Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop

John Romero and Tom Hall have formed a new social gaming studio called Loot Drop, which has signed a publishing deal with social entertainment company RockYou, reports VentureBeat. Romero and Hall have collaborated several times in the past: After working together at Softdisk and Gamer's Edge, they were two of the four cofounders of id Software, and the pair also cofounded ION Storm and Monkeystone Games before working together at Midway Games. Word is Loot Drop is looking to release its first game by this summer: "Romero said in an interview that his goal is to push the boundaries of social games with creative game design. Under the deal, San Mateo, Calif.-based Loot Drop will make a game that RockYou will fund and publish. The target is to get a game out by the summer, Romero said."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 21, 2011, 17:01 venomhed

Romero and American McGee, worst producers, designers, creators in gaming history and SOMEHOW still around?!?!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 22:07 keendreams

Romero never left id software. He was fired.

He has had one major success since Daikatana is [url=]http://www.facebook.com/RavenwoodFair[/url]

Ravenwood Fair was developed by John Romero and a small team and has had more users in the first few weeks it was released than probably Daikatana has ever had.

If John and Tom can duplicate this effort on their own then their troubled days are over. But that might be a large if.

19. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 20:09 Beamer

Worst thing Romero ever did was leave id. What a mistake that was for his career...

The "make you his bitch" thing did him in. That and the article about the Ion Storm office excess.

Daikatana sold like crap as much due to negative hype as just not being good. And he never recovered. Plenty of people have released a bad game and bounced back fine.

Romero didn't just work on Doom, he practically was Doom. I'm sure he had more good games in him, but he ended up crushed. He became a whipping boy. After a while it became very sad. His track record since has blown, but I don't think he's had good opportunities post Ion Storm. Although it seems he's had a billion of them...

I'd prefer a game he touched over one Mike Wilson did, if we're making that comparison. From what I've understood Mike Wilson pretty well torpedoed Romero. All the stupid absurd shit we laughed at was Wilson's idea (and he's had more insanely stupid ideas since, like everyone rushing on stage at whatever game awards thing that was.) Yeah, Daikatana wasn't a very good game, but had it been made quietly I think people would have let him bounce back. Wilson's ideas made sure he was never given a second shot.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 19:15 Snozzle

Hammer wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 15:00:
his goal is to push the boundaries of social games with creative game design

Didn't we hear just about the exact same thing when they formed ION Storm?

And he succeeded. He pushed them downwards.

17. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 16:24 Dirwulf

Omnivox wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 13:35:
Anachronox 2, please. Thank you.

Now that would be awesome. I wonder if GOG has the first one. Anachronox is definitly in my all time top 10.

16. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 16:18 Dirwulf

Diakatana anyone?

LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOL

15. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 16:16 Cutter

Still, great name for a game company.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 15:49 FooAtari

Worst thing Romero ever did was leave id. What a mistake that was for his career...  

13. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 15:26 Kosumo

te he he ... I first read it as Long Drop games i.e. your playing with/in shit  

12. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 15:00 Hammer

his goal is to push the boundaries of social games with creative game design

Didn't we hear just about the exact same thing when they formed ION Storm?

11. pulls up in a ferrari.... Jan 20, 2011, 14:55 space captain

mail order brides all around!!  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 14:38 killer_roach

Omnivox wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 13:35:

Amen to that.

9. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 14:01 gilly775

Romero is going to make your loot his biatch!!!!  

8. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 13:37 baltar

Forget all this noise - time for Romero to make Daikatana 2 - I DEMAND to be his bitch again!  

7. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 13:35 Omnivox

Platzanweiser! Platzanweiser!

6. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 13:29 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 13:15:
Hey, it works for Mike Wilson, right?

Well, Devolver Digital is still operational. How successful it is I don't know but presumably it's keeping food on his table. Mike Wilson's certainly not perfect but at least he has some business experience and a number of published titles with decent reviews. The only thing of significance on Romero's resume is that he worked on Doom.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

5. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 13:24 initd

John Romero's about to make you his bitch in FarmVille...Suck It Down.  

4. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 13:15 nin

I guess John Romero just figures that if he starts enough companies, the large of large numbers means one of them will end up succeeding.

Hey, it works for Mike Wilson, right?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 13:09 Parallax Abstraction

I guess John Romero just figures that if he starts enough companies, the large of large numbers means one of them will end up succeeding.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Romero and Hall Form Loot Drop Jan 20, 2011, 13:04 baltar

Heyy Show some respect Razorclaw. Loot Drop is making their first budget MMORPGayME by summer - That means John's gonna make you his bitch.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo