Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month

Blizzard announces sales of over 4.7 million copies of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in the month since the release of the third expansion for their MMORPG, saying this represents "a new record for monthly PC-game sales." They also state that just before the cataclysmic launch of Cataclysm the game hit the 12 million subscriber plateau, saying this counts those still in their free month of access from purchasing the game and internet game room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days. They also point the way to their Career Opportunities Section as they look to continue to support the burgeoning World of Warcraft.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 12, 2011, 07:18 Eldaron Imotholin

Alright.

It's just so that more often than not when there's a topic going on about MMO's, the non-lovers try their best to make it sound like those games are shallow pieces of crap. But it's a genre, completely different from RPGs, FPS' or any other genre. Some ppl may just aswell complain that they can't do headshots in an RTS.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 12, 2011, 05:09 StingingVelvet

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 08:06:
People that expect every quest to be an awesome experience on itself, in an MMO, are completely and utterly delusional. How many quests does Mass Effect 2 have? Take that amount and multiply it by, what... 100 if not much more?

And MMORPG is about leveling up; gearing up; having much fun with other people; the thrill of pulling off complex co÷rdinations/tactics in groups; exploring; and most certainly more things, but this list are my reasons for playing.

Sure, maybe many quests are "grindy" (I indeed misinterpreted you on that, StingingVelvet) but atleast there are quests to get you leveled, unlike in many other MMO's. But is an MMORPG only about leveling up and gearing up? Most certainly not, as my above alinea points out.

I don't even care if my healing Priest doesn't get any gear during an instance run. I just love the runs on their own, especially if you have a group with lively people.

I'm not saying there aren't valid reasons for these things, I am saying they make me not want to play MMOs.

53. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 11, 2011, 08:06 Eldaron Imotholin

People that expect every quest to be an awesome experience on itself, in an MMO, are completely and utterly delusional. How many quests does Mass Effect 2 have? Take that amount and multiply it by, what... 100 if not much more?

And MMORPG is about leveling up; gearing up; having much fun with other people; the thrill of pulling off complex co÷rdinations/tactics in groups; exploring; and most certainly more things, but this list are my reasons for playing.

Sure, maybe many quests are "grindy" (I indeed misinterpreted you on that, StingingVelvet) but atleast there are quests to get you leveled, unlike in many other MMO's. But is an MMORPG only about leveling up and gearing up? Most certainly not, as my above alinea points out.

I don't even care if my healing Priest doesn't get any gear during an instance run. I just love the runs on their own, especially if you have a group with lively people.

52. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 11, 2011, 06:47 Muscular Beaver

Been playing since release and cant really say that the game was worth it.
It was really fun to level since the new zones and quests are very well made this time, but when you reach 85 and you got every reputation to the max and also have the best equipment you can get from heroics or justice points, then is kinda game over. I got to that point in 1 month with 2 chars. Now I am bored to death and only do some profession dailies and the daily random to get my valor points.

PvP is a joke too. Not only is the balance completely borked, but Blizzard also decided to nerf and buff the completely wrong classes and issues. They are making things far worse. Even though I have full PvP gear, I cant get myself to regularly PvP. Before Cata I was a PvP junkie, doing at least 10 BGs every day.
Oh well only 1 month left on my game time card anyway.

I just wish they would add more 5-man content and would release content patches every month. I simply cant get myself to raid because of the time and having to deal with idiocy and greed. Also because of resilience my reasons to raid have vanished pretty much. Why should I get better PvE gear? Just so I can hit NPCs better that are balanced around my gear? What if I get a good guild and in another month I have full raid equipment? What then? Whats the point? Boring and stupid.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

51. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 11, 2011, 02:50 StingingVelvet

PropheT wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 02:01:
...What?

What is there to do at level 85 in the game right now? You can:

1) Run the same battlegrounds/arenas constantly to accumulate honor/conquest points.
2) Run daily quests to gain reputation.
3) Run the same instances over and over again repeatedly to gain slightly better gear and/or justice points.
4) I can't think of a #4. Run old content to grind old reputations?

WoW is as grindy right now as it has ever been, plain and simple. Once you're done with the questing, all there is left is to grind for reputation, honor, or justice points.

And the questing to get to that point is 90% grind.

I'm not going to make fun of people who enjoy that, Borderlands, Diablo and every successful MMO ever made is plenty of proof that some people just get off grinding for shiny loot that means nothing, but I can't pretend I understand the motivation.

50. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 11, 2011, 02:01 PropheT

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 21:41:
The last time WoW was "grindy" was even BEFORE The Burning Crusade came out. The last time I grinded with my character was 5 years ago in the Eastern Plaguelands, and only from lvl 56 to 60 (lvlcap). And even that wasn't necessary if I knew where the proper quests were.

...What?

What is there to do at level 85 in the game right now? You can:

1) Run the same battlegrounds/arenas constantly to accumulate honor/conquest points.
2) Run daily quests to gain reputation.
3) Run the same instances over and over again repeatedly to gain slightly better gear and/or justice points.
4) I can't think of a #4. Run old content to grind old reputations?

WoW is as grindy right now as it has ever been, plain and simple. Once you're done with the questing, all there is left is to grind for reputation, honor, or justice points.

49. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 11, 2011, 00:56 space captain

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 00:35:
Which is a stupid internet term. The stupidity is constant.

and yet another stupid person is here to get in on the fun

stupid is fun, thats why people love to be stupid

Highfive

Go forth, and kill!

48. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 11, 2011, 00:35 StingingVelvet

space captain wrote on Jan 11, 2011, 00:09:
Drezden wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 23:58:
Sorry, I guess I just see it as stupid.

and I see playing WoW as stupid - so you see, everyone sees stupid people wherever they look - its fucking inevitable

+1

Which is a stupid internet term. The stupidity is constant.

47. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 11, 2011, 00:09 space captain

Drezden wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 23:58:
Sorry, I guess I just see it as stupid.

and I see playing WoW as stupid - so you see, everyone sees stupid people wherever they look - its fucking inevitable

Go forth, and kill!

46. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 23:58 Trevellian

space captain wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 23:50:
Drezden wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 23:08:
So what is the point in bashing on it.

the point of bashing games is that its fun.. why cant anyone get this through their grindy little hamster wheels? ITS FUN especially when the hamsters really start going at it with their tiny little legs.. fuzzy bastards are crazy for that shit - run run run run run run run

Sorry, I guess I just see it as stupid. I own a 360, a PS3, and keep my PC up to date with the latest hardware, so that I can play games. I thought THAT was what being a gamer was all about.
I guess I had it all wrong, it's about bashing certain gametypes because you don't like them, yeah! I get it now.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

45. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 23:50 space captain

Drezden wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 23:08:
So what is the point in bashing on it.

the point of bashing games is that its fun.. why cant anyone get this through their grindy little hamster wheels? ITS FUN especially when the hamsters really start going at it with their tiny little legs.. fuzzy bastards are crazy for that shit - run run run run run run run

Go forth, and kill!

44. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 23:08 Trevellian

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 20:57:
Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 19:41:
What is so good about this game? I'm honestly curious as you're like the 3rd person to mention it in this topic alone.

They sent me a beta key and it's WoW with ugly UE3-style graphics, all muddy and brown. Everything is identical to WoW except for the Rift events, which I didn't bother with. The writing was worse as well, and the design.

Pretty lame overall, but that's a "MMOs are meh" person talking. If you have been playing WoW nonstop for 6 years and love that kind of grindy bullshit I would imagine a new game that's exactly the same and competent is some amazing thing.

You definitely didn't spend much time with RIFT if you thought it looked Muddy and UE3-ish. There are lots of colors in the game, lots of great scenery and lights and bells and whistles from what I have experienced. If you haven't made it past level 6 and out of the starting zone, yeah, everything in that area is kind of brown and destroyed. For a reason, part of that storyline you thought was lame. And if you didn't participate in Rifts at all then yeah, you missed the entire point of the game completely.

I understand MMO's maybe aren't your thing. But if you don't like a certain type of game, you never will. So what is the point in bashing on it. RIFT in every way excels over WoW in every standard Blizzard has set in the past 6 years. And after 6 years, it's about damn time something new came out.

Back in the day it was UO and EQ, and then Dark Ages followed by WoW, since then, no one has tried as hard as Trion has. I think they'll do well.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

43. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 22:12 StingingVelvet

Tumbler wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 21:14:
I do not understand what people love about this game. I tried playing it for a few hours for 2 or 3 nights, I feel like I even went back a few times thinking, "it has to get better, I mean I'm missing something...right?" I guess I put in maybe 5 hours...but it's boring as shit. I don't get why people want to pay to play this.

I thought the same thing with my first couple trials years ago. I recently tried it again after the Cataclysm patch though and what finally hooked me was exploration... seeing all the new lands, the cities, all that kind of bullshit. I ended up playing it to the cap (of the core game) just to see new areas and to get a flying mount so I could see all the zones I never went to quickly. I've always loved exploring open worlds, it's one of the main things I like about RPGs, so it makes sense it appealed to me in WoW eventually.

The gameplay is fucking terrible though, so I quit as soon as I saw all the zones.

42. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 22:10 StingingVelvet

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 21:41:
The last time WoW was "grindy" was even BEFORE The Burning Crusade came out. The last time I grinded with my character was 5 years ago in the Eastern Plaguelands, and only from lvl 56 to 60 (lvlcap). And even that wasn't necessary if I knew where the proper quests were.

The quests are grindy, I don't just mean killing things endlessly. I just did levels 1-60 and with maybe 4 or 5 exceptions every quest was a pointless grind to kill or collect Xs and Ys.

41. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 21:41 Eldaron Imotholin

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 20:57:
What is so good about this game? I'm honestly curious as you're like the 3rd person to mention it in this topic alone.

They sent me a beta key and it's WoW with ugly UE3-style graphics, all muddy and brown. Everything is identical to WoW except for the Rift events, which I didn't bother with. The writing was worse as well, and the design.

Pretty lame overall, but that's a "MMOs are meh" person talking. If you have been playing WoW nonstop for 6 years and love that kind of grindy bullshit I would imagine a new game that's exactly the same and competent is some amazing thing.

40. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 21:27 raVen

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 20:21:
I'd guess that probably answers the question on how many of those 11/12 million subscribers are actively playing? As I imagine that the large majority of players will probably have gotten the expansion?
Creston
There are other territories that Cataclysm hasn't been released in yet.
The subscriber count also includes people that just barely bought wow (with or without expansions) and have started the free month. Or they could be dualboxing.

I think that the wow Community is killing wow. People are extremely rude, and now that I don't have anyone to play with anymore, I have no reason to play. (Good thing too, now I can get back to my huge steam/ps3/360 backlog)

39. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 21:14 Tumbler

I do not understand what people love about this game. I tried playing it for a few hours for 2 or 3 nights, I feel like I even went back a few times thinking, "it has to get better, I mean I'm missing something...right?" I guess I put in maybe 5 hours...but it's boring as shit. I don't get why people want to pay to play this.

Maybe it only gets good after you get a lot farther but I never booted it up again after the third night. I need to uninstall it in fact...

And STO, good god that game is just awful. I don't know what I found interesting about it before but trying to play that game again after spending $7.50 on it for 2 months of free play ended about 30 min after I started playing...need to cancel my sub so it never charges me.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

38. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 20:57 StingingVelvet

37. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 20:55 StingingVelvet

Drezden wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 18:45:
I equate it to 3 zones becuase that is all you need to go through to hit 85. If you want to see the others 2 it's because you REALLY want to see the Lore, or decide to do them on an Alt.

As Verno said though, isn't that the same with the entire game 1-85? I just recently did the WoW thing for the first time and got to 60 and there were a TON of 1-60 zones I never touched. It makes for a better experience with a second character I guess, should I ever choose to do that.

36. Re: Cataclysm Sells 4.7M in One Month Jan 10, 2011, 20:46 Pankin

Never played WoW. Or any MMO.

That is all.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo