Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide Next Nears

Eurogamer.net has word from Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley on upcoming MMORPG plans. He tells them The Agency is still expected for PC and PS3 later this year, and says PlanetSide Next is due in the first half of this year, saying it should be late first quarter or early second quarter. He also tells them that in addition to their announced upcoming projects (The Agency, PS3 Free Realms, PlanetSide Next, and EverQuest Next), SOE also has "a lot" of unannounced projects in the works.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 18, 2011, 07:45 Veterator

Quick google search showed they laid off people from both EQ2 and Vanguard in July of 2010. And according to people who recently quit Vanguard, there's one NA server and one Euro server.....and it has one developer. So you know Vanguard is basically dead in the water at this point, once it's subs drop off to non-self sustaining levels they'll can it.

MXO people, I have no idea on those folks...I would guess the team was never very big to begin with since they bought the game on it's downward spiral.

And now it makes even less sense, if they were laying people off and had all these other projects in the works especially the "a lot of unannounced projects". I think we are being bullshitted on a number of fronts.

Lorcin wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 21:36:
Simply put Veterator although you say they don't have staff doing nothing - they do have 99% of the staff from stuff like Matrix Online and Vangaurd idiling - theres no way those people are working as hard in the first 6 weeks after launch as they are now. But the monthly subscripstion is still the same!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 21:36 Lorcin

Simply put Veterator although you say they don't have staff doing nothing - they do have 99% of the staff from stuff like Matrix Online and Vangaurd idiling - theres no way those people are working as hard in the first 6 weeks after launch as they are now. But the monthly subscripstion is still the same!  

20. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 21:18 Veterator

And you basically glossed over my question. SOE is not so big that it has support, artists and developers just sitting around doing nothing. So that means they are either stealing support from their current games or hiring on an abundance of new people. I have not seen any evidence of them actively seeking new people, as it seems people like to make a big deal of it when developers seek to fill positions.

So unless they've hired on people, they are pulling support from somewhere. Where did they get these people from? What is suffering because they reallocated these people? I would certainly like to know if I were playing ones of their games if they were pulling people off the game, especially people who had hands in creating content I liked the most.

But since you brought it up, can you tell me what kind of money they make off each of their MMOs that allows them to hire on more people or spread out their resources without fear of losing revenue from future content packs?

Because having done fine in the past, and doing fine now...is a substantial difference. I have no doubts that all of their MMOs are self sustaining, because if they weren't...SOE would shut them down in a heartbeat. That's how they operate.

What Im most curious about is how they developed the next Planetside game without any word of it's content or beta tests being leaked. And have just announced it a few as 3 months prior to the street date and still don't have any sort of visible beta or information out about it. To me, that is not a positive sign. The MMO devs who tend to hide all the content away for release day.....usually don't have much content and want you to buy in before you find out they ripped you off. Plus they haven't addressed how they handled the original Planetside...which basically got one content pack that had little of the vehicles and stuff that drew the attention of the original fans of planetside. And they never did quit fix lag issues....or release content or map updates...or much of anything to deserve a monthly.

Drezden wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 17:23:
Veterator wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 17:02:
My question is...how can SOE afford to have all of these projects running without hurting their current games? I mean SOE is fairly big in the market, but has no large game that you can point at and say "Wow that is really raking in the dough."

Plus it's SOE we're talking about here, they don't deliver even 75% of what they lead you to believe will be there.

Because, and I believe I've stated this like 15 times on the Bluesnews comments before.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE 12 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL MMO.

Not UO, Not EQ, Not DAOC, Not Asheron's Call, None of them. Ever had more than 1 million subscribers. They were not concidered "failures" they were concidered Successful and Pioneers in the MMO industry.

World of Warcraft is simply a bizarre oddity in the MMO space.

EQ and EQ2 did just fine for subscriber numbers. Planetside did great when it was first out as well.

On top of that an FPSMMO is a completely different target audience than a Fantasy or Sci Fi MMO.

I'd gladly play a Planetside MMO over any other MMOG

19. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 19:15 wtf_man

ASJD wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 17:27:
Games cost more to make than they used to. If selling small amounts could still make games that sold well gaming wouldn't be where it is today...

I agree, but looking at the last few AAA Flop MMOs, and their budgets... I'd have to say that they are mis-managing a large chunk of their money.... and a GOOD Indie MMO could come out at the fraction of the cost.

Eve Online kind of proves that (Although it is one I have never played due to lack of interest in it's theme)

18. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 17:27 ASJD

Drezden wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 17:23:
My question is...how can SOE afford to have all of these projects running without hurting their current games? I mean SOE is fairly big in the market, but has no large game that you can point at and say "Wow that is really raking in the dough."

Plus it's SOE we're talking about here, they don't deliver even 75% of what they lead you to believe will be there.

Because, and I believe I've stated this like 15 times on the Bluesnews comments before.

Not UO, Not EQ, Not DAOC, Not Asheron's Call, None of them. Ever had more than 1 million subscribers. They were not concidered "failures" they were concidered Successful and Pioneers in the MMO industry.

EQ and EQ2 did just fine for subscriber numbers. Planetside did great when it was first out as well.

On top of that an FPSMMO is a completely different target audience than a Fantasy or Sci Fi MMO.

Games cost more to make than they used to. If selling small amounts could still make games that sold well gaming wouldn't be where it is today...

17. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 17:23 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

16. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 17:05 ASJD

Probably gonna be a shitty flash game if it's coming out in a few months and there's still zero information about it.  

15. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 17:02 Veterator

14. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 16:55 ColoradoHoudini

that Orion game came out of nowhere..  

13. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 16:29 Suddenly_Dead

Lorcin wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 13:45:
You forgot global agenda - picked up for 5 in the steam sale and great for a 30 min blast

Well yeah, but Tribes: Universe is going to pretty much supplant it (there's a reason they've started pricing GA down). GA isn't very open or large-scale either, though they've said T:U should be.

12. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 16:04 Akuinnen

I'm ready to try the next PlanetSide. Have they released any information other than "It's coming"? I really think SOE treated the original PlanetSide like a red headed stepchild. It had so much going for it, but it needed polish. Dropping as a squad out of HART or transport and blasting everything was a thrill. Rolling a squad full of armor into battle was great. Adding BFRs was just crap.  

11. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 14:21 bhcompy

Nate wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 12:37:
bhcompy wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 12:26:
CCP is also working on a MMOFPS: Dust 514

If I remember correctly, Dust 514 is console only.

I believe it's console first, then PC if it succeeds

10. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 13:45 Lorcin

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 13:16:
PlanetSide Next, Tribes: Universe, Firefall, Orion: Prelude.

The faintly-Tribes-inspired-MMO/FPS genre is getting crowded.

You forgot global agenda - picked up for 5 in the steam sale and great for a 30 min blast

9. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 13:16 Suddenly_Dead

PlanetSide Next, Tribes: Universe, Firefall, Orion: Prelude.

The faintly-Tribes-inspired-MMO/FPS genre is getting crowded.

8. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 13:07 Fion

The market needs a larger-scaled FPS

The only decent 'fps' style MMOG at moment is Global Agenda which has pretty enjoyable PvP but it's not as large scale as Planetside was. IMHO planetside was the best MMOFPS especially when they'd introduce a free month once in a while. Because then, everyone that enjoys the game but didn't want to pay-to-play would hop on board and we'd have massive 3 way battles with hundreds of people that would last for hours.

One of my fondest MMO memories was during a free month of Planetside during a battle that spanned half an island between all three factions and on my side a big group of folks formed a tank rush in the big suits (it has been so long I forget what they are called, we were on purple team and at the time they had the best ones) and some 60 people coordinated in these tank suits and rushed a base in waves. It was so damn fun.

So yea, do Planetside Next right SOE and give players a lot to play with before you charge them for anything. That was really the failing of the first game. Pay-to-play for a game that was good, but not as good as Tribes or other free-to-play games of it's time.

7. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 12:38 space captain

fuck yeh lets see a new planetside  
Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 12:37 Nate

bhcompy wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 12:26:

If I remember correctly, Dust 514 is console only.

5. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 12:26 bhcompy

4. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 12:12 Cutter

It's another SOE console game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 11:44 wtf_man

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 17, 2011, 11:07:
there's Firefall.. but too many idiot jackass carebear, FPS-stupid dumbasses are looking to RPG or do PvE only/mainly content in a larger FPS.

Well... I'm an idiot jackass carebear when it comes to RPGs.

But PVE in an online FPS doesn't make sense to me... just as much as PVP in an RPG doesn't make sense to me.

I'm talking strictly balance issues here... An RPG will never be a "level playing field" for PVP due to melee vs. ranged, character stats / skills, and Uber Items that only with people that have "no life" can collect... where as with FPS's... it's ALWAYS ranged combat, twitch-based-skill, and anyone can "scoop up" the items (Big Guns / Armor) if they're quick / lucky enough.

So, my point is... I prefer to PVP in a shooter far more than an RPG.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2011, 11:51.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo