Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Abandons Older CPU Support

The EVE Online Website explains that when version 1.1.0 of Incursion launches tomorrow, CCP's MMORPG will cease supporting older CPUs that cannot handle the SSE2 instruction set, saying this means they will no longer support Intel Pentium 3 (or older) and AMD Athlon XP (or older) CPUs. Surprisingly, there are actually still players using such hardware, as CCP says this will impact about 0.3% of their users. However, the update also does leave it unclear whether this lack of support is permanent, as this vague bit explains: "We urge everyone who encounters this specific error to submit a petition to our customer support department. We will have updates on the next steps we take with this issue immediately after the weekend but we wanted to get a blog up ASAP to inform everyone about the issue." Thanks Big Download.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 18, 2011, 10:07 theyarecomingforyou

This is why consoles will always be superior to PCs.
Because they feature outdated hardware and can't be upgraded? Surely the fact that PC code is constantly evolving is a GOOD thing? People upgrade their computers, while updates improve the quality of the game.

Consoles are great for people that don't want to spend a lot of money or want a social gaming experience (local multiplayer). They're rubbish for people that actually care about the accuracy of input devices (FPS, RTS, RPG games all suffer) or quality of the graphics. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Wii, Kinect and Move (my brother has all three and I play them when I visit) but for gaming I much prefer a PC. And yes, I'm happy to use an X360 controller for games suited to it - that's not the issue. I just prefer the PC experience.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 18, 2011, 09:33 Aganazer

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 08:37:

Hehe
Yes, consoles are far superior machines for playing MMOG's.

7. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 18, 2011, 08:55 Viperstar

Yeah, 'cause you still get updates and support for your original XBOX...
And play EVE on it or any other console...

6. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 18, 2011, 08:37 Fibrocyte

5. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 18, 2011, 08:13 Zadig

I remember building an Athlon XP machine for myself in 2002. It was replaced by a dual core machine in 2005 which was replaced by a quadcore in 2009. It's inconceivable to imagine spending the last 6 years still using that ancient thing.  

4. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 17, 2011, 23:19 Beelzebud

I used to run a 4 player Left4Dead2 server on my Athlon XP machine running Arch Linux. It served the game fine with 4 players, and we never had issues with ping or performance. Then one day the Source dedicated server was updated to exclude processors that couldn't do SSE2, and that was the end of my server. I'm still bitter about that.  

3. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 17, 2011, 22:59 FreonTrip

They're probably encouraging those affected to speak up in order to determine whether this new issue is actually worth fixing or not. If three people scream in protest and refuse to upgrade, or find some other workaround? Nuts to that, it's not worth uglifying the code to help a tiny minority. If their estimate of 0.3% turns out to be off, then they can jump in to remedy the situation.

It would be interesting to hear where the affected systems are located geographically.

2. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 17, 2011, 22:22 Fion

I'm sure that .3% will be on the forums bitching as if they were 99.3% of the community lol.

Seriously folks, if your still using an Athlon XP or a Pentium 3, UPGRADE ALREADY!

1. Re: EVE Abandons Older CPU Support Jan 17, 2011, 21:57 bhcompy

For a while(through Apocrypha IIRC), EVE was supporting two engines(less modern and more modern engines), so I don't see why they can't in this case. I imagine that is what the petition will do, perhaps  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo