Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution

PC Gamer has a clarification on how difficulty levels will work in Deus Ex: Human Revolution based on interviewing David Anfossi, producer on the upcoming action/RPG prequel. Contrary to reports, David tells them the game will use standard difficulty levels, and will not scale according to the player's experience. "I donít know who said that, but that person was either drunk or doesnít work here," he tells them. "No. We have three difficulty settings: Easy, Normal and Hard. Thereís no adaptation of the difficulty at all, we donít have anything like that."

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 23, 2011, 23:43 Sepharo

shponglefan wrote on Jan 23, 2011, 23:13:
Neither is superior.

There needs to be a boilerplate response for this one.

Depends on how you define superior...
Because if we're measuring by graphics, controls, and consumer modfications, well the PC is factually superior.

Those happen to be things I care about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 23, 2011, 23:13 shponglefan

This whole console gamer vs PC gamer stuff is retarded. People should play just games on whatever they like. Neither is superior.  

68. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 23, 2011, 23:06 shponglefan

Jerykk wrote on Jan 19, 2011, 23:43:
The buying and selling of used games does not benefit developers or publishers at all. They see no profit from those transactions so for all intents and purposes, you might as well be pirating.

I thought we'd already established that the jury is out on this until actual data comes in (i.e. cannibalized sales vs indirect financing of the "new" market). So you can stop repeating this canard as though it's a fact.

67. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 20, 2011, 23:34 Jerykk

Oh for god'ssake how many times do I need to mention that you can't tell any of these things at 8 feet?

You can mention it as much as you like but that won't make it true. As Verno said, it depends very much on your eyesight and your general perception. I'm pretty sure I'd notice aliasing on an HDTV, as I've always noticed it before, even at a distance. And framerate is obvious regardless of distance.

66. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 20, 2011, 17:55 Sepharo

I played CS for a few months on my TV while I was inbetween monitors, wasn't too bad.

Hooking to TVs pre-LCD was god awful but nowadays there's little difference.

I have a friend with an Alienware laptop who only games on TVs, doesn't seem to bother him. If the TV's not being used where he's visiting his laptop gets hooked up and he plays DoTA or Trackmania.

65. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 20, 2011, 13:11 Tumbler

Getting a PC into the living room is more "work" than a console but not very complex these days. I have an HTPC in mine that looks no more out of place than my receiver does. I've also run HDMI from my den to the bedroom because 1080p over wireless can be iffy.

In my experience many pc games don't "work" well on a big tv sitting a comfortable distance away because the interface is designed for someone sitting 2 feet away. Games like DoW2 and Civ V become very difficult to play. The larger interface that I hear so many people scream about for the PC's would help this alot. I'm very curious what Dragon Age Origins will be like, if the interface is small and hard to see from far away I'm guessing the experience won't "work" on the TV / PC setup you're describing.

What games do you play on your TV with your PC? Do you run it at max res? I'm very curious how you can play pc games (in general) on a TV and not get frustrated as all hell unless you're sitting right next to the TV.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

64. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 20, 2011, 10:52 Verno

Most viewing distance calculators are rough guidelines at best, if for no other reason than everyone's eye sight performs differently at varying distances. And don't even get into the whole "cant see the difference in resolution" garbage, its a worthless debate that rages eternal on AV forums everywhere, there is no "proof" on either side of the debate. It's only slightly less obnoxious than audiophiles with fake double blind tests.

Getting a PC into the living room is more "work" than a console but not very complex these days. I have an HTPC in mine that looks no more out of place than my receiver does. I've also run HDMI from my den to the bedroom because 1080p over wireless can be iffy.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

63. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 20, 2011, 10:11 Beamer

Playing a game at 1920x1080 with 8XAA, 16XAF and 60+ FPS is not the same experience as playing it at 1280x720 (or lower), 2XAA (or none), 2XAF (or none) and 30 FPS. The difference is night and day.

Oh for god'ssake how many times do I need to mention that you can't tell any of these things at 8 feet?

Of course, everyone responds "stop with those myths!" but no one has ever once linked to any kind of proof. So here, this site is popular with higher-end AV forums:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

With an 58" TV the recommended maximum viewing distance is 7.6 feet. Beyond that you start losing detail. Even at that things like 16xAF is lost. With a more common 42" TV you lose it at 5.5 feet. Assuming 20/20 vision. This is pretty basic eye biology.
The features that make a huge difference at 18 inches just don't matter at 8 feet. I don't get why this is not only so hard for you to comprehend but simply not entirely intuitive to you.

If you want to sit back on your couch and play on a big TV, just hook up your PC and off you go.

Again, which works great if your PC is anywhere near your TV. Not everyone lives in a studio apartment.

"PC" isn't the solution for everyone. It's not best for everyone. It is for you.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

62. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 20, 2011, 09:51 Verno

There's nothing wrong with being cheap Tumbler but you being cheap doesn't mean there is some inherent problem in the market. You're an outlier even as far as consoles go, let alone the PC. Most people I knew buy a mix of used and new titles, they don't just suck down used titles, rentals and sales. Money talks, I'm sure you're happy with your Goozex and $2 Redbox stuff but is totally meaningless to both the console and PC industries. In fact they view it with almost some hostility if anything. I can't fault you for being a smart consumer but just understand that you are a leech on the industry that is providing no value so publishers and other consumers aren't going to care about pleasing your consumer demographic. So when you tell me there is some problem with the PC platform, my answer is maybe but there is also a problem with you.  

61. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 19, 2011, 23:43 Jerykk

Why would you suspect me not a pc gamer? If you play games on many different platforms I don't see how that makes you any less a pc gamer.

If you play the vast majority of your games on consoles, I think that's enough to prove that you aren't much of a PC gamer.

Hell, just look at your posts. You repeatedly state that you prefer consoles over PC.

I don't understand why given the choice between a pc version of a game like Assassin's Creed brotherhood on the PC and PS3 you'd choose a platform that releases the game months later, includes always on DRM, costs the same, and is not easily traded. I think the ubisoft games can be traded to friends and such but in general finding a buyer is a much more difficult task than it is on the console versions. So many games are the same experience on both platforms so I don't understand why so many people put up with the stuff you see on the PC.

Playing a game at 1920x1080 with 8XAA, 16XAF and 60+ FPS is not the same experience as playing it at 1280x720 (or lower), 2XAA (or none), 2XAF (or none) and 30 FPS. The difference is night and day. Of course, if your top priority is resale value, these things probably won't matter to you.

The PC will always offer superior image quality and performance and in many cases, controls. For those games that control better with a gamepad, you can just plug one in. If you want to sit back on your couch and play on a big TV, just hook up your PC and off you go.
The only downside to some PC games is excessive DRM. Then again, if you have no moral qualms about buying and selling used games, you shouldn't feel any qualms about cracking your PC games and avoiding the DRM entirely.

Each time a new set of games comes out my hardware is lacking and at this point I think I'm falling below the required specs.

The best way to avoid this is to not buy the cheapest parts you can when upgrading your PC. Think in the long-term and try to future-proof your system as much as possible. It'll last much longer that way, resulting in fewer upgrades in the future.

Like you said I play a lot of extremely cheap used games and rentals which are not available on the pc.

This is what confuses me the most about your position. If you only care about saving money, PC would be the way to go because you can just pirate all your games. Free is still better than $1 or however much you spend on games. Also, the DRM would be cracked so no problems there. The buying and selling of used games does not benefit developers or publishers at all. They see no profit from those transactions so for all intents and purposes, you might as well be pirating.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2011, 23:50.

60. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 19, 2011, 22:01 Verno

The kind of ridiculous that speaks for itself, I don't even need to refute it.  

59. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 19, 2011, 19:11 Dr. D. Schreber

Civ V runs like ass on my laptop. I bought my laptop for $400 a year ago or so, cheapest I could find with things I wanted. Civ V runs but after the game has been playing for an hour or so and the other AI's have tons of cities and stuff to manage the game crawls. In MP I can participate in a 6 player game or host a 4 player game. And higher than that and the game crawls. I have to run the game with the lowest settings possible, including the lowest res, 1024x768.

Civ V runs like ass on my laptop. I bought my laptop for $400 a year ago or so, cheapest I could find with things I wanted. Civ V runs but after the game has been playing for an hour or so and the other AI's have tons of cities and stuff to manage the game crawls. In MP I can participate in a 6 player game or host a 4 player game. And higher than that and the game crawls. I have to run the game with the lowest settings possible, including the lowest res, 1024x768.

Civ V runs like ass on your year-old, $400 laptop? You don't say. What else runs like ass on it, Crysis?

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

58. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 19, 2011, 14:51 Tumbler

You continue to repeat generalizations as if they somehow apply to the entire market - they don't.

Here are a few things I'm not happy with regarding PC gaming.

Laptops are not very upgradable, if I want something more powerful it's going to be a big upgrade.

My most powerful desktop in the house runs it ok, I can host as many as 6 ppl in the game but because of game limitations it becomes so slow it's not enjoyable to play online with others above that and borders on enjoyable most of the time with 6 ppl. I've heard that hosting games above 6 ppl works much better with substantially more powerful hardware, like quad core processors. I have a dual core AMD 5600+ in that system with 4gb of ram.

In both cases I think i should upgrade if I wanted to enjoy a PC game more often. I have chosen to simply run smaller civ V games and occasionally I join someone elses game of 6+ people but most of the time that game runs terribly.

Looking forward at game requirements and recommended stuff for pc games going forward this doesn't appear to be a problem that will go away. I'll let you know how dragon age origins runs when it arrives. ($1)

The other game I mentioned was DoW2. Unplayable on my laptop. Very playable on my desktop but I think I'm on med settings...I will boot that up again and see how it looks when they open up the free beta to everyone, maybe it will have gotten better. I doubt this and expect if I want to get more out of this game I should upgrade a few components.

This generally speaking is my impression of pc gaming. Each time a new set of games comes out my hardware is lacking and at this point I think I'm falling below the required specs.

Shogun Total War might work ok...but the recommended specs would be an expensive upgrade, judging by my experience with meeting the requirements for Civ V....I don't recommend purchasing Shogun Total War if you only meet the requirements.

Bear with me while i break down the lowest cost I see at new egg right now. I have a lot of stuff already so I'll stick with only what I see as most important. Prob a vid card and MB w/processor.

ASUS EAH5550 (recommend HD5000 plus card) $64.99 (W/Rebate)
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz $204
IGABYTE GA-H55M-S2V LGA 1156 ($79.99)

So only $349...You could find all that on sale for 1/2 of that and it would still be too much in my opinion... So while I wasn't bothering to check before...I have now, and I'll stick with playing most games on the consoles. Paid $250 for the PS3 and got uncharted 2 with it (long story) and all the games on that platform will still look great on that same hardware, paid $400 for the 360 back in 06 and all the games on that platform still look great on that hardware... I did red ring my first 360 and sold the repaired one that came back and bought the new 360 elite that was released along with a service plan from best buy... So spent a little bit there, I probably spend $500 in total on the 360 to date in hardware. I've purchased some other things like headsets and an extra controller as well but I think you can ignore those along with their pc equivalent. I don't think it's a required expense, you can make do without those things.

You spend money on consoles for sure, I've spent $750 on hardware alone based on my math above but it comes with better benefits than spending those same dollars on pc hardware. Like you said I play a lot of extremely cheap used games and rentals which are not available on the pc. The real money I spend on gaming is in software. I play a lot of games and I'd spend a ton more money if I played them all on the PC. I'm generalizing when I say this? It seems like an honest assessment of the platform. It's more expensive to play the same games with some added options like mods and better graphics on the PC.

If you look at DC Universe Online, if you want to play that on the PC you have to go buy a new copy of the game for $50. It doesn't matter if you like it, it's $50 unless the company selling it says otherwise.

On the PS3 I can get a copy in about a month for $1 and if I can try the game for $15 a month. Or with a game like mass effect 2 I can get a copy for $1 after about a month and play through that without the bells and whistles that come with the new copy.

Or with the PS3 copy of portal 2 I can buy it on the PS3, play it there, play it on the PC, then trade off the PS3 copy and possibly keep my free copy of portal 2 on the pc? Ok, that seems like a better deal than just paying for it on the pc and trying it only on that platform and getting nothing to trade later...

PC gamers are being treated like they have a lot of money so they can afford to pay a little extra to experience these same games (my take on it). I don't think that is appropriate but there seems to be a dedicated market that will stick with it so companies will continue on this path.

As for DRM like activation codes of console games becoming more common I don't see it making a big difference. All I see is publishers giving people less value for their dollar. Trade sites already mark these games down appropriately so madden 11 is $10 less than you'd expect, (to buy and sell) as is need for speed Hot pursuit. I think this is just cannibalizing your core sales to begin with. As someone who gets these other games after the initial purchaser is done...I don't find myself wanting to spend $10 for online. I'll just play the SP side and if I love it and can't live without it I would consider paying $10. So at best the used market gets the option of paying less for the same content that new users have to spend the extra money on.

57. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 19, 2011, 13:34 Verno

You continue to repeat generalizations as if they somehow apply to the entire market - they don't. Every game doesn't release months later, in fact the majority are unified for marketing purposes these days. Most games don't have traditional DRM anymore and you're ignoring all of the DRM-like measures your consoles are starting to use or possess already. Most games are cheaper than their console counterparts and PC games go on sale sooner and for deeper discounts. PC hardware is not inherently more expensive than console hardware because again most people already own a computer and you do not need to buy a fucking Alienware to play videogames anymore (not that you ever did for that matter). It's certainly not any more expensive than console + peripherals + games + multiplayer fee + whatever else. I'd say they're at relative parity in terms of cost.

You are used to extremely cheap used games and rentals, something that the PC lacks. Even moreso than the norm judging by your posts and signature. Don't worry though, the consoles are going to be doing their best to eliminate that too and unlike the PC you don't really see great sales on PSN/XBL very often. The days of consoles with optical media are numbered, we are probably one, maybe two generations away from it and at that point you won't be able to rent, trade or buy used games. There is simply too much of a profit margin for the console manufacturers to ignore it. The only thing holding them back is broadband penetration and consumer ignorance about hooking their console to the Internet. The former they can win with lobbyists and the latter is decreasing every day.

Finally, most multiplatform experiences on the PC tend to be better than the console versions if for no other reason than the increased visuals, let alone input considerations. There are some genres better done on the consoles but they are more niche these days(fighters, driving titles, etc).

56. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 19, 2011, 12:41 Tumbler

Are you actually a PC gamer? What was the last PC game you played? How many PC games did you buy in 2010?

Besides the misc steam sales which I don't really consider supporting "pc gaming" I bought Civ V from DD and Chaos Rising via Steam. I also bought the Witcher which I hear is a big game on that platform, but that was a steam sale. I bought Minecraft, I bought That monkey island story game pack thingy (I think that was 2010). Amnesia, but again a steam sale. (haven't played that one though)

But I'm guessing that many of the games other PC gamers picked up I chose to buy on the consoles.

I played Eve Online a bit this year...don't ask me why because once i hit my goal, becoming a carrier pilot I'd had enough and quit. Not sure if you are familiar with that game but becoming a carrier pilot is insanely time consuming...I'd say hard, but it's not, it just takes a LONG LONG LONG time and when you get there it's just more time you need to spend to do everything. Fuck that game.

Why would you suspect me not a pc gamer? If you play games on many different platforms I don't see how that makes you any less a pc gamer. Looking over comments related to so many games on the pc reveals a lot of issues that I don't care to deal with just so I can play a simple game. Poor controls, interface issues, bugs, driver downloads, then I can't simply trade it off to another when I'm done with the game? Always on DRM with AC 2, that issue with almost all Ubisoft games...it just doesn't seem worth it.

Exclusives to your platform are just about the only thing I'll consider.

I'm following Shogun 2 Total war but I doubt I'll buy it. I'm following DoW2: Retribution but I'm not planning on buying that. (40k is so cool! NO DON'T BUY IT, REMEMBER HOW BUYING CHAOS RISING FELT! REFUSE! But I love 40k! I have to buy that!!!)

I look forward to trying Portal 2 on the PC after buying it for the PS3. I'd love to see more cross platform unlocks like this so if I buy something on the PS3 or 360 the steam version unlocks as well for my pc. I'll try pc games that way.

Guild Wars 2 I will probably take a look at. Playing Dragon Age Origins has been a lot of fun so that might be right up my ally.

Those seem to be all that interests me though, all platform exclusive I believe cept portal 2.

I don't understand why given the choice between a pc version of a game like Assassin's Creed brotherhood on the PC and PS3 you'd choose a platform that releases the game months later, includes always on DRM, costs the same, and is not easily traded. I think the ubisoft games can be traded to friends and such but in general finding a buyer is a much more difficult task than it is on the console versions. So many games are the same experience on both platforms so I don't understand why so many people put up with the stuff you see on the PC.

55. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 19, 2011, 00:40 Jerykk

As a pc gamer myself I'm floored at how companies treat their pc game customers.

Are you actually a PC gamer? What was the last PC game you played? How many PC games did you buy in 2010?

54. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 22:13 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 20:03:

I think you've missed my point.

When you own one platform for "gaming" right now and that platform is falling out of favor for big AAA games it's probably not going to make you happy. This is why I think pc gamers are pissed more often than not.

It doesn't help that your platform is generally more expensive than the more popular choices. It doesn't help that the games on that platform cannot easily be rented to tryed without risking the full asking price. (In Most cases) So are PC gamers more angry now? Yes. Wouldn't you be at this point? As a pc gamer myself I'm floored at how companies treat their pc game customers. That is why I don't consider purchasing the AAA titles on the PC.

Again this is a bunch of absurd generalizations and outright misinformation. Most people own a computer platform, games are not hardware intensive anymore and it's a simple one piece upgrade to game these days. You think PC gaming is expensive because you buy most of your games on the console side used and can't rent PC games, that's the simple truth here. The platform isn't "falling out favor" either, if anything we've finally started seeing more attention paid to it thanks to the success of Steam and other DD services.

53. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 20:03 Tumbler

That's a fairly ignorant and silly accusation, it's like me accusing you of being invested in an imaginary point system. You don't need custom "rigs" to be a gamer the same way you don't need a $2000 HDTV and $200 in accessories to be a console gamer. My machine is fairly modest all things considered and it would be pretty dumb to view it as an investment. People who work on their computer tend to do it out of enjoyment or to save money, sheesh.

I think you've missed my point.

When you own one platform for "gaming" right now and that platform is falling out of favor for big AAA games it's probably not going to make you happy. This is why I think pc gamers are pissed more often than not.

It doesn't help that your platform is generally more expensive than the more popular choices. It doesn't help that the games on that platform cannot easily be rented to tryed without risking the full asking price. (In Most cases) So are PC gamers more angry now? Yes. Wouldn't you be at this point? As a pc gamer myself I'm floored at how companies treat their pc game customers. That is why I don't consider purchasing the AAA titles on the PC.

52. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 18:29 Sepharo

Trainwreck wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 18:25:
Some of you sound like Glenn Beck or televangelists, needing a 'wartime' situation to justify your extreme viewpoints.

Oh come on, politics? Is this necessary? Glenn Beck doesn't need a "wartime" situation, and his viewpoints aren't extreme, unless by "extreme" you mean, "loves freedom and small government too much," in which case, color me an extremist.

Good job keeping the politics out of it, well done.

51. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 18:25 Trainwreck

Some of you sound like Glenn Beck or televangelists, needing a 'wartime' situation to justify your extreme viewpoints.

Oh come on, politics? Is this necessary? Glenn Beck doesn't need a "wartime" situation, and his viewpoints aren't extreme, unless by "extreme" you mean, "loves freedom and small government too much," in which case, color me an extremist.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo