Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Sells 1 Million

As noted in a tweet by Markus "Notch" Persson, indie sandbox sensation Minecraft has now sold over one million copies. The Minecraft Website confirms this, saying: "So far 3171184 people have registered and 1000552 people bought the game." Thanks nin and Saether.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 13, 2011, 23:52 Jerykk

In the long run, do you really want the majors trying to get into this?

I'd like for the major publishers to take more risks by releasing lower-budget games. Ubisoft does this occasionally (Anno 1404 and Might & Magic Heroes 6). These niche games don't need $50 million marketing budgets so it isn't hard to gain a profit from them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 13, 2011, 22:49 Sepharo

Where's the fun in sarcasm if the person knows you're being sarcastic?  

12. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 13, 2011, 16:30 Talisorn

With regard to irony and sarcasm in the interwebz, lets start with some definitions ....
Irony is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. Ironic statements (verbal irony) often convey a meaning exactly opposite from their literal meaning. In ironic situations (situational irony), actions often have an effect exactly opposite from what is intended. The discordance of verbal irony is created as a means of communication (as in art or rhetoric). Descriptions or depictions of situational and dramatic ironies, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serve a communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality.
Sarcasm on the other hand is a form of irony used for specific purpose ...
Sarcasm is “a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt.” Though irony is usually the immediate context most authorities sharply distinguish sarcasm from irony, however others argue that sarcasm may or often does involve irony or employs ambivalence. Sarcasm has been identified as a possible bullying action.
Furthermore, sarcasm is usually identified by the tonal nature of it's use ... something that is quite difficult to identify is a textual medium ...
In English, sarcasm in amateur actors is often telegraphed with kinesic/prosodic cues by speaking more slowly and with a lower pitch. Similarly, Dutch uses a lowered pitch; sometimes to such an extent that the expression is reduced to a mere mumble. But other research shows that there are many ways that real speakers signal sarcastic intentions. One study found that in Cantonese sarcasm is indicated by raising the fundamental frequency of one's voice.
So distinguishing irony from sarcasm on a forum such as this is quite difficult, unless undestanding the authors state of mind at the time or given /sarcasm tags.

Ironically, it is a well known fact that Americans don't understand irony ... they only understand sarcasm (... unless carefully trained otherwise). So (assuming he is American) perhaps Tumbler WAS infact employing sarcasm due to natural racial incompetencies.

That last part was sarcasm, BTW ...

11. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 13, 2011, 08:41 Beamer

With these kinds of possible sales numbers I don't understand why the big publishers don't adopt the age old music/film industry practice of having 'sublabels' that put out stuff that is more experimental and lower budget.

Why?

Not many games have been as successful as Minecraft. If major labels start kicking out indies on $200k budgets and 3 month timeframes they'd be flooding the market with crap hoping something sticks. Someone will argue they're doing that now, but imagine how many more new releases there'd constantly be at that rate.

For another, look at your two examples
1) Film. Sublabels here tend to just be distributors. Typically the movie is already funded (or close to it) and very often already made. The sublabel simply distributes, as distribution is nearly impossible in the film industry without the backing of a major. Selling to a sublabel gets you in significantly more theaters, on pppv, on better cable channels and wider DVD distribution. Video games don't have this issue
2) Music. Recording used to be very cost prohibitive and distribution used to be difficult. Neither of those things are true anymore and the industry has collapsed, along with the relevance of sublabels.

Indie game production costs are fairly low if you're a small team. Many are doing it as a hobby. And distribution costs are low. So the benefit for a developer to sign with a major isn't there like it is in movies and was in music. And it isn't really there for majors. Their risk is higher, their reward lower. Simply hiring 5 guys to work on a team for 3 months costs let's say $50k/4 for each guy, figure another $5k apiece for benefits, cost for rented space, cost for HR, cost for payroll, cost for marketing, etc. It's just not worth it for them, similar to how you have successful upscale italian restaurants everywhere but it'd make no sense for McDonald's to get into it.

In the long run, do you really want the majors trying to get into this? With music the majors pretty much never touched anything good, anyway. With movies they do but that's because anything good has to go through them by default.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 13, 2011, 08:38 Armengar

I would have said heavier on the sarcasm than irony. I would imagine some EA/Ubi exec would be using those figures in one of their DRM meetings :-)  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

9. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 13, 2011, 05:02 BicycleRepairMan

Talisorn wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 20:45:
gilly775 wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 20:38:
Tumbler wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 17:58:
3171184 people have registered and 1000552 people bought the game

That is straight piracy right there, only 1/3 of everyone playing the game has paid you, they stole approx $50,000,000 USD ($25 x 2 million) from your pockets. Registered Users are pirates, don't think otherwise, that is straight fact right there. You don't even need evidence. They're stealing shit.

You need always on DRM to solve this problem. Use always on DRM and you instantly make $50,000,000 cause all those people will pay you.

Dude, have you even played the game? You need to log in to play and registered could be logging into the site. That means for the demo. This doesn't necessarily mean piracy.

Even with a post so obviously caked with irony to the point you can pull some off and make bread with it, some people just can't see it ....

Actually, he was being sarcastic and not ironic, which makes your comment very ironic indeed. ;)
Edit: Been thinking about my comment, and I guess it(tumblers comment) does count as irony. So basically I was wrong when I pointed out how ironic it was that you misused the word irony. Oh, the irony..

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2011, 07:55.

8. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 22:56 Kxmode

Lego Group called. They want their toys back!  

7. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 20:45 Talisorn

gilly775 wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 20:38:

That is straight piracy right there, only 1/3 of everyone playing the game has paid you, they stole approx $50,000,000 USD ($25 x 2 million) from your pockets. Registered Users are pirates, don't think otherwise, that is straight fact right there. You don't even need evidence. They're stealing shit.

You need always on DRM to solve this problem. Use always on DRM and you instantly make $50,000,000 cause all those people will pay you.

Dude, have you even played the game? You need to log in to play and registered could be logging into the site. That means for the demo. This doesn't necessarily mean piracy.

Even with a post so obviously caked with irony to the point you can pull some off and make bread with it, some people just can't see it ....

6. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 20:38 gilly775

5. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 18:31 skurk

With these kinds of possible sales numbers I don't understand why the big publishers don't adopt the age old music/film industry practice of having 'sublabels' that put out stuff that is more experimental and lower budget. Hell they could even craft an experimental mechanic into a small game, sell it digital only (Steam, etc.) and if it's successful roll it up into whatever multi zillion dollar 5-years-in-development title they currently have going at a "AAA" developer. Lessen the risk of a huge title bombing (since some of it has already been released via smaller games) and maybe even keep staff on instead of hiring and firing during every development cycle.

Yeah sure not everything is going to be successful, but if the budget is $200,000 and 3 months there's a lot less at stake than when it's $20 million and 4 years or whatever.

4. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 18:27 Sepharo

Overon wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 18:19:
I get the draw of this game. It gives me hope that gameplay can still trump graphics, sometimes. Because there hasn't been a game since 1992 that had worst graphics.

I dunno Voxelstein3D isn't that old. It has much worse graphics. Still neat though.

That YouTube video actually makes it look a bit better because of some compression.

3. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 18:19 Overon

I get the draw of this game. It gives me hope that gameplay can still trump graphics, sometimes. Because there hasn't been a game since 1992 that had worst graphics.  

2. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 18:00 Cutter

LOL Tumbler. That was funny.

Anyway, I still don't believe these numbers, probably because I'll never get the draw of this game.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Minecraft Sells 1 Million Jan 12, 2011, 17:58 Tumbler

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2011, 18:03.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo