Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM Relaxed?

A story on Reddit offers screenshots demonstrating Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction being played in offline mode, leading to the conclusion that Ubisoft has made changes to their draconian DRM scheme, which previously required a constant internet connection to play Ubi's games. They say players still must be online in order to begin games, but apparently are no longer required to stay online after launch and authentication. Thanks Joao via PC Gamer.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Feb 4, 2011, 05:09 Arithon

On Tuesday night (the day after buying the game) I could not play Assasin's Creed 2, not because my internet connection was down but because Ubi.com was totally offline!!!!

Surely this breaks the contract of sale, as the only caviat for the game to work is that *the purchaser* has a working internet connection. Failure on the distrubutors part should entitle me to a refund or DRM removal?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 6, 2011, 21:24 shponglefan

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 01:40:
Companies seem to be under the impression DRM still stops "casual piracy." Lending the game to a friend, copying the disc for people at work, whatever.

Companies also have to appease naive investors.

57. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 3, 2011, 13:00 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 01:40:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 23:26:
It would make much more sense to remove the DRM once a fully-functional crack has been released on the net. Once the crack is out, there's absolutely no reason to keep the DRM.

Companies seem to be under the impression DRM still stops "casual piracy." Lending the game to a friend, copying the disc for people at work, whatever.

Personally I think whether that is true or not is pretty irrelevant considering what a small percentage of people that must be.

Too true. Torrents ARE casual piracy these days. Anybody can download a cracked game off the web with ease. Hell, it's even less effort than copying a disc from a friend.

56. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 3, 2011, 01:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 23:26:
It would make much more sense to remove the DRM once a fully-functional crack has been released on the net. Once the crack is out, there's absolutely no reason to keep the DRM.

Personally I think whether that is true or not is pretty irrelevant considering what a small percentage of people that must be.

55. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 2, 2011, 23:26 Jerykk

as has been done before with game DRM, some (but not all) companies remove the DRM in a later patch after the game has been out for a year or 2. Often with little fanfare.

Of course, this would mean that the vast majority of games would have their DRM removed on the day of release.

If all publishers guaranteed that they would remove the DRM completely after a reasonable amount of time (like a month), I wouldn't have any issues with limited installs, online activations, etc.

54. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 2, 2011, 23:00 StingingVelvet

Icewind wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 22:56:
That's why I laugh when people say Steam is unfair or restrictive (Some foolish people do, believe it or not). Their system is so easy to bend and manipulate it's basically like it doesn't even exist.

You still need internet to install. You still can't sell or give away a game after tying it to your account. You still can't run the game without the annoying (to some people) client.

To some it is restrictive, to others not... people are different.

53. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 2, 2011, 22:25 avianflu

as has been done before with game DRM, some (but not all) companies remove the DRM in a later patch after the game has been out for a year or 2. Often with little fanfare.

At that point it is budgetware as far as the retail market is concerned.

52. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 2, 2011, 04:28 Armengar

KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 1, 2011, 02:14:
Silent Hunter 5 was on sale on steam for liek few bucks but ubi drm stopped me from even shelling out few bucks, there was another game I forgot the name that used same drm, no sale here again.

exactly. I passed on this, AC2 and settlers 7 all because of the DRM. I picked up BC2 and vietnam instead (and operation flashpoint AND arma2 - phew! thats my next few months sorted)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

51. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 20:14 gilly775

WyldKat wrote on Jan 1, 2011, 04:34:
Silent Hunter 5 was on sale on steam for liek few bucks but ubi drm stopped me from even shelling out few bucks, there was another game I forgot the name that used same drm, no sale here again.

Same. It's a pity too, I liked SH3 and it looked like a good game.

Nah, like SH4, SH5 was buggy. I'd wait anyway. The community is fixing the game.

50. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 14:35 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Jan 1, 2011, 13:05:
I wonder if relaxing this drm has a lot to do with the cost of supporting this thing? A constant connection drm system for a game lime ac2 would cost a shit load and people would expect it to work 24/7/365 which would likely push the costs up even higher. And I dought they factored that into the business model. You almost have all the risks of an mmo without anyone paying a subscription fee. If that service stops working everyone is fucked, if you let that happen then who is going to buy the next version?
They had a lot of outages when they released the various games, like AC2, settlers 7, silent hill 5. In each case on release, they didn't expect the server load and the servers were going up and down. ubi muttered about it being a ddos, yeah it was... of more legit customers than they planned for trying to use their games. You'd think they'd notice it on the games they release and plan for it on the next game, but they didn't. It was funny in a sick sorta way to see how a bunch of the people who actually paid for the games couldn't use them because ubi's servers were overloaded with others trying to play the games.

49. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 13:28 Nere

Cutter wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 23:00:
Well, it's a step in the right direction and we knew it had to happen. Still, not far enough. I don't mind registering it online, but that's it. If I've registered the game, you know I've paid for it, that's then end of our relationship beyond any patching or what not. You don't need to constantly know when I'm playing it and how long for. If you want to datamine me for metrics and marketing you can bloody well pay me for it instead.

Well said. I have no interest in providing market research. I don't like the idea of someone basically recording everything I do in a game. I didn't even know they did that. I didn't think it was possible, but I actually hate Ubi even more.

48. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 13:05 Tumbler

I wonder if relaxing this drm has a lot to do with the cost of supporting this thing? A constant connection drm system for a game lime ac2 would cost a shit load and people would expect it to work 24/7/365 which would likely push the costs up even higher. And I dought they factored that into the business model. You almost have all the risks of an mmo without anyone paying a subscription fee. If that service stops working everyone is fucked, if you let that happen then who is going to buy the next version?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

47. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 12:43 wtf_man

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Jan 1, 2011, 04:34:
I don't think that's correct. I went with the "buy legit copy and leave it unopened in favor of warez" technique for AC2 and I remember it taking quite awhile to find a completely working crack...

Why the fuck would you support these assholes in the first place?

You had to play the game that badly?

If everyone would exercise some self control and not buy Ubi games until they dump this crap... maybe they would actually, you know, dump this crap.

Oh well... it will never happen.

46. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 07:32 Ashley

Gee, Dev, I actually get that idea from the work that I do for a living.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2011, 07:43.

45. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 04:47 Mostly_Harmless

I passed on SH too this week, along with Wings of Prey in the Steam sale that also had horrible restrictive DRM. Even when games are heavily discounted I still refuse to support this crap by paying for it.

I may pick up Far Cry 2 today though, I originally left it on the shelf because of the securom limited activation crap but the Steam version has it removed now (despite what it says on the store page).

44. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 04:42 Dev

Goomich wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 21:15:
Dev wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 19:42:
Besides, have you known any company to to globally track all gameplay decisions? For instance with the whole steam cloud thing, companies (valve or other) COULD watch the saves and progress to improve the games... don't think anyone actually has.

Bioware

Thanks for the link, thats actually a cool way to do stat tracking and decision point aggregate data monitoring. Although they don't really mention much about using the data to do much of anything with the game... besides tweaking difficulty in the ps3 version. One thing I did find interesting was that it looks like PC players replay through ME2 more than xbox ones. Also that only 50% of people finished the game.

43. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 04:34 WyldKat

Same. It's a pity too, I liked SH3 and it looked like a good game.

42. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 04:34 Dr. D. Schreber

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 23:44:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 14:25:
Funny thing is, the DRM actually did prevent Zero Day Piracy; what was it, four months before AC2 was cracked?
No about 3 weeks. Maybe a bit longer, but it was shorter then it took to break starforce which was about 3 months, and once it was broken it took about 3 days for starforce released titles to be broken. Ubisoft stuff is now 0 day.

But I'll add with others 'will not buy until drm is bye-bye'.

I don't think that's correct. I went with the "buy legit copy and leave it unopened in favor of warez" technique for AC2 and I remember it taking quite awhile to find a completely working crack. I think it was technically cracked early on but it took a long time for them to actually finish the server emulator so it mimicked every single handshake in the game, without which you have missing content. I swear I can remember it being talked about early on when the emulator didn't even have enough to let you play through all the story missions, let alone side activities, for quite a while.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

41. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 02:21 Overon

There hasn't been a ubisoft game that I felt compelled to play in a while.  

40. Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 02:14 KilrathiAce

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo