Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Changes and Plans

Battle.net catches us up on the hotfixes implemented in World of Warcraft between December 22 and December 27, as Blizzard continues to tweak their MMORPG following the launch of the Cataclysm expansion (thanks Ant). They also offer an article on upcoming class changes where lead systems designer Greg “Ghostcrawler” Street outlines plans for the next patch for the game, which will institute some class changes. He says they are still "in the preliminary stages," so the patch isn't coming out especially soon, and while many specifics are mentioned, he adds that: "Just because your class or pet problem isn’t mentioned below doesn’t mean we won’t address it." Greg discusses PvE and PvP changes, Blizzard's goal of making "stats that aren't attractive (but are supposed to be) more attractive," and offers a preliminary list of class-specific changes, stressing that this is not final or complete. This list follows.

• Even after we fixed their mastery, Feral druid bleeds still do a lot of damage and are undispellable. We plan to shift some of that damage back to main attacks. They are also a little too hard to control. Given that they are already hard to root, snare, or polymorph, we think the fear immunity from Berserk is too much.
  • Arms warrior burst damage might still be too high in PvP, while we don’t have a great way to adjust their sustained damage for PvE. The Lambs to the Slaughter talent is a good place to address this. We also might nerf warrior stuns.
  • We think Arms and Fury warriors are getting too much damage out of Heroic Strike. We want it to be clear that it’s a rage dump and not make it the hardest hitting ability.
  • For Holy priests, we’re increasing Chakra’s duration and changing Surge of Light so it can now from Flash Heal and Greater Heal and can crit.
  • We’re making some additional buffs, such as Pain Suppression and Barkskin, undispellable.
  • We’re buffing Wild Mushroom. It’s a cool spell that isn’t getting enough play.
  • Empowered Touch will now benefit from Regrowth as well. We’re also buffing the Glyph of Regrowth.
  • We are looking at Holy Concentration (after our most recent buff) and Omen of Clarity to make sure they don’t account for too much mana savings.
  • We are probably going to remove Drain Mana from warlocks. It is incredibly situational in PvE but causes problems in PvP. This might mean we need to evaluate Mana Burn as well.
  • Inferno will no longer increase the radius of Hellfire.
  • Shadow and Flame can now proc from Incinerate in addition to Shadow Bolt.
  • We want to redesign Improved Soulfire.
  • Censure will no longer break Repentance.
  • As part of the Marks and Beastmaster buffs, we’re buffing Aimed Shot, Kill Shot, Chimera Shot, and Kill Command.
  • To reduce mage control, we are discussing reducing the duration of Frost Nova and Ring of Frost.
  • We want to make it clear that Combat is intended to use fast off-hand weapons. We also want to polish Revealing Strike a bit.
  • We want to make sure Enhancement shaman avoid caster weapons.
  • We want to make sure Unholy DKs prefer two-handed weapons.
  • Necrotic Strike needs to be affected by resilience.
  • For Cataclysm, we changed Death Strike almost completely into an ability for Blood DK tanks, which is a bit unfortunate. We want to make sure it is still a useful button for Frost or Unholy DKs who need healing.
  • We also want to address DK mobility in PvP.
  • We think we overnerfed Every Man for Himself, and are reverting it back to a 2-minute cooldown again. We might evaluate other racials after we’ve seen more PvP.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Jan 6, 2011, 10:24 Visa

you must play amage  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Jan 6, 2011, 10:23 Visa

this is nuts how many more nerfs to locks are they going to do before we are so bad that everyone stops laying them i am keeping hope that blizzard will fire the guy that plays a mage and loses to locks so he keeps buffing them while nerfing locks. and for the love of god fix tol barad already.  

21. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Jan 3, 2011, 13:06 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 29, 2010, 09:55:
Yaogun wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 14:09:
IMO they should make the abilities work differently for players than for mobs, or have a separate skill tree for PvP, and quit this charade of trying to balance two different game systems with the same skills. They just don't have it in them.

Yep. It's been clear for at least 4 years, if not longer, this is the proper and easy way to handle this. However, for reasons unknown, Blizzard seems to be deathly opposed to it. *shrug*

It's a complexity issue. The majority of the playerbase can barely deal with the abilities as they stand now, let alone if they served dual functions. Blizzard made the right decision there.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

20. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 29, 2010, 09:55 Mr. Tact

Yaogun wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 14:09:
IMO they should make the abilities work differently for players than for mobs, or have a separate skill tree for PvP, and quit this charade of trying to balance two different game systems with the same skills. They just don't have it in them.

Yep. It's been clear for at least 4 years, if not longer, this is the proper and easy way to handle this. However, for reasons unknown, Blizzard seems to be deathly opposed to it. *shrug*

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 20:52 heroin

I've always seen people whining about the balance of their class to be bullshit. Just two weeks ago I heard people whining about how OP hunters and warlocks were... now all of a sudden mages are OP - but everyone is nerfed, right? I just see a lot of needless whining.

Besides, IMO, if you take it that seriously... there's something wrong with you.

18. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 20:26 Muscular Beaver

I actually played my druid 3 years in a row. Looks like its coming to an end finally again...
Thanks Blizztard for fucking classes every now and then. But this time I wont reroll, this time I will quit, assholes.
Gotta love how they say druids are hard to root or slow. How about letting them go against a frost or arcane mage and see how "awesome" their shifting ability can help them when they are slowed and/or rooted again the second they are done powershifting.

People just whine while there is no way to accurately get a viewpoint of balance since everyone still has lots of crappy gear and PvE gear, while other cracks are almost fully arena equipped already...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

17. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 19:28 Wallshadows

So now after this is all said and done, I wonder where the FotM rollers will move to. I hear Frost Mage and the Mage class in general have been getting the royal treatment even since their T11 gear rolled out many months ago.

My guess would be play whatever Ghostcrawler likes and you'll do fine; inversely, play something he does not like and you'll become as bitter as a Paladin.

16. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 19:05 Kobalt

Fion wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 13:50:
Nerfing ferals again Why is it the only MMOG company who cant find balance for their classes is Blizzard? Every other MMOG the balance settles after the first year or two with slight balance changes after an xpack.

You mean blizzard is the only company that won't leave a class useless for years before they finally buff them(wanted to play a rogue in vanilla everquest? well I hope you enjoy being useless with not a single buff until the next expansion). I like the fact that wow is one of the few games I don't worry too much if my class sucks, theres a good chance within a year it will be made fun.

Not that I'm implying blizzard is perfect, after all most classes only had one decent spec in vanilla, and the fact that the "hybrids" only spec was healing was a travesty.

15. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 18:46 WyldKat

Blizzard has a nack for always nerfing the fun specs while rewarding the faceroll specs.

Thanks Blizzard for making Feral the laughing stock of WoW again. First it was your DK nerf, now this, now I never feel compelled to come back to your game!

14. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 17:24 Wallshadows

Bottom line is Blizzard should leave the whole "E-Sport" thing to Star Craft 2.

These are the same guys who pushed out Tol Barad in spite of constant criticism since Beta and released a 'band aid' hot fix which encourage trade-wins to reach the honor cap several times a day.

Blizzard and their whole PvP team/system leaves me highly dubious about their competence but what gets me is how it gets rolled out to live which usually boggles my mind.

13. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 17:22 Pigeon

PvP seemed like an after thought back in the vanilla days, but now it seems to be the driving force behind most class changes. When I look on the forums to see what people think about any given class or build invariably 90% of it is PvP. Unfortunately I think this is an unfair representation of the players as a whole, I suppose it depends on what kind of server you play on but most people do not seem to PvP on a regular/serious basis.

I'm not suggesting PvE should be considered above PvP, but like some suggested I think there'd be great benefit to both if PvP and PvE were seperate sets of skill trees. Kind of like how you can dual spec, you could get skill trees specifically for PvP.

With more emphasis on CCing and Interrupts in dungeons I think PvE would benefit from more options that might be deemed OP in a PvP situation.

I seem to remember guild wars had separate PvP and PvE modes so both could be optimized to their greatest potential.

12. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 17:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 14:10:
From a PvE point of view, fuck arena. I've always been an advocate that there should be two entirely separate trees which can only be used in Arena and PvE so that it stops 'balancing' it for both.
Arena's and PVP 'balancing' have always existed to piss on PVEer's. Mages are probably the most responsible for making it so. I remember well how it happened too. AP/PoM+double trinket+pyro. Dead, whatever you were targeting was cinder.

It just went downhill from there because people whined like crazy. I'm also for the whole two separate trees. At least then if they're nerfing something pvp side, it won't piss on people who do dungeons or raids.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 16:39 FloorPie

How nice, another PVP nerf that hurts PVE. So now as I bear or cat in PVE I have no fear break. Nevermind that hunters could "scare beast" druids in forms. No, a one fear break every 3 damn minutes (or is it 5 now) is like so totally OP. In arenas, which no one really plays anymore except serious hardcore pvp'ers. Have they fixed the eternal cat range bug yet? Nah.

I did enough PVP grinding to get my reputation title on a character in LK and no more than 10 hours total of BGs. Not once did I set foot in an arena match in LK. I didn't miss it and now that they've killed healing in pvp, have no real reason to try rated battleground.

10. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 16:21 Kxmode

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." - Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr, January 1849  

9. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 16:13 heroin

For me WoW has always felt the smoothest mechanically, nerfs included. No other game of this ilk has raids and instances that feel nearly as satisfying with a dynamic group. Definitely appreciate my new spells on my main - dark intent, improved curse of the elements and bane. Helps to feel like I'm setting up a battle.  

8. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 16:06 nin

But hey kids, it looks like Arcane Mages can still win via face-rolling their keyboards! Whew!

Actually no, we can't. That's why he says "Arcane, Marksman, and Beastmaster damage is too low. Retribution, Shadow, and Fire and Frost mage damage might be too low, but we’re still watching them. "

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 16:03 Xyggy

But hey kids, it looks like Arcane Mages can still win via face-rolling their keyboards! Whew!  

6. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 16:02 Frijoles

briktal wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 15:59:
Because every year or two they make massive changes and have to rebalance things.

Plus the last one was 1.5 months ago, and it was the largest since launch.

5. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 15:59 briktal

Fion wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 13:50:
Nerfing ferals again Why is it the only MMOG company who cant find balance for their classes is Blizzard? Every other MMOG the balance settles after the first year or two with slight balance changes after an xpack. But not blizzard, they have yet to balance the game six years on now and when some classes numbers are just a touch high they nerf the living daylights out of it.

Because every year or two they make massive changes and have to rebalance things.

4. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 15:33 ColoradoHoudini

I really wish they'd completely separate PvP and PvE somehow.. some way.
PvP ALWAYS seems to ruin it for PvE stuff.. ugh.
On a lighter note, I am not raiding any longer as of Cata, and I find myself both happy, and bored.

Now to take up Arch! ..haha

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo