Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Vaporware 2010

Wired.com's Vaporware 2010 is online with the 14th installment in their annual series calling out overdue tech projects. Since they have the Duke Nukem Forever to kick around again, they again "honor" the shooter four months to the day after it was reannounced, a decade after it first made their list, and six years after it earned their "Lifetime Achievement Award." Other games they list include L.A. Noire and our choice for #1, Half Life 2: Episode 3. They also once again pick on Black Mesa, as they seem to think singling out this in-development modification from a team of volunteers as vaporware is fair play, though we would disagree.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 4, 2011, 01:02 Creston

Kind of fun to see Ep3 in there, though it shouldn't be listed higher than DNF, which, after all, still isn't out.

I'd never even HEARD of LA Noire. Ugh. And I call myself a Rockstar fan... Shame

Shouldn't Elite 4 be on this list? When was it again that Braben first announced he was working on it? 1953?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 20:07 Jerykk

I think it was more than just 3. The Orange Box included:

- Half-Life 2
- Half-Life 2: Episode 1
- Half-Life 2: Episode 2
- Team Fortress 2
- Portal
- Counter-Strike?

I think it included CS, as I never purchased a standalone copy yet I have it in my list of Steam games. In any case, Orange Box was a fantastic deal, especially if you didn't already own HL2.

25. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 18:49 Sepharo

avianflu wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 14:23:
Hard to care about the HL2 episodes at this point. Uneven, short, recycled and cost far too much at release. Shame though.

Oh yeah I forgot about how hard we got raped on that Episode 2. Fuck that was annoying only getting 3 excellent games for the price of one.

24. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 18:12 Jerykk

The vehicle segments in HL2 were the worst part. If they had been significantly shorter, they would have been fine but they dragged on for way too long. The rest of the level design was great however. I especially liked Episode 2, as the designers seemed to learn from the mistakes they made in HL2 and episode 1.  

23. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 18:04 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 15:48:
Here's something I never thought I'd utter though: I'm kind of wary of Half Life. In the amount of time since I've played one of the games my tastes have changed. My memories from HL2 (which I should replay) are less of sheer joy and more of the kind of crappy combat feel, the overload of zombies and the turn to maybe too deep scifi for my tastes.
I find myself more excited for Crysis 2. Which shocks me.

Prove me wrong, Valve.

For me HL2 blew when it came to the boat levels. I had a computer that could run HL2 fine when it shipped, but it took somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 minutes or so to load a level up since the source engine needed I believe a minimum of 2 gigs of memory to avoid that problem.

The boat section went on *forever*, and there were literally places where you'd get 90 seconds of gameplay followed by a 4 minute "loading" screen.

Horrible, horrible level design. Then they did it again with the dune buggy, which was slightly more enjoyable than the boat, but not by much.

And that was about 1/3 or so of the game right there. It was bad enough that I quit halfway through HL2 and didn't come back until I built a new computer a couple years later.

22. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 17:42 wtf_man

If they STOPPED going for a release, because valve wanted to bundle it with their EP 3 release, that would just piss me off all the more.

/shrug

21. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 16:59 McSterls

Black Mesa was very near done then it vanished. Methinks Valve is preparing to bundle it with it's next "Box', or at the very least, release it as a paid-for mod, a la Garry's Mod.

That would be my guess too. In the box with Episode 3, but still a free mod. Didn't Valve say they had three big surprises coming before the end of 2010. I think they only announced 1 of the three.

20. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 16:16 Prez

Black Mesa was very near done then it vanished. Methinks Valve is preparing to bundle it with it's next "Box', or at the very least, release it as a paid-for mod, a la Garry's Mod.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 15:50 Beamer

And LA Noir was announced over 6 years ago and is over 3 years past its initially announced release date, with extremely little information letting us know it's even close.

I'd say it's 100% deserving of the vapor title right now.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 15:48 Beamer

Hard to care about the HL2 episodes at this point. Uneven, short, recycled and cost far too much at release. Shame though.

I thought E2 was better than HL2. E1, though, struck me as more annoying than fun.

Here's something I never thought I'd utter though: I'm kind of wary of Half Life. In the amount of time since I've played one of the games my tastes have changed. My memories from HL2 (which I should replay) are less of sheer joy and more of the kind of crappy combat feel, the overload of zombies and the turn to maybe too deep scifi for my tastes.
I find myself more excited for Crysis 2. Which shocks me.

Prove me wrong, Valve.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Black Mesa Jan 3, 2011, 15:02 xXBatmanXx

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 11:29:
Do DNF and LA Noire really qualify as vaporware? After all, both games proved that they were indeed in development this year and DNF was even publically playable at PAX.

Episode 3 qualifies because there was absolutely no information released about it whatsoever.

Exactly my thoughts when I saw the list.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 14:23 avianflu

15. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 13:48 wtf_man

McSterls wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 13:30:
as recently as last week there was an article on the upcoming release in Europe that says don't expect it before May 2011.

The Google Translation says:
On the official fan site has now Voice-Actor and member of development teams Victoria CatzEyes93 "to the development of Black Mesa - Half-Life commented, explaining that a publication is within the next two months are very unlikely. This means that Black Mesa - Half-Life is not until March of next year comes on the market.

"Unlikely to be published within the next 2 and a half months"... doesn't really make "May" a target for release. It just means that they are so far from being done... that another 2.5 months isn't even feasible.

14. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 13:30 McSterls

I'm tired of waiting for Black Mesa myself, but I don't think it's vaporware, I think it's very close and there was Black Mesa news in August 2010, the developers were showing finished levels.

AtomicPC [url=http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spieleradar.de%2FPC%2Fspiele%2Fnews%2Fblack-mesa-half-life%2F6_17170_13790%2Frelease-nicht-vor-maerz-2011.html&act=url[/url]

as recently as last week there was an article on the upcoming release in Europe that says don't expect it before March 2011.

Spieleradar [url=http://www.spieleradar.de/PC/spiele/news/black-mesa-half-life/6_17170_13790/release-nicht-vor-maerz-2011.html[/url]

I don't think it's Vaporware, its probably a long and tedious process that these guys are sick of working on.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2011, 13:50.

13. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 12:45 TangledThorns

Black Mesa is pure vaporware, more so than DNF.  

12. Re: Black Mesa Jan 3, 2011, 12:30 PHJF

LA Noire is vaporware? I didn't know it existed until a couple months ago. Hmmm.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Black Mesa Jan 3, 2011, 12:17 wtf_man

pacbowl wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 12:09:
Well they did set the bar pretty high in claiming to completely re-do the original HL with the source engine. (and I don't mean the HL port into source from Valve)

I've been chomping at the bit for this one to come out too.

That, and I just thought of another thing... Isn't that how GearBox started? Making a bunch of mods, then actual expansions for Half-Life?

It seems to me, that if that's what the folks at the Black Mesa were trying to achieve (Breaking into the games industry), then they need to actually produce something... ya know?

10. Re: Black Mesa Jan 3, 2011, 12:09 pacbowl

Blue wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 10:31:
wtf_man wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 10:29:
Volunteers or not... a Vapor reward is warranted, in this case, and IMO.
What did one mod team do to earn the scorn of a major tech publication?

Well they did set the bar pretty high in claiming to completely re-do the original HL with the source engine. (and I don't mean the HL port into source from Valve)

I've been chomping at the bit for this one to come out too.

9. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 11:59 nin

Have to agree, Wired is something I have not had on my favorites for some time. They have been surpassed by better sites with better stories.

When their idea of a cover is a close up of two breasts, it just seems like a cry for attention, or a lame attempt as sales.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Vaporware 2010 Jan 3, 2011, 11:51 Ozmodan

Have to agree, Wired is something I have not had on my favorites for some time. They have been surpassed by better sites with better stories.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo