Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2010, 12:01 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, it's a good game that just suffers from some lack of polish. I never ran into anything game-breaking either, and I've played through it three times. Definitely worth buying on sale.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Blizzard in the Northeast US Dec 26, 2010, 11:59 Dan =0)

...and I'm not referring to the company that is/was responsible for WarCraft, StarCraft, World of WarCraft, etc...

Hope the snow's not pounding too hard where you are, Blue... and if it is, I hope I can safely say for all of us here that you're keeping yourself safe and warm. I visited my godparents and their family yesterday afternoon, but it was a -very- brief meeting as the daughter and her boyfriend had to hurry back to NY before the storm hit...

So, if this causes any delay in site updates, we'll understand.

Dan =0)

P.S. Running Garry's Mod on a Dell Inspiron 5150 actually isn't terrible... but boy is the system hot as heck. (And I knew fully well when I picked it up from a friend what issues it would have. But, it works...)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2010, 09:01 xXBatmanXx

I don't understand what all the hubbub is - the game is a lot of fun. I hasn't been following it like you guys have, so I guess all of that is not important to me.....

Would I have spent full retail? Nope. But glad it was on sale, cause I am enjoying a game I otherwise would not have - and I think they would rather I play their game than NOT.

I can't get the patch to work without breaking the game. I haven't run into anything that is a game stopper, so I am not going to worry about it for now. The only thing that really tweaks me is the mouse accelration....but I am getting used to it.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2010, 07:19 Ray Ban

The final "delay" was done by SEGA to avoid releasing it in a crowded time slot. No development/patching took place during that delay, since SEGA wouldn't spend more on it.

The AP that was released in June 2010 is the same game that was "delayed" in November 2009.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2010, 02:51 spindoctor

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 15:21:
Yeah it's Sega's fault the game was delayed an extra year so Obsidian couldn't 'finish' the game. Same with KOTOR 2 too right? 4 publishers and it's never Obsidian's fault.

I agree. Somehow people want to give Obsidian a pass when they have a track record of fucking up the execution of their games every single time. These same people will otherwise go batshit crazy if any other game has minor problems on day 1, or even problems that get fixed eventually (something that will not happen with Alpha Protocol). It's mind boggling hypocrisy in my opinion.

Acleacius wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 15:35:
First place, if you knew RPGs were the most complicated games to make and they often are the longest, 40+ hours in many cases. You might try using your leap logic here. How long would it take to fully test every possible outcome of a 40 hour game with 100s of different choices, which actually have an effect on other quests and even affect the physical world itself? Really, how long?

Except Alpha Protocol isn't 40 hours long. It's 15 hours long. And yes, I know that there are multiple paths in the game which means it's not quite the same as a 15 hour linear shooter. But still... the branching of paths and the choices/consequences is just about the only thing that's done very well in the game. The rest of the elements of the game are bland at best, and mediocre or just downright broken in most cases. And the implication that the state the game was released in is acceptable just because it would take too much effort to test it and get it right is is laughable.

Let's not forget that the game was originally supposed to release in February 2009. And it finally released in June 2010 after 2 significant delays. I wonder if the game executable would even run when Obsidian were supposed to deliver the finished product for the first time. Sega might not be the best publishers around, but you seriously cannot blame them for cutting their losses after Obsidian delayed it for a good 18 months or so.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2010, 00:46 JohnnyRotten

Happy Festivus everyone!!!  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 21:33 The Half Elf

Edited cause at the end of the day it's Christmas, and arguing is pointless.

BTW Aceleacius, any chance your Charles Mead Gameplay Programmer at Obsidian Entertainment? Your posts on Bluesnews seem to indicate your very familiar with Alpha Protocol's Development and some of the issues that were raised during it's development.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2010, 23:34.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 19:24 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 16:24:
I'd hold off untill DA comes down to $10 at least, Bats. Hell, personally I'd say $5. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. I actually loaded it up again and started to play though it again for all of about an hour before I got that meh feeling all over again and uninstalled it. I understand the expansion was recieved very luke-warmly as well. If you were gonna drop $25 on the DA complete edition, I'd get the Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga for $26 instead, but it may go on sale yet so it's worth waiting for a few more days! Honestly, you're really not missing much with DA. If we were neighbors I'd just give you my copy and not even want anything for it.

Copy that - exactly the response I was looking for. Thanks bud. I have plenty to play anyway!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 18:43 Nameless Again

Favorite non-traditional Christmas movie? Trading Places  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 18:39 Nameless Again

I've been watching DA:O religiously and this is the lowest price its been, at least on Steam. I finally jumped on it as I've been waiting for it to get to a reasonable price. So far I'm only $50 in the hole this Steam sale....doing pretty good if I don't say so myself.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 18:17 Hoop

Merry Christmas everyone.
We are now into boxing day Lunch here and guess what, our f^$#ing earthquakes have returned, 6-7 big hits since 2am, right on top of the city. Dizzy

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 17:59 Tainted

Merry Christmas all  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 17:16 Cutter

S'funny. As much as I loathe religion I love the old religious films. Watching TCM all day, Ben-Hur, King of Kings, etc. Lion of Winter is on at 8! Love that film, but I'm torn because A Man For All Seasons is on at 8 as well on another channel! Damn I need a PVR!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 16:24 Cutter

I'd hold off untill DA comes down to $10 at least, Bats. Hell, personally I'd say $5. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. I actually loaded it up again and started to play though it again for all of about an hour before I got that meh feeling all over again and uninstalled it. I understand the expansion was recieved very luke-warmly as well. If you were gonna drop $25 on the DA complete edition, I'd get the Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga for $26 instead, but it may go on sale yet so it's worth waiting for a few more days! Honestly, you're really not missing much with DA. If we were neighbors I'd just give you my copy and not even want anything for it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Merry Christmas! Dec 25, 2010, 16:02 ^Drag0n^

To all my brethren at BluesNews, old and new, Have a Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy (and safe) New Year!

~Noctro~

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 15:57 Capella

Happy Holidays everyone!  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 15:52 PHJF

Happy holidays...

... is what terrorists say.

Merry Christmas!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 15:35 Acleacius

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 15:21:
Yeah it's Sega's fault the game was delayed an extra year so Obsidian couldn't 'finish' the game. Same with KOTOR 2 too right? 4 publishers and it's never Obsidian's fault.
Someone hasn't had his morning coffee, that's quite a leap of logic.

First place, if you knew RPGs were the most complicated games to make and they often are the longest, 40+ hours in many cases. You might try using your leap logic here. How long would it take to fully test every possible outcome of a 40 hour game with 100s of different choices, which actually have an effect on other quests and even affect the physical world itself? Really, how long?

While your ciphering, why don't you let us know how long it actually takes to complete a game like Obsidian's bug free. Then tell us how much time sega game them to complete.

Oh you know what would be fun too, if you cipher us up the numbers on those other games you listed to.....we wait in anticipation...well I do anyway! Devilish

Edit: grammarz

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2010, 15:45.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 15:21 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2010, 15:02 Acleacius

Everyone stay safe and warm! Cheers

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 13:18:
What is your favorite NON-traditional Christmas Movie.
Bad Santa

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 14:20:

Having a blast with Alpha Protocol......
Damn amazing game! Too bad sega couldn't afford to let them finish the game and had to rush it out.

You didn't say how much or which service Dragon Age was on. It's 60+ hours of game play and don't forget amazing mods at Nexus Top 100 list

Btw damn that's a lot of red!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo