Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds

The Intel AppUp center now offers the Windows edition of Angry Birds, the birds, pigs, and slingshot game which has proven quite popular with mobile gamers. The PC version supports Windows 7 and Windows XP, and sells for $4.99 USD. Thanks Big Download via Rock Paper Shotgun.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 17:30 VoodooV

I'm still shocked it's free on Android. I'd gladly pay the monies..even now after playing it a long time.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 14:16 nin

Congratulations on having taken over the #1 Tool on Bluesnews title from Zeph with this post.

Wow!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 14:07 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 22:40:
Is Angry Birds still free on android?

I expected the free beta, but then when the full game was free too but yet you have to pay on iPhone and now PC. How'd that happen?

It's free on Android, but it comes with ads. Trust me, I'd MUCH rather pay 5 bucks for it to be ad-free...

(although you can just turn off your phone's data connectivity to have no ads whatsoever.)

Creston

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 14:05 Creston

Icewind wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 21:13:
SirKnight wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 20:53:
Cool! I have this for my iPod touch, iPad and Android 2.2 phone. It's a very good game. These guys have made a ton of money on this.

Let me guess.

You're 35, have 2 kids and think gaming is "super fun".

This game, like you, is a pimple on the hobby's rear end.

Congratulations on having taken over the #1 Tool on Bluesnews title from Zeph with this post.

Angry Birds is a fucking AWESOME game, even if it's frustrating as hell at times. Not all phone games are pieces of shit.

That said, I think without the touch screen interface, it won't be as fun.

Creston

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 10:43 Elessar

Sepharo wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 01:16:
Hearing the theme from Angry Birds engages a Pavlovian response in me to need to shit.

That's the extent of my mobile gaming.
LOL!

I used to say I'm going to the bathroom. Now I say "I'm going to play Angry Birds" instead.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 10:39 Elessar

Cool! I have this for my iPod touch, iPad and Android 2.2 phone. It's a very good game. These guys have made a ton of money on this.

Let me guess.

You're a total douchebag. Just so you know.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 10:09 space captain

let the hate flow like wine Devil  
Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 10:00 sauron

Let me guess.

Move over Derek Smart, an even bigger ass has arrived in town.

What a complete nincompoop.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2011, 10:25.

Kittens!

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 09:26 Beamer

Would be better IMHO if they cut the lesser 50% or so of the levels.

As a mobile game it's all about quick content.
You want something people can pick up and jump right in and right out of, while having enough content to keep them occupied for a few weeks.

Your average customer is probably playing on the bus on the way to work, or sitting in the doctor's office, etc., and has no control over how long he plays for.

Which is why I have no interest in this game for PC rather than mobile.
And which is why Monopoly remains the best mobile game I've had. It loaded quickly, it saved after every turn, and the AI was dumb and obvious enough that it became less about winning and more about figuring out how to best trick the AI, giving good replay value.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 06:23 DG

Yeah it's free on Android. Ad-supported, but he ad is reasonably small and doesn't show up if you disconnect mobile & wifi. I might have considered paying a trivial amount for the phone but can't see it happening on PC.

Fun game with a lot of polish, decent way to spend a train journey, break or whatever. Mostly quite easy as you'd expect, I'd presume anyone here playing it likely to go straight for trying to get 3 stars on every map.

It does generally lack a bit of genius with the level design. I'm maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of the way through (there's a ton of levels) and there's not been many where there's something clever happening e.g. a big chain-reaction. Would be better IMHO if they cut the lesser 50% or so of the levels.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 04:26 entr0py

PHJF wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 00:55:
Aren't there already five million games like this on Newgrounds for free?

The gameplay isn't unique. But the level of polish and overall experience is better than similar free flash games. Think of Plants VS Zombies compared to a typical recycled sprite tower defense game. Same gameplay, but but all that extra polish and design make a huge difference. It actually takes it from one time distraction to a game you'll enjoy enough to come back to.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 04:25 Dmitri_M

SirKnight wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 22:08:
Just when I thought I knew the biggest idiot ever, you come along and take the crown. Interesting how you can judge someone so harshly based off of one game they like. I bet you're a blast to hang out with and I'm sure all the ladies love you!

Don't be rude. He's right about the game being a pimple. Tech "journalists" think this is an actual game.

SirKnight wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 22:08:
I like Angry Birds b/c it's simple, yet addicting and challenging and has a lot more value than a lot of modern games (CoD for example).

It's not challenging. Randomly spamming and retrying will win all levels. I think as a mobile 'game' it's fine but playing this on a PC is laughable.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 01:16 Sepharo

Hearing the theme from Angry Birds engages a Pavlovian response in me to need to shit.

That's the extent of my mobile gaming.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 01:02 eunichron

It is still free on Android, with ad support.

Addicting and fun game. I can't even imagine how many hours I've wasted with it while at work, but I couldn't justify paying for a Windows version when I already have it for free on my phone.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 00:55 PHJF

Aren't there already five million games like this on Newgrounds for free?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 5, 2011, 23:36 PropheT

Sepharo wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 22:40:

I expected the free beta, but then when the full game was free too but yet you have to pay on iPhone and now PC. How'd that happen?

Not sure. At least on my iPad there's a free version and then the full version, but the full version there I swear I only paid something like $2.99 for.

Maybe there's something more to the PC version? It's worth noting that the $4.99 price is temporary; it's supposed to go up to $9.99 at some point...which while being a fun little game, I don't know why it would be that much when it's only $4.99 on the Apple store (I just checked it there).

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 5, 2011, 23:01 Jivaro

Let me guess.

No, that would be you being the hobby's rear end.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 5, 2011, 22:40 Sepharo

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 5, 2011, 22:34 nin

No, that's you, Asswind.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 5, 2011, 22:28 Yakumo

I wonder how many users of this site _don't_ consider themselves pretty serious gamers?

I could be wrong (I hope so, I want the site userbase to expand) but most blues users seem relatively oldschool.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo