Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We actually went on a rare foray to see a movie in the theater last night when we set out to see True Grit. Then it turns out the start time I found listed online was incorrect, and we arrived late (d'oh!). We plan to try this again, but we're not very good at this, so I hope we'll be able to pull this off once again in such a short period.

R.I.P.: David Nelson, Ozzie and Harriet Star Dies at 74. Thanks Mike Martinez.

Gritty Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Clayball.
Mystical Battle.
Sierra 7.
Links: 12 geekiest snow and ice sculptures.
Stories: Japan's ANA becomes first airline to offer draft beer in-flight. Thanks Slashdot.
Office affair: Declare it in writing, says UK boss. Thanks Slashdot.
Mark Landis, Prolific Art Forger (registration required). Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Scientists Find Thunder Creates Antimatter.
Scientist Says NASA Must Study Space Sex.
NTSB weighs benefits of air bags for small planes.
Follow-up: ABC.com addresses V fans regarding full episodes of Season 2.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 18:34 Pankin

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 15:24:
I've never been a big fan of The Duke but the guy did some classic flicks that shouldn't be touched like True Grit.

Not sure if you're aware of this but, they actually didn't touch a thing in the 1969 True Grit. Not a single frame. They made a whole new movie! It's true. With younger actors and everything. The Duke's rep is not sullied at all.

I could never follow that weird logic about how remakes "ruin classic films" by merely existing. One might even say it's gettin to be re-goddamn-diculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 16:01 PHJF

The 3D in Tron (I saw it on Imax) was worthless. I literally forgot I was watching it in 3D about halfway through. It also didn't help that the first twenty minutes of the movie take place in the real world where there are zero 3D effects used. The visuals were nice and clean, but nothing I'd call mindblowing. It just has a hefty nostalgia factor. Unfortunately they dropped all the geeky bits (literally, there is no bit) from the original in order to garner more mainstream appeal. The first movie was a plea for freedom of data and end-user control, whereas this sequel is a bunch of nonsense ("CLU wants to destroy everything imperfect...???".

Olivia Wilde was supppppper hot, though.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 15:48 Draugr

oops - bonus post!  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 15:44 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 15:24:
I've never been a big fan of The Duke but the guy did some classic flicks that shouldn't be touched like True Grit.

If you're going to go see something on the big screen go see Tron. True Grit you can easily watch when it comes to dvd/ppv but Tron is worth seeing on the big screen for the visuals alone.

Tron sequel was the first 3D film I'd seen in theaters (besides the 10-minute things in Disney world as a kid).

I'd rather just watch it regularly. In my opinion there were only a handful of scenes that really benefit from the 3D. Plus I have a slight astigmatism so it takes me a little effort to get the 3D effect.

But I agree, it's full of incredible graphics and scenes that probably translate better in a high quality big screen (though a good home theater might be good enough). Admittedly the story is weak in a few little areas but it was still alright.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 15:44 Kxmode

kanniballl wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 14:49:
I don't play on XBox Live much, and when I do I usually turn off the voice-chat thing so I can't hear anyone. Either because of insensitive comments, CONSTANT talking, or someone deciding to put the head-piece near a stereo so the match is swamped with "My Heart Will Go On" or something.

This is 95% of people who play WOW. The only difference is I couldn't mute them because they're leading the raid, or they hold a key position in the raid such as managing DKP or knowing the strategy. You have no idea how irritating people are on Vent in WOW. It's like all the badness of humanity comes to the surface because they have a measure of anonymity. People are racist, foul-mouthed, xenophobic jerks who are constantly trying to out ePeen one another. I had enough of that crap. I never liked raiding in WOW primarily because of Vent.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2011, 18:10.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 15:40 Draugr

Tron was great -- you should expect to like it as much as the first movie and for the same reasons, True Grit was absolutely amazing, certainly a bit more genre oriented than the Cohen bros usually roll with.

This version of the film follows the book far more closely than the 1969 True Grit film. The Humor in it is peppered in better, and is far less goofy, it's much less of a 'popcorn movie' than the 1969 film.

I don't see why a remake of true grit would be verboten, especially when done this well and so true to the book.

Jeff bridges is the man, and is a great actor, it's too bad he 'phoned in' the performance in the new Tron.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2011, 15:49.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 15:33 nin

If you're going to go see something on the big screen go see Tron. True Grit you can easily watch when it comes to dvd/ppv but Tron is worth seeing on the big screen for the visuals alone.

I saw it on an imax, and it was indeed stunning. I think it will be the new poster child for bluray when it comes out later this year.

Also the first imax movie that made me mildly nauseous, although thankfully it was just a couple of seconds (that intro sequence where the camera rotates through the Tron logo and then zooms into flynn's house).

And AICN is claiming they're about to green light another sequel.

edit: And in other news!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 15:24 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. just a little push... Jan 13, 2011, 15:01 space captain

now its really rollin

haha too fuckin easy

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 14:52 nin

Ah, that explains it.

I don't play on XBox Live much, and when I do I usually turn off the voice-chat thing so I can't hear anyone. Either because of insensitive comments, CONSTANT talking, or someone deciding to put the head-piece near a stereo so the match is swamped with "My Heart Will Go On" or something.

I didn't think of that when I read it, thought it was about a move MS made or a game that was released.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/04/30/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 14:49 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 14:36:
Plus, maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the XBox = racist thing on the one from OotB. Was there a controversial game or something?

Remember how back in the day you'd join a CS server and it had some guy that just kept screaming racist crap until someone paid attention to him?
Remember how, when voice chat became part of the game, you realized that the guy doing that hadn't been through puberty yet?

All those guys now play Halo and MW on XBL.
Muting them is easy, but they'll be in a good chunk of the public servers of any popular FPS game.

Ah, that explains it.

I didn't think of that when I read it, thought it was about a move MS made or a game that was released.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 14:36 Beamer

Plus, maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the XBox = racist thing on the one from OotB. Was there a controversial game or something?

Remember how back in the day you'd join a CS server and it had some guy that just kept screaming racist crap until someone paid attention to him?
Remember how, when voice chat became part of the game, you realized that the guy doing that hadn't been through puberty yet?

All those guys now play Halo and MW on XBL.
Muting them is easy, but they'll be in a good chunk of the public servers of any popular FPS game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 14:35 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 11:22:

As a stand alone film, it's fine. Okay to good, not great. As a remake, *shrug* -- a couple of changes but nothing fundamental to the story. Overall, I wish the Coen brothers had spent their time making a new film. I don't see why they felt this slightly changed script was worth the effort of filming.

It was my understanding it was based off the book, and not a remake of the earlier movie.

+1

That is correct.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 14:33 xXBatmanXx

I also thought the movie was 'good' but don't see what all the hype is about....I also ventured out yesterday and went to it. Glad I paid the early fee of $5.00. All of the individuals did a very good job with their character, which made it very enjoyable but I thought the pace was a little off.

Oh well. Glad I saw it.

Flowchart: What Gaming Platform is Right For You?

Pretty funny how spot on that is....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 14:20 kanniballl

Fion wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 13:22:
I like this one better.

http://www.hardestlevel.com/702315904/what-videogame-system-should-i-own-a-flowchart/

Yeh, funny and simple.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 14:05 Kxmode

You can prevent rust on your car by keeping it away from oxygen.  

10. Re: V Jan 13, 2011, 13:53 kanniballl

Pankin wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 13:40:
I was really hoping they gave V the Battlestar Galactica treatment, you know? Update it with adult-level drama, make it appropriately dark-themed, etc. But no. It didn't happen. It's still an 80s show.

A shame.

Well, the 1980s mini-series was quite DARK already... especially compared to Battlestar Galactica. Making it darker darker (for today's times) would probably force it to a 10PM timeslot or into the realm of cable TV. Meanwhile the original BSG was a family-friendly inoffensive show a few shades darker than the Barny the purple dinosaur.

That all being said, yeh it's not that special and is just a cliche us-vs-them series. In fact, I believe the original show went deeper than the remake since it delved into the whole Nazi thing and how quickly and happily America (and the rest of the world) fell into the routine of all of "that."

Honestly, if not for the fact that so many sci-fi vets were on the show I'd give up on it. So far, Season 2 is a dissapointment.

I'll give it a shot, perhaps they'll step up their game. After all, we're not swimming in sci-fi TV shows at the moment, especially with most of SyFy's shows on hiatus.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: V Jan 13, 2011, 13:40 Pankin

I was really hoping they gave V the Battlestar Galactica treatment, you know? Update it with adult-level drama, make it appropriately dark-themed, etc. But no. It didn't happen. It's still an 80s show.

A shame.

8. Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 13:22 Fion

I like this one better.

http://www.hardestlevel.com/702315904/what-videogame-system-should-i-own-a-flowchart/

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 12:36 space captain

finally - the kama sutra is gonna get a zero-grav addition  
Go forth, and kill!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo