Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bulletstorm Using GFWL [Updated]

The pack shot for the upcoming PC edition of Bulletstorm GameStop Website is adorned with the Games for Windows LIVE logo. While nothing has been officially announced about how online support for the upcoming shooter from Epic's People Can Fly studio will be handled, this clearly suggests the game will use Microsoft's service. Thanks BeyondUnreal. Update: Big Download confirms the game will indeed use GFWL.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 24, 2010, 01:18 Jerykk

I prefer GFWL in my single player games because I prefer their achievements. Call me nuts.

You're nuts. Achievements are utterly worthless and do not justify the hassles that GfWL introduces.

In addition, why would you buy Bulletstorm for 360? The PC version will look, run and control better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 22:43 Dev

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 13:47:
Actually Creston, you do get Xbox Achievements through the GFWL version of Batman, so that is something :P. I login using my Hotmail/Live UN/PW so I don't know what you are using to login with?

You mean those achievements that I have spread across 3 LIVE accounts because MS can't be bothered to let me join them? As far as I can tell, the only way to ever get a single account is if you:
Created an offline xbox 360 account first. Made that account into an online account. Then use that account for GFWL.

Whereas when I created a GFWL account years ago for PC gaming, I didn't have an xbox 360. Then when I got an xbox 360 I created an offline account. Then (not knowing you only get a single chance to join the xbox accounts and wanting a different user name) I made an online account. Turns out I cant ever merge the offline and online now. And of course I can't merge the PC one either. So every time I play a game on xbox or PC I have to re-earn everything.

In summary, GFWL achivements only happen if you jump through a bunch of hoops in a MS dictated order, ones that they don't tell you about before hand, or really at all.

BTW, this is the LEAST of the reasons why I hate GFWL. Its prevented me from playing games I've paid for before. Its frozen my computer tons of times. And caused me lots of trouble getting it to work.

20. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL [Updated] Dec 23, 2010, 21:19 KilrathiAce

gfwl is a bad choice, it sucks.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

19. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL [Updated] Dec 23, 2010, 20:45 Vektuz

GFWL more like AWFUL

I'm never buying a GFWL game again.

18. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 19:37 Golwar

Had the joy to use GFWL with Dawn of War 2. If Bulletstorm uses that, either I get it for the PS3 or ditch it.  

17. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 16:24 eRe4s3r

Well i only played 1 gfwl game and thats GTA IV - and that was enough to scare me away from GFWL MP for eternity (i am one of those that INSTANTLY installed xliveless once it was out - fixing a whole slew of bugs - and then finally the stupid social club nonsense "crack" that removed THAT cancer from the game.

But not every implementation is as bad as that. I am sure EA will not want to mess their "big releases 2011" up with broken GFWL implementation.

16. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 16:24 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 14:43:
I'm rather surprised, wouldn't this be the first EA published game to use Windows LIVE?

I can't imagine this game having that great of a multiplayer experience anyway.

Actually yeah now that you mention it, I can't think of any others. Nice catch.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

15. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 14:43 DangerDog

I'm rather surprised, wouldn't this be the first EA published game to use Windows LIVE?

I can't imagine this game having that great of a multiplayer experience anyway.

14. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 14:43 Hump

Its not nearly as bad as it was when Shadowrun came out but it still sucks to see it being used at all.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

13. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 14:23 Rattlehead

I'm not one to jump on the hate bandwagon when it comes to these types of issues, but I really cannot stand GFWL. It has caused me many, many problems, especially in Fallout 3. I had my eye on this game but now I will avoid it entirely. The fact that cracked versions of GFWL games causing less issues than the retail versions proves just how efficient GFWL isn't.  

12. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 14:20 JoeNapalm

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 13:47:
Actually Creston, you do get Xbox Achievements through the GFWL version of Batman, so that is something :P.

I don't want to speak for Creston, but as I share his annoyance with the GFMFWL in Arkham Asylum, allow me to respond:

Whoopde@#$%ing do.

Whoever coded that piece of crap needs their fingers broken so they stop writing software.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

11. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 13:47 Dirwulf

Actually Creston, you do get Xbox Achievements through the GFWL version of Batman, so that is something :P. I login using my Hotmail/Live UN/PW so I don't know what you are using to login with?  

10. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 13:29 necrosis

Well if this turns out to be true Bulletstorm will be scratched from my list.

After the Fallout 3 DLC fiasco I will never touch GFWL again.

9. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 13:26 Beamer

I prefer GFWL in my single player games because I prefer their achievements. Call me nuts. The only two games I've played with it were FlatOut UC (which I think was moderately enhanced) and BioShock 2 (which has FOV issues that have kept me from really playing much.)

Never played any multiplayer so I don't know the issues it involves, but given how often people complain here I'm thinking it must be huge.

In any case, I'm buying this one for the 360 so none of this matters to me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 13:25 Overon

GFWL has that beauty of online profiles and offline profiles. Lost save games, the files and you can't just copy your save games to the directory apparently and have gfwl recognize them (offline or online) as far as I know.  

7. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 11:37 Verno

I usually just crack GFWL games anyway unless there is a decent multiplayer component which the presence of GFWL usually negates in the first place.  

6. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 11:30 Creston

Well, scratch one title off my list. GfWL continues to aggravate the flying fuck out of me.

Was trying to play Batman Arkham Asylum yesterday. Wants to log into GfWL. I enter my GfWL credentials, and it says they're wrong. Erm... they're not wrong. I enter them into Dawn of War 2 and they work fine.

In Batman? Yeah, no. Can't find a way to get it to run into GfWL offline mode, can't find a way to just fucking kill the whole fucking piece of shit altogether, so for now, I can't save when I play Batman. And what does GfWL live actually ADD to Batman? Other than an irritating extra login screen? Oh, right, nothing.

This is just fucking AWESOME!!!!!, Microsoft. I'm so fucking glad you're so dedicated to PC Gaming.

Creston

5. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 11:25 Verno

Yeah I'm not ready to indict them based on a Gamestop product listing but I really hope it isn't true at the same time. The only GFWL game I've played where the client didn't hamper multiplayer was Dead Rising 2.  

4. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 11:01  Blue 

tony wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 10:45:
This flies in the face of http://www.guru3d.com/news/unreal-engine-3-now-with-valves-free-steamworks-tools/
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63966
http://www.1up.com/news/epic-integrates-steamworks-unreal-engine

That was reported here as well:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108291/unreal-engine-3-adds-steamworks-nvidia-support

But there's nothing there that says Unreal licencees *can't* use GFWL. This doesn't make this report true, as it's just based on that pack shot, but it doesn't automatically make it false either.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Bulletstorm Using GFWL? Dec 23, 2010, 10:46 vermin

hope so  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo