Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Safety Dance

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 2, 2011, 21:50 mag

jimnms wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 20:54:
zirik wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 17:02:
how about disabling the acrobat plugin on your web browser? you can also set the browser to ask before opening or downloading a PDF file.

That's what I've always done, not just for safety, but I don't like PDF files loading in my browser window. I also use Foxit reader since the Adobe reader got fat. Now Foxit is getting a little chubby. I downloaded a few lighter PDF readers a while back, but never got around to installing them. One is called Cool PDF Reader, and there was another one that I can't seem to remember the name or find right now.

Evince and PDF-XChange are pretty good replacements. I'm partial to Evince since it's what I've been using in Linux for a while, but PDF-XChange is quite speedy, I think.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 2, 2011, 20:54 jimnms

zirik wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 17:02:
how about disabling the acrobat plugin on your web browser? you can also set the browser to ask before opening or downloading a PDF file.

That's what I've always done, not just for safety, but I don't like PDF files loading in my browser window. I also use Foxit reader since the Adobe reader got fat. Now Foxit is getting a little chubby. I downloaded a few lighter PDF readers a while back, but never got around to installing them. One is called Cool PDF Reader, and there was another one that I can't seem to remember the name or find right now.

Steam Profile

3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 2, 2011, 17:02 zirik

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 15:59:
Would be nice if the article gave some preventative measures or some type of a solution instead of only stating the problem exists.

2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 2, 2011, 16:24 Sepharo

With foxit mine don't automatically open. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. I just delete them later. I think it's fine if they're not executed.  

1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 2, 2011, 15:59 JohnBirshire

I knew this was a problem for quite some time, as I noticed more and more that when visiting malicious websites my Adobe is often suddenly opened automatically and starts loading a document. This article kind of drove home that point, really need to stop Adobe from doing that, I imagine probably able to in the options menu somewhere.

Would be nice if the article gave some preventative measures or some type of a solution instead of only stating the problem exists.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo