Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month

THQ announces plans to launch closed multiplayer beta testing of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution later this month, giving players the chance to check out Relic's upcoming RTS expansion. Here's word on how this will work: "The beta is scheduled to go live on Monday, January 31st when global press and key Dawn of War® community members will be given access. It will then broaden to include everyone who has pre-ordered Dawn of War® II – Retribution™ on STEAM to date on February 1st. Finally, anyone who has bought a Dawn of War game through STEAM or has registered a Dawn of War II product on their STEAM account will automatically receive an invite on February 8th. There will be no open registration phase to this beta."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 13:29 KilrathiAce

Great news! I will be in! I really want to make sure their switch from gfwl to use of steam for matchmaking etc is all smooth, beta will help to ensure it.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 11:17 Jow

i went crazy when the beta for dow2 hit, going so far as to buy a copy of soulstorm just to get into it early. Fast-forward 2 years later and I can only say it was one of the biggest gaming mistakes I've ever made. This game was a bugfest and balancing nightmare from day 1 and I eventually gave up on it.

Don't get me wrong - the single player campaign was a blast, even better in Chaos Rising. Multiplayer, however, has been a joke for a long time. They have indeed supported the hell out of the game, but many of those patches were to fix major issues they introduced in other patches. Balance has been a ridiculous problem as well, with patch after patch fixing some problems but creating others. I came to the conclusion a while back that the game is going to be ever-changing because it's not truly possible to balance it completely (four races, so many different abilities, etc).

Anyway, having bailed on multiplayer for good, I'm not interested in paying $30 for a single-player campaign so I'm passing on this one. Hopefully they get their acts together a bit more for DoW3.

12. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 07:20 Flipper405

I have to pitch in and say I prefer the gameplay of DoW2 vs a traditional RTS as well... looking forward to giving this one a shot in February.  

11. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 07:08 StingingVelvet

Rhett wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 01:04:
$30 because it's standalone I imagine... Hell, with what PC publishers are trying lately ($60 COD, and others I believe), $30 for an expansion seems acceptable.

Considering $30 has been standard expansion price since forever ago I would say yes, it is acceptable.

10. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 07:07 StingingVelvet

entr0py wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 22:10:
Awesome, sign me up. My one real disappointment with DoWII and Chaos Rising was their experiment with a tactical RPG single player campaign.

People who buy RTS games are not allergic to RTS gameplay. The single player campaigns in DoW, Winter Assault, CoH and Opposing Fronts were all brilliant. They only need to give us more of that.

I'm the opposite, I don't really like RTS games but I bought DoW2 and its expansion because they were more tactical RPG than RTS. If this expansion is more of a normal RTS then I won't be buying it.

9. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 02:17 durandal

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Man, DoW&DoW2 really hooked me into the 40k universe, even though I never have and probably never will play the original tabletop game.

That said, I will just wait for positive reviews before purchasing this. I don't have much trust in the quality of their expansion packs.

8. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 01:21 TurdFergasun

DOW 1 and it's expansions were great. it's just too bad 2 has nearly nothing to do with those games. similar story with tales of valour vs coh and opfro. someone or some group within thq, whomever made the call to take these two franchises into the instant gratification rts/rpg, needs to be seperated from their position. by the time enough people completely abandon this franchise for them to care, there will be nothing left but worn out puckered anus of a great IP lying motionless on the floor covered in the grey diseased love juice of a bunch of greedy, uninspired cocksuckers.  

7. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 01:04 Rhett

$30 because it's standalone I imagine... Hell, with what PC publishers are trying lately ($60 COD, and others I believe), $30 for an expansion seems acceptable. Not to mention you don't need previous games (usually, with Relic games) to play it.

Relic deserves your money anyway. Constant patching + quality games from release! (<3 you, COH!)

I kinda miss DOW2, haven't played serious PC games in a while since my mobo died.

6. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 00:53 Suckage

@ Tumbler
Because we should forget the new race and long for Blizzard's and Westwood's "Golden Age" of gaming: merely hope for new units! Those were the days!

5. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 00:50 entr0py

Drezden, did you ever try any MP or Skirmish games in DoWII? You might be surprised. There's no resource farming, only map control that gives requisition. And every unit is an important investment and strategic choice. So no spamming disposable units and sending them to die while you direct your peons to build dozens of structures and mine minerals. Since you never need to go back and look at your base, the focus is always on personally directing your troops.

It's a lot like the single player, only you have vastly more options of units, races and wargear. At most you'll control maybe 8 units, not that much of a leap from controlling 4. Especially if you pause skirmish games like I do to micro-manage.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2011, 00:57.

4. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 00:28 Trevellian

Awesome, sign me up. My one real disappointment with DoWII and Chaos Rising was their experiment with a tactical RPG single player campaign.

People who buy RTS games are not allergic to RTS gameplay. The single player campaigns in DoW, Winter Assault, CoH and Opposing Fronts were all brilliant. They only need to give us more of that.

Sorry I disagree. I felt the single player required far more Strategy and micromanaging of abilities than a normal RTS. I enjoyed it a lot. Far better than farming ore and pumping out units to win every single campaign mission like other RTS games.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

3. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 17, 2011, 23:16 starmonkey

Each to their own - but the tactical RPG is precisely what drew me to, and to thoroughly enjoy, DoW2.

I'm not an RTS'er, but I love X-COM, so that probably explains it

Just saying that some people loved DoW2's co-op campaign.

2. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 17, 2011, 22:49 Tumbler

1 new race AND 1 new unit per racE?! Where do the find the time! I mean seriously how can they stay in business giving away such amazing deals for the low low price of $39.99! Whoa whoa whoa!!! Hold onto your socks ppl because the game is actually $29.99! OMG this is insanity!!!! It's so cheap for something that is SO SO SO WORTH IT. SO WORTH $30, I mean there is no way in hell that relic has totally fucked this series with their half assed expansions adding 1 race and 1 new unit to each army, I mean that would be crazy to say that this game is being driven into the ground by their absurd greed. I mean if they did something really pathetic like sold 6 different versions of the game so that each person only got certain items for 1 race then this might be different, but thank god Relic is such a class act!  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 17, 2011, 22:10 entr0py

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo