Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

One of the monitors in my dual-monitor setup is in the midst of a lingering death. It goes blank periodically, and at other times it flickers like a strobe. The irritating thing is this was a ridiculously expensive 30" dealie with a boatload of features that I made the mistake of buying right after it was introduced. This is from Gateway, a company that has never been known for their displays, and I should have just looked elsewhere when they told me they weren't selling extended warranties for this particular model (which they have since discontinued). One of these days I'm going to replace it with something that matches my other monitor, a 28" jobbie from HANNspree that cost 80% less than the Gateway did, and has performed perfectly.

Monitored Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Super Mega Bot.
Sticks. Thanks Daniel.
Tesla.
Links: Blockbusters ... in LEGO.
Food by State.
Stories: TV Survival Scorecard.
Images: It Makes You Type Really Dramatically at All Times.
My Favorite Nom-Fighters.
Media: How to remove snow from your roof. Katuse puhastus: Bad judgement.
Streaker fail.
The Funnies: Dilbert. Thanks dakslf.
Follow-up: Big Bang Theory Gets a Big Renewal.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2011, 15:02 Rockn-Roll

Hmm...still no update from Blue. I think this is the first time in at least 5 years that 1/2 a day has gone by without an update (and never before that...blue is the most dependable news source in the world)...even when his power went out he was able to get something up. This could be serious.

As for monitors I bought iiyama for CRTs and HP for LEDs and have never been dissapointed. I still have a 21" iiyama CRT which I bought in 1998 and it still works fine...and it supports the still existing max of 2048x1536 for a single monitor. My 22" HP LEDs w2207 are excellent and have more features than I can use...they still kick ars after 6 years of demanding use.

I don't go cheap on monitors because I know that if I pay a premium price then I will only buy a monitor once and never again unless the available technology provides better resolution. But, as I pointed out the max resolution has not changed for 12 years...my iiyama monitors costed $700 in 1998 and it's still the best quality available, but most likely if I had purchased a $300 monitor in 1998 it would not have supported the max resolution and I would have had to upgrade at least once and perhaps twice and also been monitorless at some point due to failure.

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2011, 11:15 RoboNerd

Food By State?

The ravioli pick tells me the author's only Missouri experience was with the Italian restaurants on the hill in St Louis. The BBQ sitting in Kansas tells me the author ate BBQ in Kansas City, and like most people who only visit didn't realize most of Kansas City is in Missouri NOT Kansas.

Harumph!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2011, 00:55 4D-Boxing

Probably the infamous XHD3000. Gambled on refurb for $400 about 3 years ago. Figured the Gateway techs fixed the issue that caused so many people to exchange for another brand and resold them for cheap to break even.

No issues up to now but i i'll probably get the flicker, strobe ride all the way the final green screen death. Until then i will enjoy the bliss that is 2560X1600.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2011, 00:14 Sepharo

Lived in Michigan my whole life... Never even heard of a pasty.

And now looking it up on Wikipedia apparently it's a yooper thing.
That would be why.

I'll just pretend it's a pierogi pieróg.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 23:19 xXBatmanXx

Food by State.

Most of it makes sense - except for South Dakota's....I am from there and I have never heard of Chislic. I spent most of my life there and it has never been on a menu or table that I have been to.

There are many other things they are known for.....weird this is on the list...

/edit: Also being from Minnesota - Lutfisk would make more sense....oh well.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2011, 23:34.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 19:23 derelict koan

Streaker Fail is a masterpiece of modern video.  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 19:05 Veterator

There are televisions and monitors that turn on and blank out seconds later that are fixed by replacing bad capacitors. Which could be less than a 5 dollar fix if you have the time, tools and inclination to try it.

I have a some computers that are modern enough that I was going to attempt this on to see if it resolved their quirks. But need to buy the tools and practice removing caps from an old motherboard until Im satisfied that I can do it on a potentially salvageable machine.

There is a site called something like "badcaps.net" that offers to do cap replacements on stuff for a reasonable fee and warranties the work. Although I don't know if he would do a monitor.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 17:42 Creston

Make sure it's not your DVI/AVG/Display port cable. One of my dual monitors went out, and I was actually about ready to go get a new one when I replaced the cable on a "Ah, fuck it, I might as well try it" hunch.

Monitor is just fine now.

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 16:45 JohnnyRotten

I've got a set of 26" Westinghouse monitors that are complete crap.

Let us know which way you go Blue, I'm curious to see whats out there that's good.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 15:43 PHJF

Actually I almost got a Gateway monitor ~3 years ago, but I didn't because it was glossy. I have a Samsung that now periodically emits a very high frequency whine. If they ever STOP FUCKING PUSHING TN-TFT panels I'll get a new screen.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 15:35 Kxmode

LEGOs are useful educational tools to help children learn how to spend lots of money.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 14:39 Hoop

For monitor reviews go to this site, I think it's www.bluesnews.com
He posts hardware reviews everyday. Outtahere

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2011, 14:50.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: TV Survival Scorecard Jan 14, 2011, 14:20 Cutter

Cool to see Big Bang getting a 3 year contract! Anna Torv from Fringe is just teh hawtness. She looks really similar to an ex of mine which may be why I dig her so much.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 13:27 banddirector

Try the big Samsung monitor that Costco sells; it's pretty good for the price ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

4. Re: Out of the Blue - Gateway Jan 14, 2011, 13:04 Steelcamp

Now they are called eMachines :-P  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

3. Gateway Jan 14, 2011, 12:11 Jim

I didn't realize they were still around. I haven't seen a single piece of Gateway hardware, or known someone who has used one, in probably close to 10 years now.  
Jim

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2011, 11:57 space captain

And Azazel taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjaza taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, Armaros the resolving of enchantments , Baraqijal, taught astrology, Kokabel the constellations, Ezeqeel the knowledge of the clouds, Araqiel the signs of the earth, Shamsiel the signs of the sun, and Sariel the course of the moon.  
Go forth, and kill!

1. TV Survival Scorecard Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 Ratty

I watch Fringe and Supernatural - they're both in the Shaky Ground category. It's probably just as well, I still love Supernatural but even I admit the concept is getting kind of stale. I see The Cape is there too. It's normally a show I'd check out but given NBC's tendency to cancel these types of shows I decided I wouldn't bother investing in it. I watched Million Dollar Money Drop which is kind of a fun concept and could have been good but the questions are so asinine I'm glad it'll be canceled.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo