Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting "Special Effort"

A tweet by David Goldfarb answers a question posed to DICE's lead designer on Battlefield 3 about whether their upcoming military shooter sequel will be a PC exclusive, harkening back to the old days when there were AAA shooters that were not released on consoles. David debunks this exclusivity rumor, but does say the PC edition is receiving "special effort," saying: "it will not be exclusive. We are putting special effort into the pc version, even for us, it's extraordinary."

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 6, 2011, 04:58 Evil Timmy

Despite the somewhat awkward phrasing at a few points, this article does a good job at describing exactly where TV resolutions make a difference. To quote their conclusion (based on standards of 20/20 vision)...

In other words, you would not enjoy any benefit from the higher pixel count associated with a 1080p HDTV if you were to sit further away than 1.8 times the TV screen width; your 1080p HDTV and a cheaper 720p TV of the same screen size will both appear just the same!

What that means is, for 1080p, if you have a 42" screen, sitting further away than 42"x1.8=75.6", your vision is no longer good enough to differentiate an individual pixel, and the screen's resolution starts to be wasted on you. The multiplier for 720p is 2.7, and SD is 5.37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 4, 2011, 17:39 Zardoz5

Nighthawk wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 07:38:
I reinstalled BF2 and 2142 in November and still enjoyed them, but what amazed me was the lack of a "special effort" in fixing the bugs that were there in launch.
2142 has this glitch where you can drop a mobile spawn point on the enemy titan and it couldn't be destroyed..so no more battlefield (or DICE) products on my PC anymore.

I find that glitch in 2142 is kind of a pain, but not a game breaker. There is a 1.51, Beta 2 patch out for 2142 right now that includes 4 new maps and Northern Strike. Its annoying difficult to find servers in North America, EA or DICE should host a few.

60. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting "Special Effort" Jan 4, 2011, 17:18 xXBatmanXx

Maybe we are thinking about this the wrong way.....maybe by "Special Effort" they are talking short bus....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

59. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 4, 2011, 09:41 Verno

Special effort? If BC2 is any indication then...

- One game server provider
- No map editor
- No SDK
- 32 players
- "DLC" that is included in your game install
- Incredibly limited peripheral support
- Nerfed flight controls

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

58. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 4, 2011, 09:19 space captain

"it will not be exclusive. We are putting special effort into the pc version, even for us, it's extraordinary."

so that is what, a server browser?

AWESOME

Go forth, and kill!

57. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting "Special Effort" Jan 4, 2011, 08:25 zirik

special effort that keeps on giving is a dedicated game server bug that crashes every other round. oh and its still not fixed in bf2142 titan mode maps with 64 players.  

56. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 4, 2011, 07:38 Nighthawk

I reinstalled BF2 and 2142 in November and still enjoyed them, but what amazed me was the lack of a "special effort" in fixing the bugs that were there in launch.
2142 has this glitch where you can drop a mobile spawn point on the enemy titan and it couldn't be destroyed..so no more battlefield (or DICE) products on my PC anymore.

55. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 4, 2011, 00:22 Wildone

No joystick support, but will work if you plug in a gamepad.  

54. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting "Special Effort" Jan 3, 2011, 23:24 Creston

Special Effort(tm) includes:

- Mouse and keyboard support.
- Game will actually install on PCs. (*)
- DRM!

Rolleyes

(*) Not guaranteed to work on all, some or even any PC configurations.

Creston

53. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting "Special Effort" Jan 3, 2011, 19:07 Innocent

i haven't played a battlefield game i haven't loved in years. (except for 2142, that was hard to love.)
the latest, BF2BC2 is easily the best bf game i've played, and vietnam has rejuvenated it hugely for me. lookin forward to a BF3, even if it means leaving my beloved XP behind.

but even a raging BF fanboy like me knows that dice remarks like "special effort" are bullshit. consoles are king, we are filthy red headed stepchildren taking up an unearned place at the family dining table.

52. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 18:59 xXBatmanXx

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 18:09:
However, I don't mind if a friend is watching a DVD rather than a bluray, because I'm not going to a friends house in general because of the movie, its because of the friend

I agree, although personally....if that friend doesn't have a vajayjay - I sure as shit ain't going over to dude's house just to watch a damn movie!!!!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

51. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 18:18 The One

Actually, the level of dumbness you are achieving now is a result of the Ovarian Lottery Pool that you were unfortunate enough to be a part of...blame it on yer Ma n Pa, U might have to wait till they come back from shootin squirrels, and scrapin possum off the road....  

50. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 18:10 Jerykk

And just in case you didn't know....most PC monitors today,...are just
little HDTVs,...hence why it is near impossible to find a 1920x1200 model.It all now rolls off the same lines.

Possibly, but I've seen a lot of HDTVs have poor picture quality even though they're technically HD. Monitors seem to be held to a higher standard of quality, probably because they see a lot more use, are viewed at much closer range and need to provide a picture that makes it easy to read small text.

49. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 18:09 Dev

Mcboinkens wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 14:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 14:32:

To me the differences between playing a game on the PC vs console are about the same as DVD vs BluRay.

That's a pretty huge difference. BluRays are much higher resolution than DVDs and it really is an obvious difference.

Actually the difference really isn't that obvious unless you compare side by side. If I brought a Bluray/DVD combo to a friend's house and he told me he only had a DVD player, I really wouldn't mind.

Win-win situation for me!
Not obvious to YOU perhaps. To me, its quite obvious if I can see the pores in a guys face in a closeup, or if its a blur
However, I don't mind if a friend is watching a DVD rather than a bluray, because I'm not going to a friends house in general because of the movie, its because of the friend

On consoles, a lot of them play tricks to get HD resolutions anyway, so for an accurate comparison between SD and HD the only way to go is bluray vs a dvd.

48. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting "Special Effort" Jan 3, 2011, 18:01 Verno

He goes with consoles mostly because he can buy the games used and resell them, he's not exactly subtle about it either. He has his faults like the rest of us but he wears his agenda on his sleeve at least.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

47. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 17:48 necrosis

Tumbler

Going by your example all you care about is graphics? No wonder you go with consoles.

Graphics do not mean shit. Its all about control. Which PC is much better at especially for FPS games.

Oh and FYI. Console games have DRM too. So I'm not sure what your bitching about there.

46. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 17:34 Jackplug

All that I want, is that there is no prone..  

45. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 16:53 neilmike

It's about time they should do something special for pc….lets hope for direct x11 support & mods.
i don’t think windows xp will be compatible but really who cares anyway since most of us use windows 7 64bits…
Windows 32bits operation is already within window7 64bits package so people shouldn’t rely on dated windows xp…time to move on

44. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 16:45 Zardoz5

We are putting special effort into the pc version, even for us, it's extraordinary.

I wonder if he means post 2142 extraordinary, like with BF Heroes, Play 4 Free and BC2. The games that were PC exclusives before Heroes were all pretty good in their own right and took full advantage of the PC platform. It would be great if BF3 did this but because of its shared console DNA I'm pretty skeptical this will be the case.

43. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 3, 2011, 16:35 badasscat

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 15:11:
Actually the difference really isn't that obvious unless you compare side by side.

I mostly watch movies on my monitor which has much higher fidelity than most TVs. As such, the differences between SD and HD video are painfully obvious.

Even if you use a 2560x1600,.....your still only looking at 1080p resolution.

And just in case you didn't know....most PC monitors today,...are just
little HDTVs,...hence why it is near impossible to find a 1920x1200 model.It all now rolls off the same lines.

So unless your using 30" ten grand,multimedia 2k res monitor...it's not any better than a HDTV....pixel pitch wise or even response time wise.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo