Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The freezing rain yesterday created some treacherous driving conditions, but I had to brave them to get a replacement for the halogen bulb in my desk lamp to avoid sitting in the dark. On my return trip I saw proof of how scary this could be, as there was a traffic tie-up to get around an SUV that was flipped on its side. From what I could see they drove partway up the embankment, and while this was in a 30 MPH zone, it's certainly possible they were speeding, as I've observed a tendency for drivers to operate their SUVs in the reckless (which in this case is wreck-full) manner depicted in commercials. Luckily no one seemed injured, but it was still a chilling sight.

R.I.P.: Rock promoter Don Kirshner dies.

Reckless Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Goblin War Machine. Thanks Boing Boing.
Robot Clashes.
Links: The 5 Greatest Things Ever Accomplished While High.
Best Sci-Fi Effects of All Time, as Voted by You. Thanks Digg.
Ten 80s Movies that Will Remind You of Your Geek Roots.
Stories: Australian Teens Rescued After Using Sex Doll as Raft. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Black Out: German Police Pick up Drunken Owl. Thanks Joker961.
Former Wheel of Fortune Contestants Shocked to Learn of Regis What’s-His-Name’s Retirement.
Science: How’s the Hip Replacement? Woof! Woof (registration required). Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Top Gun, Japanimationized (including Asian Tom Cruise).
Superman's Dark Secret- An Unaired Episode of Super Friends. Thanks Digg.
Lightning from 330 miles up.
The Funnies: Boots - Savage Chickens.
Follow-up: Policy disputes, uncertainties pose safety risks for NASA.
TRON: Disney sweeps the original under the rug? I noticed that.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2011, 07:35 Armengar

plenty of tron DVDs in the UK. Amazon have a 2 disc jobbie for £17.99 cd wow has a region 3 (?) for £9

quite a few copies about if you want one.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2011, 03:49 xXBatmanXx

Going to the dog park a few weeks ago, I saw the same thing, although it is 55 to take 35W South from MPLS to Bloomington.

But the snow embankments are so high and at a nice little ramp amgle, that if a veh goes "into the ditch" they just flip over after a possible Dukes of Hazzard type incident.

I saw 2 flipped in less than a mile....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: true story Jan 19, 2011, 19:43 Kxmode

nin wrote on Jan 19, 2011, 14:14:
If they did that for Song of the South I would probably believe them.

People have asked for that one for years now on dvd, and Disney won't budge. There used to be a guy on the web claiming he was selling legitimate copies that are sold at EuroDisney, but I never had the confidence to order from him...

Because it's blatant racism to show a black man happily singing songs and telling stories to a couple of white children.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2011, 18:06 theAntiELVIS

I've got the original DVD in the white clamshell, and the 20th anniversary edition. If someone offers me enough money to make a down-payment on a house....

-tAE-

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2011, 15:56 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2011, 14:41:
There are just way too many jagoffs driving SUVs and trucks in bad weather like it's the freakin' Indy. They figure just because thye have 4x4 that somehow the laws of physics

I'm about to join the ranks of the Crossover drivers, aka small SUV owner. A few years ago I would've laughed at the thought, but I decided to get it.

I already drive extra careful with my real-wheel-drive car when the weather is cruddy, and that's not gonna change with my Edge. It may have AWD but I know what that truly means.

Too many people think AWD or 4WD means "Invincible" when it means anything but. Face it, the most you should expect out of an AWD vehicle is that it's harder to get stuck in the snow while parked in your driveway. Anything else is just gravy.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2011, 15:50 PHJF

I have the "20th Anniversary Collector's Edition" of TRON.

I guess that makes this the only "Collector's Edition" DVD that is a genuine collector's edition, eh?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2011, 14:41 Cutter

There are just way too many jagoffs driving SUVs and trucks in bad weather like it's the freakin' Indy. They figure just because thye have 4x4 that somehow the laws of physics do not apply them and they can drive like assholes. And it's why we see so many of those assholes in accidents or causing accidents and driving up insurance rates for everyone else. I'd love to see more cops on highways during this sort of bad weather popping those clowns untill they learn.

And RIP Don. Now there was a guy who led an interesting life.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: true story Jan 19, 2011, 14:14 nin

People have asked for that one for years now on dvd, and Disney won't budge. There used to be a guy on the web claiming he was selling legitimate copies that are sold at EuroDisney, but I never had the confidence to order from him...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: true story Jan 19, 2011, 14:11 Kxmode

kanniballl wrote on Jan 19, 2011, 13:38:
I'm not surprised at Disney, they're big fans of creating scarcity by removing/hiding their product.

The whole: "Act soon because by June this film is going back in the Disney vault until we decide we need more money" bit is a little annoying.

5. Re: true story Jan 19, 2011, 13:38 kanniballl

I'm not surprised at Disney, they're big fans of creating scarcity by removing/hiding their product.

The whole: "Act soon because by June this film is going back in the Disney vault until we decide we need more money" bit is a little annoying.

So I'm not surprised they're doing something sneaky with Tron until their magic crystal ball says to release it for maximum profit.

Granted I don't watch the classic Disney films anymore, though every now and then I'll sit through a few minutes of a Cable-airing for some of my childhood songs.

Except for some recent films like Finding Nemo or Wall-E. I still temporarily DVR them from time to time when I see them on the schedule.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2011, 13:43.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: true story Jan 19, 2011, 11:20 Redwood

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed Tron's absence on DVD. I had looked on Amazon in September and it was supposed to be released in November. I went looking for it in November and it had vanished from their site, except for the ridiculously priced used copies. My wife hasn't seen the original, so I want her to see it before we see the new movie. I had hoped to see it by now, but having a young baby can put a kink in those kinds of plans.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2011, 11:16 kanniballl

I've mentioned a few times... my horrid long commute in the snow from a few years ago, seeing a LOT of accidents occur due to idiots. Nothing exotic like the other poster that said the guy almost did a nose-dive into traffic.

Last winter was different though. It was a snowy morning but it stopped around 8AM. There was only 1-2" of snow on the ground but underneath was slick.

I saw the immediate after-effect of a guy jamming on the brakes, going over the curb, and down a steep grassy/snow hill. At least 7 feet.

Fortunately he looked alright, his car was upright (but had one a 180) and was standing outside the car on the phone. Fortunately he missed landing in someone's yard but he was definitely stuck back there.

It was a strange visual. And I knew it just happened because it was still snowing and his brake-marks were still completely clean.

Meanwhile, I knew enough ahead of time to be going under the speed limit since the roads were slick under the snow.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2011, 12:26.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: true story Jan 19, 2011, 11:15 nin

TRON: Disney sweeps the original under the rug?

They're releasing it in blu, along with Tron Legacy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004IEBRSI/thedigitalbit-20

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. true story Jan 19, 2011, 10:12 space captain

one time i was driving along the highway, looked in my rear view and saw a guy in a ford taurus gunning it hard to make it between some people and get ahead in the other lane, but he missed his window at the last second and had to swerve back into his lane.. unfortunately since he was going so fast he lost control, started swinging back and forth wildly, ramped UP the guard rails in the middle of the road and came down nose first into the space between them

shit was crazy

dunno if he got hurt or not but i would imagine it still sucked pretty bad

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2011, 10:21.

Go forth, and kill!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo