Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I saw on the news this morning that this area is all of two inches away from our average winter snowfall total, all of two weeks into the winter. I think that means we will probably have more snow than normal (we actually hit that total about four days after the season began). It seems unfair to have a harsh winter after a harsh summer, but I guess there's not supposed to be anything fair about it.

Fair Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Thug.
Meteor Wars.
Dragon Spirits.
Links: Blue's News on the Alcowebizer. Thanks Neatorama.
Mobius Strip Traffic Light. Thanks [H]ard-OCP.
Stories: Garbage pile saves suicide jumper.
Burlesque Dancers Attempt To Break World Record In London.
Philippines killing- 'Killer'caught in victim's photo.
Science: China says it knows how to reprocess nuclear fuel.
Blood test to spot cancer gets big boost from J&J.
To Stave Off Panic, Don't Take a Deep Breath. Thanks Neatorama.
Edible Protoss Nexus.
Jurassic Yoshi.
Dirty Harry Potter. Thanks Joker961 via reddit.
Media: Timelapse Video Of A New Year's Spent Gaming Wildly.
UNDERCITY: An Underground Expedition Through New York City.
Driving in America.
Auction: Lennon's white 'Abbey Road' suit sells for $46,000.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Savage Chickens.
Follow-ups: Fireworks may have caused Arkansas bird deaths.
No word from stuck NASA Mars rover Spirit.
Stargazing and dark sky tourism.
Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline.
Early partial solar eclipse for 2011.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2011, 00:07 space captain

dont they ever  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2011, 00:01 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 18:21:
I disagree....i hate the cold. I am tired of morons crashing into each other and cement barriers. It isn't that hard to keep your car on the road. If you have a little shitty car - stay the F home.

I much rather prefer a hot steamy day at the lake than a frozen one.

Eh, different folks different strokes.

I hate hot and steamy. It's harder to reach a comfortable temperature outside, particularly when humidity is a factor. Shade only does so much with humidity, and pools/lakes require prep and cleaning up.

Dealing with cold usualy just means an extra layer or two unless it's balls-cold out there like 10F without windsheer, -XF with windsheer. I'm sure some reader in Minnesota just called me a p*ssy but if I'm hitting those temps I need under-armor or I'm going inside.

The driving part sucks though, at least the part where you have to share the road with morons.

I can understand if someone in California or Texas where some parts see very little snow don't know how to drive on it properly. But when they live in a state that gets its fair share of snow EVERY FLIPPIN' YEAR you'd think they'd learn to drive on it.

And don't get me started on ice. I can see snow being more rare (even by me we've had the occasional light 2-snowfall winter). But ice is fairly common in the freezing states in the winter and yet people still fail to respect its danger.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2011, 00:29.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 18:33 Cutter

Feruary is just ass-wiping bad. I hate that month more than any other. And while we hate that cold, soggy spring, soon as you get that first real warm, sunny day you know it's all good as summer is almost here. Much as I like the heat over the cold I do love the 4 seasons and would have a hard time living somewhere where it's just hot all the time.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 18:26 zirik

i love snow but not when i have to shovel it and remove drifts from the car parked outside. im just glad the blizzard bypassed the DC area and headed towards new york this year. i dont mind wearing multiple layers to keep warm outside but when its freakin hot there is nothing you can do buy stay indoors. lost count on how many days i had headache induced by the heat this past summer.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 18:21 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 10:13:
I still find it very pretty.

And it beats the hell out of hot summer!

I disagree....i hate the cold. I am tired of morons crashing into each other and cement barriers. It isn't that hard to keep your car on the road. If you have a little shitty car - stay the F home.

I much rather prefer a hot steamy day at the lake than a frozen one.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 15:43 PHJF

All my Ohio snow melted days ago when it was 50* for some reason. The next day it was below 30.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 13:59 nin

You summed it up well, kanniballl. I love the snow, but driving in it is less than desirable. As long as it's a snow and not melted/reiced, it's even fun to drive. But once ice gets involved, I'd rather just stay inside.

I still have flashbacks to a few years ago with the huge ice storm we had here. 9 days without power, and living with various friends/family. To finally get power back the week before xmas was like having the holiday early.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 13:58 SpectralMeat

kanniballl wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 13:38:
I'd probably grow sick of it quickly if I lived somewhere known for heavy and frequent snow such as the northern states or even Canada.

Yup that's where I am from. There are tons of idiots on the road especially during the first snow falls. I do like the snow and the cold but like I said by around May I am pretty sick of seeing any snow on the ground.

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 13:38 kanniballl

I love the snow.

Everything looks pretty. All of the (now) dead grass is covered, and trees are often frosted in white for at least a short time. I recall a couple of beautiful scenes involved crystal-looking trees.

My dog loves it, gets to jump around and just randomly "eats" snow here and there. Plus unlimited "catch" ammunition.

I get a little bit of exercise from the little shoveling I do.

If it's only fairly bad, I can usually just work from home.

If it's really bad, we get either a delayed opening or a snow day at work.

Things quiet down, it's a good time to just sit on a comfy couch and watch a film.

The only time I don't like it is when I have to hit the roads and they're unplowed and/or sloppy. One year in particular was quite bad, a normal 20 minute commute took forever and I was almost in a whole bunch of accidents due to the way idiots were driving around.

Seriously, when there is snow (or ice or slush) on the ground, speeding is just plain stupid. If anything, you should be going under the speed limit. Yet I saw people doing 45 in a 25 that stomped on their brakes, only to skid and hit a car..

Granted, this is coming from upper/central New Jersey. I'd probably grow sick of it quickly if I lived somewhere known for heavy and frequent snow such as the northern states or even Canada.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2011, 13:54.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Stargazing and dark sky tourism Jan 4, 2011, 11:23 Jim

I just did this a week ago down in the Everglades (Big Cypress National Preserve to be exact).

Saw an incredible display of zodiacal light, Southern Cross, Eta Carinae, and Omega Centauri.

Jim

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 11:05 nin

Whoa! Machete is out on dvd this week! WHOO!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 11:01 osage no onna

That alcowebizer thing is apparently a phishing site.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 10:33 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 10:11:
Whilst the shoveling and what not can be a pain in the ass, I still find it very pretty.

Same here, however around the end of April and beginning of May I am getting kind of sick and tired of seeing snow on the ground

Steam: SpectralMeat

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 10:13 nin

I still find it very pretty.

And it beats the hell out of hot summer!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2011, 10:11 Cutter

Told ya. After hot summer comes harsh winter. Whilst the shoveling and what not can be a pain in the ass, I still find it very pretty.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo