Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls V's New Language

GameInformer.com has the reveal of the cover of their next issue with a profile of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda's upcoming RPG sequel. The cover features an unfamiliar language that ties in with the recently released teaser trailer for the game. This all leads to a Translating The Cover feature where they challenge readers to figure out what this all means. Word is: "During the trailer, you probably noticed some mysterious language being sung. What you might not have known is that the words are in the tongue of the dragons, an entirely new language crafted by Bethesda for use in the upcoming game. This complete language plays an integral role in the story and gameplay of the upcoming epic, and introduces an intriguing new facet to the Elder Scrolls mythology."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 20:48 space captain

dunno but if you have a fairly good PC you should check it out.. its handcrafted world, models, music, puzzles, dungeons, quests.. about 40 hours worth - its basically much better than the original game, MUCH better

really impressive stuff, the team almost assuredly has a future in the biz

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 19:33 Dev

space captain wrote on Jan 7, 2011, 01:39:
have any of you guys played that Nehrim mod for Oblivion? holy shit that thing is CRAZY awesome!
Don't think so... Have you already given me a link for that? I seem to recall the name for some reason.

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 11:13 Kxmode

I remember playing Ultima VII. Everything was in that runic language even locations on the cloth map. Could this be an old school RPG revival?  

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 08:59 Verno

Well said InBlack.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 04:02 InBlack

Icewind wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 22:44:
Bethesda is just so proud and acting so smug about this game...

Right now, I just want to see some gameplay. Until I see that the engine isn't an ugly piece of shit the way the previous TES game was, I'll expect Skyrim to be hideous.

It's still going to be console first, just like FO3 and and TES4. Due to that, I'm not expecting anything grandiose.

I'll be busy playing Crysis 2 and Witcher 2.

Well Im not sure about Witcher 2 but comparing Crysis 2 with TES:V is just...wrong. Crysis 1, was a sorry ass of an excuse of a game all eyecandy and no substance (or gameplay). Sheesh its not it even in the same genre....

I dont care if its console first, as long as its done well and is ported decently. PC exclusivity means jack-all if the game sucks...

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 01:39 space captain

have any of you guys played that Nehrim mod for Oblivion? holy shit that thing is CRAZY awesome!  
Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 01:36 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2011, 00:31:
Those time estimates are pretty optimistic. With CoD selling so well, I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 hours become the standard length of SP campaigns.

What do you mean "Becoming?"

5 hours has been the standard for quite awhile now. :\

Creston

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 01:35 Creston

I hope it doesn't follow Beth's usual path of promises. Otherwise their "entirely new language" will turn out to be a total of fifteen words where they just took the English word and switched the first and last letters.

That said, I'm fucking MASSIVELY excited for this, as I absolutely LOVED Oblivion. I've been sorely tempted to fire it up again on my 5850 and finally get to play it with all the insane eyecandy mods at 40+ fps.

Creston

12. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 01:03 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 21:57:
Yeah, that sort of minutia appeals only to the absolute most hardcore geeks and uber-nerds. You'd always be better off utilizing that time and those resources in providing more gameplay content and /or polish.
Or fixing up a few of those bugs that always riddle beth games from the dragonfall days to present?

11. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 00:40 eRe4s3r

Not to mention Witcher 2 comes May 17th - and Fable 3 (PC) is supposed to come mid Feb (if that still stands true, amazon says so anyway). Add to that RAGE, BRINK, Crysis 2, and TES5 this gaming year might easily become a good one.

Also while FO3 might have been consolized with the boatload of mods possible (and if mods for TES5 are possible) i don't really care all that much. Heck theres also Portal 2 coming. (And TW Shogun!)

10. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 00:31 Jerykk

Those time estimates are pretty optimistic. With CoD selling so well, I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 hours become the standard length of SP campaigns.  

9. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 7, 2011, 00:18 Beamer

Right now, I just want to see some gameplay. Until I see that the engine isn't an ugly piece of shit the way the previous TES game was, I'll expect Skyrim to be hideous.

It's still going to be console first, just like FO3 and and TES4. Due to that, I'm not expecting anything grandiose.

I'm calling it top 5 of 2011. Without seeing a single screenshot.

I'll be busy playing Crysis 2, too. But when the 8 hours of gameplay are done, well, actually I'll probably be playing Gears of War 3 with a buddy. But when that 10 hours of gameplay is done, well, you damn well better believe I'll be putting 60-80 into this game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 23:13 Jerykk

I wonder how Game Informer keeps getting all these exclusives. Video game magazines are pretty much dead and I'm sure there are numerous websites out there that have more viewers than GI has readers. In addition, wouldn't it make a lot more sense for publishers to release news and info to as many outlets as possible so as to maximize coverage?

Though, I think Game Informer may be owned by Gamestop, which would explain everything.

7. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 22:44 Icewind

Bethesda is just so proud and acting so smug about this game...

6. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 22:33 Techie714 ©

NigerianRoyalty wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 22:06:
<dragon>

Seen any mudcrabs lately?

</dragon>

No but I did run across a mirelurker the other day....Oh wrong IP..sorry...

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 22:10 Sepharo

NigerianRoyalty wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 22:06:
<dragon>

</dragon>

Mudcrabs speak English don't they?

4. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 22:06 NigerianRoyalty

<dragon>

</dragon>

3. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 21:57 Cutter

Yeah, that sort of minutia appeals only to the absolute most hardcore geeks and uber-nerds. You'd always be better off utilizing that time and those resources in providing more gameplay content and /or polish.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 21:40 JohnBirshire

Yawn.

Think they are wasting their time on this facet of the game. Other developers have tried to do something similar, like Tabula Rasa with it's own written language...and nobody cared.

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was:

j&#8319;&#8319;±&#9834;&#9484;&#9532;|ؤو&#9579;&#9553;P2&#9554;&#9794; &#9612;5&#9566;&#9658;&#934;`&#9484;x&#9555;

My bad.

1. Re: The Elder Scrolls V's New Language Jan 6, 2011, 21:37 StingingVelvet

Please for the love of God be well-written and interesting lore-wise again.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo