Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Can Firefox get its mojo back? Jan 16, 2011, 01:41 Mark

Thanks for the info!

That must've been alarming to see your bookmarks disappearing and re-arranging in front of your eyes, a gremlin in the works! I hope they fix that soon.

This might be unrelated, but I've had two Firefox extensions disappear. (nothing to do with compatiblity issues with the latest beta - they had simply disappeared from the extensions list at some point) and I wonder if that issue was sync related.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Can Firefox get its mojo back? Jan 14, 2011, 22:56 jimnms

Mark wrote on Jan 14, 2011, 13:05:
After reading the article I installed the Firefox 4 beta. I'm liking the new sync feature! Now I don't need to do backups of my Firefox data.

You should still keep local backups. Sync is just that, a service that allows you to sync data between devices. It's not intended as a backup service. Here is a quote from the Mozilla labs discussion group of a developer reply to someone who relied on Sync as a backup only to find out the hard it isn't and lost his data because he didn't keep a local backup:
Sync is a mechanism for exchanging data between clients (typically instances of Firefox). It's not a persistent cloud store, and it's not a backup service. It doesn't necessarily have all of your data (e.g., old history isn't uploaded), and it's not guaranteed to stick around.

There are also events that will deliberately wipe the server -- a storage version upgrade (as occurred between b7 and b8) being one of them. A wipe is a non-exceptional circumstance; clients will simply re-upload.

It's also has had recent problems of deleting bookmarks. It happened to me a couple of times last week. I use it to sync my bookmarks, passwords, history and tabs between my desktop and netbook. I had not used my netbook in several days, and when I started Firefox it must have synced up. I have my bookmark toolbar hidden on the netbook and I didn't actually look at my bookmarks, so I didn't notice anything had gone wrong. When I was back on my desktop that night, Firefox began to sync and I saw things disappearing and re-arranging on my bookmark toolbar. For some reason it restored bookmarks that I had deleted weeks ago, and it went farther and deleted bookmarks that I have had bookmarked long before ever using Sync.

I restored from a backup and forced Sync to reset and use the desktop's data, then on the netbook forced Sync to overwrite the local data with the Sync data. Whatever it downloaded from the Sync servers was still not right, it was out of order and missing bookmarks. Then when the desktop synced again, it decided to rearrange and delete things again.

That's when I found the Mozilla labs discussion group, and saw several other posts of people having similar problems. A developer replied in one of them saying that they are aware of a problem, but aren't quite sure what is causing it, so I have disabled Sync until they fix it.

Steam Profile

4. Re: Can Firefox get its mojo back? Jan 14, 2011, 18:43 Sepharo

Not sure if it is similar or not but my Chrome is sync'd at work and home.

When I need to use Firefox at a friend's house I find it very unintuitive now. Mostly simple things like typing a few characters and hitting enter for a site, or doing the same and hitting tab for a site search.

b <ENTER>
wi <TAB>
im <TAB>
ur <TAB>
wikt <TAB>

I know this is more about my browser adapting to my behavior than just being Chrome.

3. Re: Can Firefox get its mojo back? Jan 14, 2011, 15:58 Shok

necrosis wrote on Jan 14, 2011, 11:40:
I was unaware that it lost it.

I switched to Chrome about six months ago. If you have a beefy machine it's not much of a performance improvement but for those with older hardware (like a thinkpad T23 I use at work sometimes), Chrome is much more responsive and less of a memory hog than Firefox. I'll definitely try Firefox 4 when it is released though. I don't see a need to try a beta though.

2. Re: Can Firefox get its mojo back? Jan 14, 2011, 13:05 Mark

After reading the article I installed the Firefox 4 beta. I'm liking the new sync feature! Now I don't need to do backups of my Firefox data.  

1. Re: Can Firefox get its mojo back? Jan 14, 2011, 11:40 necrosis

I was unaware that it lost it.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo