Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

MMORPG.COM - Guild Wars 2 - The Fifth Profession.
ArenaNet Community Manager Martin Kerstein recently broke the silence on new Guild Wars 2 information over at Guild Wars 2 fansite GuildWars2Guru, teasing that ArenaNet plans to unveil the fifth profession for Guild Wars 2 in January. So, what will that fifth profession be? That's what we'll be talking about this week. I strongly believe the fifth profession to join the Guild Wars 2 roster will be the return of the Mesmer for a number of reasons.

TildeHash - Why Indie Games Need GNU+Linux. Thanks Ant.
Seven dollars and fourteen cents! We're willing to pay more than 107% more! More than double the price Windows users pay. And this was true for the first "Humble Indie Bundle" as well, the numbers were a little different though: Windows average was $8.05, Mac average was $10.18, GNU+Linux average was $14.52. So in the first "Humble Indie Bundle" everyone was willing to pay a little more, maybe because the games were more appealing, maybe because the games got "Open Sourced" once they made a million dollars, and maybe the current "Humble Indie Bundle" will see people paying more as it continues to run.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2010, 05:52 Shadowcat

Another (related) factor is that some of these games are newly available to Linux as of this bundle. For example, "Braid" got a lot of publicity around its original release (and deservedly so), so any Windows gamer who wanted to play Braid would very likely have already bought it, and therefore not include much (if any) money for that game in their HIB purchase price.

Admittedly I don't know if this would have been a big factor, but it most certainly would have been a factor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 18:07 eRe4s3r

Exactly - TildeHash does the typical flawed logical nonsense that non-journalists always fall for.

The reason linux users pay more is because they are not saturated by the 10k different games that windows users have access to (and with the advent of steam sales, constantly "see" as well).

The average price also tells us nothing AT ALL.

2/3rd of the entire income is from Windows - and only 1/6th from LINUX.

This means windows users still paid more than linux and mac users combined.

9. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 16:05 PHJF

Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 12:51:
Esoteric wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 11:38:
I think I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 more than any other game at this point, including Diablo III.

I really hope GW2 delivers and isn't just so much talk as we've heard too many times before. This genre really needs a true next-gen MMO to take it forward. However, nothing tops Diablo 3 for me. I'd stab someone with an icepick for it!

Well I'd tear my arm off, fashion a crude dagger out of a bone therein, and stab somebody with that for Diablo III.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 15:17 killer_roach

On the indie/GNU article, yes, Linux gamers are paying more for indie games than Windows or Mac users... but this seems to be a function of the presence of quality game alternatives on each operating system. Simply put, there aren't as many gaming options on Linux as Mac, and not as many on Mac as Windows. As a result, the perceived value of quality games is pretty clearly higher on Linux than on any other platform. The bigger question is whether or not you can get enough Linux gamers out there to make the increased cost of porting to and supporting another platform worth the additional captured revenue (and, apparently, higher revenue at the margins) from the Linux/GNU market.  

7. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 13:24 briktal

nin wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 12:07:
The biggest and most important difference is GW2’s Marketplace supports postings from both buyers and sellers. You might put your sword up for sale, then offer 100 gold for the specific axe you’re looking for without having to find any specific seller.

Some of us in the guild I'm in were just saying WOW needs something like that, the other day. Like a contract based system, where I say I need X numbers of stacks of Y, and will pay Z, and then someone else can fulfill the contract.

Placing orders to buy stuff is one of the most important parts of EVE.

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 12:56 nin

However, nothing tops Diablo 3 for me. I'd stab someone with an icepick for it!

I'm very much looking forward to D3, but also cautiously optimistic. I've avoided most videos/descriptions since I figure most of it could/will change before it ships.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 12:51 Cutter

Esoteric wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 11:38:
I think I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 more than any other game at this point, including Diablo III.

I really hope GW2 delivers and isn't just so much talk as we've heard too many times before. This genre really needs a true next-gen MMO to take it forward. However, nothing tops Diablo 3 for me. I'd stab someone with an icepick for it!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 12:07 nin

The biggest and most important difference is GW2’s Marketplace supports postings from both buyers and sellers. You might put your sword up for sale, then offer 100 gold for the specific axe you’re looking for without having to find any specific seller.

Some of us in the guild I'm in were just saying WOW needs something like that, the other day. Like a contract based system, where I say I need X numbers of stacks of Y, and will pay Z, and then someone else can fulfill the contract.

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 11:58 Esoteric

I'm not sure if it's in yet, but I did find this:

Curtis Johnson – Game Designer: Guild Wars 2 includes a full Marketplace for players, which will differ from the usual MMO auction house in a number of ways. The biggest and most important difference is GW2’s Marketplace supports postings from both buyers and sellers. You might put your sword up for sale, then offer 100 gold for the specific axe you’re looking for without having to find any specific seller. The market can display the history of average value and trends for an item, making it easy to determine a fair value for your goods. It might be worth waiting to sell your item, depending if the price is rising or falling.

Items you put up for sale may sell while you’re offline, and the funds will be deposited in your account bank. You must be in game to put a new item up for sale, but you will be able to browse the market, bid from your account bank, or cancel your own auctions and offers while logged in to a web browser without running the game.

2. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 11:41 nin

Do they have an auction house yet?

1. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 11:38 Esoteric

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo