet of their goals for the new domain. While EA has continued to release Windows versions of their games, they have a noticeable aversion to PC demos, and they are not a member of the PC Gaming Alliance. Thanks Big Download.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 22, 2011, 19:40 Jerykk

Ideally, games wouldn't have any DRM whatsoever. No disc-checks, no serials, no activations, etc. However, if publishers feel that the traditional disc-check & serial combo is insufficient, Steamworks is the second best choice. Unlike SecuRom, SolidShield, TAGES, etc, SteamWorks actually offers some benefits to counter the downsides. You can download the game onto any computer at any time, as many times as you want. Your games are automatically updated with the latest patches (though that can occasionally break mods). If the game supports Steam Cloud, your saves are uploaded and can be used on any computer.

The downsides to Steamworks is that you have a one-time online activation, you have to be running Steam while playing your games and you have to install your games to the Steam directory (problematic if your Steam drive is running low on space).

If you feel the downsides are more significant than the benefits, I can understand why you'd dislike Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 21, 2011, 09:44 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 14:23:
Otherwise they'd just be another cliffyb-type shitbag.

/ROFL

I like that! That's sig worthy (if I had one).

22. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 21, 2011, 07:02 Verno

It is objectively better though. As in Steam lets you install to an unlimited amount of machines while EA's DRM does not. Whether it's removed or not is an event in the future so it can't be used in comparison. The counter-point is that EA claims you can authorize and deauthorize 5 machines but that's still inferior to as many as you want. If you purchase the game on Steam(or other DD services) then you get two forms of DRM to boot which is completely redundant and unnecessary. The people buying your game aren't going to be day 1 cracking it - that's already happening thanks to shitty Gamestop employee #39 or whatever.

The Steam executable DRM is simple and unobtrusive as well whereas other forms of DRM tend to cause crashes. Whether that will be the case here or not, who knows so I'm just mentioning it as an aside. I know you dislike Steam but not all DRM is equal.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

21. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 21, 2011, 03:14 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 03:02:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 23:27:
Dead Space 2 is $60 on Steam and features Spore-like DRM.

Yikes, EA is using SolidShield now? I wonder why they bother. It'll be cracked within the first few days of release, if not earlier. If they're going to require online activations, they might as well just use Steam.
They did the same thing with spore and many others in last couple years, layered their own DRM crap on top of steam.

His point was they used SecuROM, now they use Solidshield.

And actually they removed SecuROM from the Steam versions of spore, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge and the others. Since it still uses Steam DRM though, I don't see why it's any better. *Cue millions of people telling me how much better Steam DRM is*. I disagree.

20. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 21, 2011, 03:12 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2011, 02:24:
What's weird is that EA isn't using the same DRM on DA2, the other high-profile release coming out within the next few months. Or maybe they are and just haven't told Steam yet.

I think they view the bonus DLC as the DRM for the Bioware games... Dead Space 2 will not have the same level of DLC support I assume. As you said though it will be cracked anyway, not sure what the point is in that stuff anymore. Steam DRM I can see because it adds a streamlined DLC platform and such.

Anyway, whatever, I have my pre-order in and I will crack it for a backup copy, who gives a shit.

And yeah, it's $60... every "AAA" PC game will be soon enough. Doesn't bother me really, "OMG $10 INFLATION IN 30 YEARS THE HORROR!"

19. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 21, 2011, 03:02 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 23:27:

Yikes, EA is using SolidShield now? I wonder why they bother. It'll be cracked within the first few days of release, if not earlier. If they're going to require online activations, they might as well just use Steam.
They did the same thing with spore and many others in last couple years, layered their own DRM crap on top of steam.

18. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 21, 2011, 02:24 Jerykk

What's weird is that EA isn't using the same DRM on DA2, the other high-profile release coming out within the next few months. Or maybe they are and just haven't told Steam yet.  

17. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 21, 2011, 01:51 entr0py

The steam order page has pretty through details about he DRM http://store.steampowered.com/app/47780/

Not really like Spore since deauthorization will be available from the beginning (the hard 5 authorizations limit was much of the controversy with spore).

And it sounds like an internet connection is only required to authorize, not to play singleplayer thereafter.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2011, 02:11.

16. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 23:27 Jerykk

15. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 20:52 entr0py

Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 16:26:
Wth are you talking about EA is not a PC friendly company ever since the begining of the console days.

Beginning of the console days? You mean like in the 70s before EA existed?

14. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 16:26 Cutter

Wth are you talking about EA is not a PC friendly company ever since the begining of the console days. No demos, overpriced crap, they control virtually all online space for anything they publish meaning they can shut it down or a specific player at any time they feel like it, and crappy ports to boot.

The only reason these guys are "pushing" for the PC now is they realize it's still a massive market segment and they've just been throwing money away ignoring it. However,I won't believe it untill I see it that this is anything more than half-assed marketing scheme that will come to naught.

The only guys that really need to push PC gaming are Microsoft.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 16:25 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 16:05:
Dead Space 2 is $60 on Steam

Same as the console version price.

PASS !!

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 16:05 Verno

Ok nevermind, EA can do worse. Dead Space 2 is $60 on Steam and features Spore-like DRM.  

11. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 15:55 Evil Timmy

IT'S A TRAP  

10. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 15:11 ASeven

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 14:35:
Most games these days gets published by either EA or Activision. Pick your side.

Indies! So much brilliant stuff is coming out that we don't need those two anymore.

9. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 14:38 Verno

They can't really do any worse than Microsoft and EA has improved considerably over the past three years in terms of their PC portfolio, demos or not.  

8. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 14:35 SpectralMeat

Most games these days gets published by either EA or Activision. Pick your side. The other day I looked games that are being published by either one of these publishers to see if I can avoid them, and I can no problem but then might as well give up gaming all together.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 14:23 Creston

The fact that they're NOT a member of the PC Gaming Alliance actually only speaks in their favor.

Otherwise they'd just be another cliffyb-type shitbag.

Creston

6. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 14:16 JoeNapalm

Doublespeak is the new...uh...well, it's still just doublespeak, really.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 14:15 StingingVelvet

1) Not being in the "PC Gaming Alliance" means jack all because that is a joke anyway.

2) Despite the little things people will pick on them for like no demos and such, EA has been a much bigger supporter of the PC recently than most publishers. Pretty much every game they make has a PC version and the ports lately have been good. They also make many PC only games of varying quality like the Sims stuff, CnC4 and others.

3) I am sure they view services and MMOs as the future of the PC like Battlefield Play4Free and Star Wars the Old Republic, and I would bet any campaign they launch will be focused on that.

4) Given their Steam snubs lately, I wonder if this could be related. Maybe some kind of competition initiative? The EA store ain't doin' it.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo