Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale

The Champions Online Website has news that starting January 25 lifetime subscriptions for Champions Online and Star Trek Online will be sold at a 20% discount until February 4, lowering the price to $239.99 USD. They say this is in celebration of the launch of Champions Online: Free for All and the one year anniversary of Star Trek Online. Thanks Shacknews.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 21:01 Veterator

Everquest is one I would consider a successful subscription MMO, especially since they also nickel and dime you on the expansion/adventure/whatever packs the whole time.

It's probably had at least half a million individual subscribers over it's lifetime, not sure on how many active at any one time.

Everquest 2, I can't even guess on...but I know SOE doesn't keep pumping out content for games that are sinking. So EQ2 must be doing fairly well. SOE will also pull the plug on a game the minute it becomes non self sustaining....which will probably happen to Vanguard within the near year or two.

Lifetime subscriptions are an interesting idea, but the ratio of wasted investments to good ones in that arena is like:

Complete Loss:
Hellgate

General Loss due to games being unworthy of subscription in the first place:
Star Trek Online (I feel this one is probably the worst culprit since this game barely qualified as an MMO, it was more like a graphical server select mostly single player game with options for multiplay.)

Champions Online (I just didn't like the way this game felt, I didn't like the quests......didn't like the way they handled a lot of aspects in the game. But i can see that some people might prefer it over it's at the time only competition City of Heroes)

General Win:
Lord of the Rings Online (I think you still have to buy content pack upgrades......or did...I dunno. Wasn't my type of game I found it dreadfully boring at low levels, so much so that I couldn't stand to play. I hope they have addressed this or will address this at some point because I keep hearing positive things.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 19:30 Warskull

Talisorn wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 17:41:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 17:31:
Lifetime subscriptions are an indicator of a terrible game.

There are people who have been playing UO since release, $2,000+. Asherons Call, $2,000+. WoW, $1250+. You know your game isn't going to last long when you are selling lifetime subscriptions for a fraction of that cost. If they don't have any faith in their product, neither should you.

Bollocks! I got a lifetime for LotRO when if first opened an it's been one of the best MMO purchases ever. It's never even looked like going under and going F2P has seen it go from strenth to strength. Paying a full sub for a game when a lifetime option is available is a mugs game. I'd rather buy than rent.

Name another game that purchasing a lifetime sub was a good idea. Hellgate, Champions Online, maybe Star Trek Online? You simply do not offer a lifetime subscription if you think you have a successful game on your hands. If you think your game won't keep most players more than 3 months then you offer lifetime subs. Heck, just compare the amount of good successful MMOs to the failed crap. There aren't very many MMOs that last, most companies just churn out terrible MMOs. LotRO and Eve are the only two successful subscription based MMOs I can think of after WoW.

16. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 19:01 dj LiTh

how are those hellgate london lifetime subscriptions people bought doing....oh ya... nevermind...  

15. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 17:41 Talisorn

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 17:31:

There are people who have been playing UO since release, $2,000+. Asherons Call, $2,000+. WoW, $1250+. You know your game isn't going to last long when you are selling lifetime subscriptions for a fraction of that cost. If they don't have any faith in their product, neither should you.

Bollocks! I got a lifetime for LotRO when if first opened an it's been one of the best MMO purchases ever. It's never even looked like going under and going F2P has seen it go from strenth to strength. Paying a full sub for a game when a lifetime option is available is a mugs game. I'd rather buy than rent.

14. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 17:31 JohnBirshire

13. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 17:15 Dirwulf

I am a Lifetime Subscriber to STO.

I haven't really played the game since the first month of release.

I tried creating a Klingon character when Episode 2 came out, but it crashed during character creation.

Haven't been back since.

Say what you will.

12. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 14:58 spindoctor

Ruffiana wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 14:07:
While the game is free-to-play, subscriptions give you access to premium content that you would normally have to pay extra for. Lifetime subs give you those things in perpituity at a discounted rate.

That makes sense. Well, not really, but yea...

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

11. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 14:42 Ozmodan

I guess they are hoping that some fools fall for this charade. The only game I have ever seen with a worthwhile lifetime sub was Lord of the Rings Online and that barely makes it.  

10. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 14:10 StingingVelvet

spindoctor wrote on Jan 20, 2011, 12:17:
I'm not sure I properly understand what is happening here. They are offering an (apparently discounted) 240$ lifetime subscription to a game to celebrate that it is going free to play?

What the fucking fuck?

As was just said paying members get some benefits free players do not, in addition to getting all the game content and quests and such you might have to pay for otherwise. LoTRO does the same thing, they have a sub and a free option.

9. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 14:07 Ruffiana

While the game is free-to-play, subscriptions give you access to premium content that you would normally have to pay extra for. Lifetime subs give you those things in perpituity at a discounted rate.  

8. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 14:06 Downer28

Wow. This is just sad.  

7. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 13:34 Omnivox

Celebrate your own demise! Hurray!  
Platzanweiser! Platzanweiser!

6. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 12:17 spindoctor

I'm not sure I properly understand what is happening here. They are offering an (apparently discounted) 240$ lifetime subscription to a game to celebrate that it is going free to play?

What the fucking fuck?

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

5. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 12:15 StingingVelvet

Yeah I'll get right on that. Just wait over there, I'll be back with my CC info. Just wait.  

4. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 12:14 Verno

It's actually $1 a month if you play long enough Tumbler, right up your alley  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

3. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 12:12 Techie714

This is a bad sign when a company has to discount their products like this...  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 11:59 nin

You should go for that, Tumbler, it'd be right up your alley.

Better hurry!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Cryptic Lifetime Subs Sale Jan 20, 2011, 11:55 Tumbler

will be sold at a 20% discount until February 4, lowering the price to $239.99 USD.

Wow...$240. Isn't champions Online F2P? At that price you should throw in lifetime subs for both games, hell you should throw in lifetime subs to your entire catalogue...if there is more than those 2 games.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo