Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Champions Online This Month

The Champions Online Website reveals January 25 is the launch of the new free to play mode for the superhero MMORPG. Word is: "Champions Online: Free For All also features additional premium content for purchase. Adventure Packs, items, powers and costume pieces can be selected a la carte inside Cryptic's innovative C-Store. Additionally, current players may continue subscribing as Gold Members, while new players may also optionally upgrade to Gold status, which unlocks most of the game's content and includes extra features for a set price of $14.99 per month."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: So which series is better? Jan 13, 2011, 10:56 Slashman

Ant wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 10:07:
City of Heroes/Villains, DC Universe, or this one?

I'm probably biased since I've been playing City of Heroes almost since launch.

Still...Champions Online is nowhere near as complete or properly done a game as City of Heroes.

I have no personal experience playing DC Universe Online...but some people think it leans toward being a console game first and MMO second. I'll have to wait for the final verdict on that before I pass judgment.

But between City of Heroes and Champions, there is no contest in my mind. And COH has really been heaping on the content and endgame stuff as well lately. Also they just released an expansion(Going Rogue) which is a very good place for new characters to start and offers story arcs with moral choices and opposing sides and viewpoints.

Also, character building in City of Heroes is just plain better in terms of powers and options.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. So which series is better? Jan 13, 2011, 10:07 Ant

City of Heroes/Villains, DC Universe, or this one?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 20:21 wtf_man

H4WT wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 11:59:
But NCSoft will never do free to play. If you look at their track record for previous titles, they'd rather just close them down (Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, etc) than go free-to-play.

Pretty much, an MMO needs to be designed to do F2P (with a micro transaction store)... which is why a lot of old titles (and titles that flopped) didn't go F2P. They dumped so much money in Tabula Rasa... they weren't going to dump any more to make a half-assed F2P game out of it.

GuildWars was always F2P... and that's an NCSoft published product.

H4WT wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 13:19:
We'll see about that. All GW2 has released are blog hype posts decrying the rest of the MMO industry (thus building rapport with gamers who are burnt out and tired of the same-old, a common PR tactic), some screenshots, and maybe a video or two.

I remember when SWTOR was considered the new herald of MMOs before they actually released anything that included actual content.

I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

Fair enough... and I agree for the most part.
However, since ArenaNet claims that their "Dynamic Event System" is designed to be the core of the game... and they had to design all the other systems around it... I have more faith in that approach than "Build a standard MMO and tack-on Public Quests or (cough) Rifts.

When you compare GW2 / Rift gameplay videos... the presentation aspects for the "Dynamic Quests" flow MUCH better (IMO) than "Rifts".

That said... I'll see what the market reaction and final release reviews are like, before I'd buy it.

15. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 17:40 Esoteric

H4WT wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 13:19:
Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 12:50:
and GW2 suceeds.

We'll see about that. All GW2 has released are blog hype posts decrying the rest of the MMO industry (thus building rapport with gamers who are burnt out and tired of the same-old, a common PR tactic), some screenshots, and maybe a video or two.

I remember when SWTOR was considered the new herald of MMOs before they actually released anything that included actual content.

Um, GW2 has had a PLAYABLE DEMO at several conventions. That's a little more than "screenshots and a video or two."

14. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 16:40 The Half Elf

Edited.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 16:30 Slashman

DokterBeefcake wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 12:14:
Narf2029 wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 12:02:
I play a lot of alts and rarely use my 50s so I don't know how populated it is up there.

But just think of all the end-game content you're missing, like Hamidon!

And... ummm...

Hamidon!

And.... uhhh.... Hamidon?

Apparently you were away and missed the Incarnate system and the 2 new TFs for it(plus additional content) that were released in issue 19.

As to servers being dead. Someone has to be smoking. Virtue and Freedom were in the red all night last night(heavy load) and all other servers were yellow(medium load).

Also, I don't know how people can have trouble finding a team on the servers that people could always find a team on even when the game was truly a ghost town. I have the opposite problem...I wish people would leave me alone and let me solo in peace.

12. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 15:10 warmbluelasers

JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 14:50:
MMO players decry the monotony of WoW clone after WoW clone...then flip out when they get in an MMO and some aspect of it isn't exactly like WoW.

Actually it lies strictly with the developers. Every clown that proposes their MMO to the investors thinks that animated runs that look like everyone has a telephone pole jammed up their anus and art styles as sophisticated as high-schoolers first discovering Poser is all it takes to replicate the Warcraft behemoth.

Unfortunately it's not 1999 and it's a little more complex than hiring some basement fanboy to write 100 variations of "go kill shit!" The crap they're doing stopped working years ago. It's time for them to find a new mountain to gold rush.

11. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 14:50 JoeNapalm

DokterBeefcake wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 13:23:
I have an idea. Why don't they stop making copy-paste grind trash and make actual fun games? Maybe people are tired of playing the same shitty grind they've been playing since Ultima Online.

It's a catch 22, Dok.

MMO players decry the monotony of WoW clone after WoW clone...then flip out when they get in an MMO and some aspect of it isn't exactly like WoW.

I hear you, though - I'd be interested in maybe paying for an MMO that wasn't more like a second job than a form of entertainment.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

10. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 13:23 warmbluelasers

I have an idea. Why don't they stop making copy-paste grind trash and make actual fun games? Maybe people are tired of playing the same shitty grind they've been playing since Ultima Online.  

9. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 13:19 YesterdayToday

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 12:50:
and GW2 suceeds.

8. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 12:50 Cutter

Well, DCUO is going to tank too. And you don't need to drop $50 on the client to try the game. There's the open beta or trial. And like every MMO coming out and failing these days the client will $20 inside of three months - with a free month - and around $5 within six months.

The $15 per month is still considered to be too much by most people however - just one more reason for them failing - so the price should come down to $5 or $10 at most. At the very least they should tie in pricing tiers. Basic F2P, $5 per month gets to you a bit more, $10 the whole package.

This whole genre needs a rethink and will get it after Rift and SWTOR fail and GW2 suceeds.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 12:46 YesterdayToday

Tumbler wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 12:27:
but so many of these things crash and burn hard because those copies of the game can't be passed on to people who don't want to spend $50-$60 but may want to spend $15 to try.

More often they crash and burn because the game developers fail at creating a convincing skinner box and gamers don't feel motivated to keep pressing the lever for food pellets.

6. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 12:27 Tumbler

Both MMO's, Champions and COH would be smart to go F2P right now just so they could take advantage of the players getting into DC Universe. Getting people to look at your product is 90% of selling it, if you get a million people to try then you only need 1% of those to spend money and you have 10,000 new paying customers.

Plus DC Universe is tradeable, people who don't like the game can give it to another person and they can try it by spending $15 on a sub rather than $50-$60 buying it new.

I'm hoping this will cause MMO developers to rethink their strategy regarding these games. Locking your game behind a "pay us $60 to see if you like the game enough to spend $15 a month" is insane. It's more complex on the pc because you don't use the discs and what is to stop people from trading their game out the moment they install? The account code mabye could be used multiple times, not at the same time on 2 active accounts, and would only give you free time once.

They obviously want that big upfront payout but so many of these things crash and burn hard because those copies of the game can't be passed on to people who don't want to spend $50-$60 but may want to spend $15 to try.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 12:14 warmbluelasers

Narf2029 wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 12:02:
I play a lot of alts and rarely use my 50s so I don't know how populated it is up there.

But just think of all the end-game content you're missing, like Hamidon!

And... ummm...

Hamidon!

And.... uhhh.... Hamidon?

4. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 12:02 Narf2029

I've had no trouble finding teams at all hours of the day or night lately, even with the overwhelming majority of people hiding away in AE. I'll admit I'm not much of an end-gamer though. I play a lot of alts and rarely use my 50s so I don't know how populated it is up there.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

3. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 11:59 YesterdayToday

Narf2029 wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 11:24:
I doubt it. In 4 years of playing City of Heroes I've never seen the servers under medium-high load at 2pm on a weekday, until recently.

In fact, at 11:30 in the morning there are two medium-high load servers. A year ago you'd never hear of that.

Actually, I played on Virtue and Freedom up till mid-last year and they were pretty dead. Hard to find folks even for what used to be the (super boring) all-popular Lord Recluse Mission Architect Farm.

But NCSoft will never do free to play. If you look at their track record for previous titles, they'd rather just close them down (Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, etc) than go free-to-play.

As for Champions Online, I wouldn't touch this even free-to-play, especially given custom archetypes aren't available and that was the whole point of Champions Online.

2. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 11:24 Narf2029

I doubt it. In 4 years of playing City of Heroes I've never seen the servers under medium-high load at 2pm on a weekday, until recently.

In fact, at 11:30 in the morning there are two medium-high load servers. A year ago you'd never hear of that.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2011, 11:31.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

1. Re: Free Champions Online This Month Jan 12, 2011, 11:01 Ruffiana

City of Hereos will be following suit by the end of the year.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo