Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 20, 2011, 08:01 Golwar

Lol, what? The keys to the kingdom?
I bought the PS3 as a gaming console, for titles that aren't available on the PC or better played on a console.

I don't know what sad little pandas out there cried bitter tears because they couldn't use their PS3 for whatever else, as they couldn't afford any other hardware to do so.
I never required the PS3 to be anything else than a game console and I doubt that I'll ever find any use for it, that it could handle better than any of the other hardware tools that I already own. So what kind of kingdom should this be?

Did Sony make mistakes?
Sure.
Should they have secured their system better?
Hell yes.
Do I think that we need free systems to use them however we want to?
Absolutely. But not each single system, especially if we already have plenty of free options and if it would foil the systems primary mission.

What a faked elitist bunch are we, when you have to praise freedom per se, if this never required or needed freedom ruins what you truely wanted?
But yeah, we suck Sony's cock just because we express that we don't see any profit in such a development? Really, you guys are hypocrites or idiots if you feel the need to blame anyone who doesn't join your chorus of unconditional praise.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2011, 08:12.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 19, 2011, 10:15 StingingVelvet

The Advocate wrote on Jan 19, 2011, 08:11:
It's beginning to disturb me a bit as I am starting to see just how much liberty people are willing to give up for a new illusion of security or a few fleeting moments of entertainment.

It's been going steadily downhill for 10 years now... imagine what it will be like 50 years from now, if we're still alive.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 19, 2011, 08:11 Burrito of Peace

I have to admit being somewhat puzzled by some folks' reaction. You were just given the keys to the kingdom of the hardware you legally own...and you think that's a bad thing?

Because you fear you won't be able to move your little digital avatar around and go pew pew to other people's digital avatars? Really? It never occurs to you that the company involved is acting like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum?

It's beginning to disturb me a bit as I am starting to see just how much liberty people are willing to give up for a new illusion of security or a few fleeting moments of entertainment.

And these are not hackers...these are crackers. Without crackers, we'd probably be on Starforce version 7.0 which would require daily blood samples to continue using the products you legally purchased.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 19, 2011, 03:50 StingingVelvet

The reaction of so many people to attack the modders and suck Sony's corporate cock kind of speaks to where we're headed as a hobby.  

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 18, 2011, 21:58 Verno

I'm not alright with a glorified rental machine so I'll retain my right to modify hardware I purchased that sits in my household, thanks. That's more important than your multiplayer experience or whatever, sorry. I don't care if it's Linux, piracy or Genesis roms, what people do in their own home with their own property is their business so long as it stays in bounds of the law and courts bear that out in the case of phone jailbreaking recently. Also the "year of the PS3" is a long running gag because people have been saying that every year since it's launch.

Ultimately the buck stops with Sony, IBM went to ridiculous lengths to secure Cell and it was undone because Sony overreacted instead of patching a minor exploit which garnered extra attention from the hacking community who then found Sony had been extremely lax and used a fixed number to create the most important hash in the entire system. Pretty much every vector for piracy has been a result of incredibly poor security from Sony. Heck, OtherOS wasn't even involved in the initial jailbreak, it was their own service mode. Security through obscurity doesn't work when you sell a consumer device in the hands of 30 million people.

That shouldn't mean I can't have a centralized box to stream video, run my emulators and whatever else I deem fit. I'm not going to cry about death to hackers either because there will always be more of them, it's pointless to get worked up over it. It means Sony should secure their shit.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2011, 22:05.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 18, 2011, 20:50 Golwar

Could have been such a great year with the PS3, but nooo - ty so much Hotz and fail0verflow. I really wish that Sony ruins their life at least as much as those guys will ruin our game experience, now and in the future.

Damn suckers when they claim that they released it in the best interest of everyone. Yeah, I'll feel so much better with cheaters and hackers everywhere and canceled game projects due piracy.

But hey, at least I'll have Linux and homebrew shit? Oh wait, I already had other (and better suited) hardware for that kind of stuff. Assholes.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo