Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes

Shacknews has a confirmation from Ubisoft of recent indications that Ubisoft has removed the requirement of a constant internet connection from its DRM scheme. Confirming this unpopular aspect of their DRM is no longer present in Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell: Conviction, they have word that other games will be handled on a case-by-case basis, and that new games will still use the system.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 18:10 Sepharo

avianflu wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 16:37:
"Don't be all pouty about it"

I like that phrase and will try to use it in proper context tomorrow at work

It's more confrontational cousin is fun too.

"I hate these new cover sheets for the TPS reports."
"So pout about it."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. No subject Jan 5, 2011, 17:16 Pippiwolf

It's about time. They really pissed off a lot of their customer here.  

29. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 16:37 avianflu

"Don't be all pouty about it"

I like that phrase and will try to use it in proper context tomorrow at work

28. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 16:25 Overon

Ubisoft does not want my money still.  

27. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 10:20 nin

It's like trying to convince a politicians to genuinely smile every once in a while.

Yeah! That makes perfect sense!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 09:44 Eldaron Imotholin

DDI wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 07:55:
Why even post it? Do you want someone to convince you to keep reading a gaming news site? Either you want to read this style of gaming news or you don't. Don't be all pouty about it if you feel you've changed opinion. Go off and be a sad panda.

Haha, how freakin' serious can you be, man? Show some liveliness.

Oh whatever. It's like trying to convince a politicians to genuinely smile every once in a while.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

25. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 09:12 Verno

Not enough, get rid of it entirely and none of this case by case crap. I have enough DRM from Steam, D2D and etc. Treat me like a customer instead of a pirate.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

24. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 08:12 InBlack

Developing DRM is expensive. Maintaining servers is relatively cheap compared to the development cost, so theyve already shot themselves in the foot the minute they decided to go down this road.

I would expect that this is more a publicity stunt to "repair" their tarnished image than anything else really.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 07:55 DDI

Why even post it? Do you want someone to convince you to keep reading a gaming news site? Either you want to read this style of gaming news or you don't. Don't be all pouty about it if you feel you've changed opinion. Go off and be a sad panda.

Anyway,
I wonder if running the DRM servers with associated ISP costs was what sunk this. If you think about it, it couldn't have been that cheap.

22. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 06:33 Eldaron Imotholin

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 03:38:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 20:48:
*enters a random topic expressing how sad he is that he truly doesn't give a shit about all the latest Bluesnews news. Very sad, but true..*

If you got nothing to post, dont post. If youve stopped caring about the latest Bluesnews news, well there is a very simple solution to your "problem". Stop visiting the page.

But I was hoping we could get this whole Yeah-Me-Too-Man! thing going Just to get the sense I'm not completely alone in this world... *walks away, quite sad still*

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

21. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 04:15 Dev

Ah, so settlers 7 still has it. Got it, then I'll stop looking to buy a legit copy of it on a steam sale. I need to try it out anyway first before I shell out money for it (does it have a demo?), make sure its something I'd enjoy. The last couple/few settlers games before 7 turned me off of the series. I really enjoyed the earlier settlers games though. Too bad ubisoft doesn't put some of those older titles up for a decent price, I'd buy them.  

20. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 03:38 InBlack

*enters a random topic expressing how sad he is that he truly doesn't give a shit about all the latest Bluesnews news. Very sad, but true..*

If you got nothing to post, dont post. If youve stopped caring about the latest Bluesnews news, well there is a very simple solution to your "problem". Stop visiting the page.

Back on topic, Im guessing they will try this with at least one new release and then compare numbers to see if the sales are suffering. If they are smart....actually thats quite a big IF.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 01:36 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 00:40:
Assassins Creed is definitely worth getting for most gamers, though some people can be turned off by a somewhat simple control scheme and combat system. I'm not - I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2, especially since I cracked it and didn't have to put up with Ubisoft's idiotic and contentious DRM scheme. Ditto for Silent Hunter 5, though make sure you get the community fixes as once again Ubi let an unfinished Silent Hunter game sail broken. The latest Splinter Cell is of less worth due to its length, so maybe wait for a sub-$20 sale.

Conviction is indeed short, but the challenge maps are actually fun, which is sort of unique for me. Usually I see something on the menu like challenge maps and I chuckle at the idea of it, but in Conviction I actually enjoyed playing through them and was even briefly tempted to buy the DLC ones.

18. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 00:40 Prez

Assassins Creed is definitely worth getting for most gamers, though some people can be turned off by a somewhat simple control scheme and combat system. I'm not - I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2, especially since I cracked it and didn't have to put up with Ubisoft's idiotic and contentious DRM scheme. Ditto for Silent Hunter 5, though make sure you get the community fixes as once again Ubi let an unfinished Silent Hunter game sail broken. The latest Splinter Cell is of less worth due to its length, so maybe wait for a sub-$20 sale.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 00:27 Tanto Edge

Like the excessively tight sphincter it is, slowly did it relax..  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

16. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 5, 2011, 00:06 Acleacius

No sale, thanks ubi for playing, ubi for dummies.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 4, 2011, 23:12 Jerykk

necrosis wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 20:56:
The games still require an internet connection every time you launch it.

How is this any better now?

It's better than having games pause whenever you lose your connection to Ubisoft's DRM servers.

Granted, it's still pretty terrible.

14. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 4, 2011, 23:06 VQBlade

Does this mean you can actually play online coop with a friend WITHOUT using Tunngle?? That would be great!  

13. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 4, 2011, 22:45 space captain

this kinda shit usually doesnt fly too long, so live it up while you can

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 4, 2011, 22:39 Creston

Sadly for them, I'm still not buying any of their games anymore.

Creston

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo