Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gamebryo Acquired

Korean company Gamebase announces the acquisition of the assets of Emergent Game Technologies, including the game engines Gamebryo and LightSpeed 3D. "The Gamebryo 3D engine has been a flexible, transparent, dependable solution for video game developers and publishers globally and has been used to develop hundreds of titles," said JY Park, president of Gamebase. "Our first goal is to focus on the companys roots - working closely with customers and providing excellent customer service. This is one of the key reasons why Gamebryo evolved into such a popular development engine." Here word on some of the many places you've seen this technology: "Best known for its industry-leading 3D game engines, Gamebryo and LightSpeed, Emergent's technologies have been selected by studios around the world to bring nearly 300 titles across more than 15 genres to market, including Game of the Year award-winning titles like Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, as well as critically acclaimed titles like Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Civilization Revolution, Speed, Divinity II Ego Draconis and Bully."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 24, 2010, 19:55 Acleacius

Lol, this is a joke.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 24, 2010, 14:40 Kalthorn

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 23:18:
id has coded several engines which sucked at many things and excelled at other things.

This is exactly my point. The definition of failure is attempting something and to not succeed. To say that they failed at skies or suck at creating skies is wrong. They were simply trying to succeed at making brown-colored corridors run really well. And they did. And they did it so well, and made such "fully functional" engines that practically everyone licensed them at one point or another.

The only engines that don't suck at large outdoor environments are those that were designed exactly for those environments. The Peggle engine (whatever it may be) sucks at outdoor environments. It doesn't even have skies. Is it then fair to say that the Peggle programmers failed at skies? No. Is it fair to say that any engine they program forever after will suck at skies? No.

16. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 23:18 Acleacius

Kalthorn wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 21:24:
Quake and Quake 2 didn't "have skies" because id wasn't trying to........... I tend to believe that if they designed it to have big, beautiful outdoor scenes, then those scenes are going to perform wonderfully.
I don't think your being accurate, id has coded several engines which sucked at many things and excelled at other things.

Many other engine companies built engines had skies, great looking textures and online multiplayer. Your theory seems extremely flawed when you claim id wasn't trying to make a fully functional engine, when compared to other companies.

As far as carmack goes, it's extremely hard to believe he gives a shit. He specifically stated in the past he didn't care what fans thought. He does, "what he wants" (paraphrasing here, it's been around 6 years). Also I distinctly remember the doom3 launch, he clearly had his head up his butt when it came to programming the engine. He stated, "he was more interested in his rocket".

He and company maybe capable but they sure the hell haven't show it in action or deed. All they have done since Quake 2 is spit out engines which do corridor, hall and room structures, with basic colors of brown, green and gray (well I stopped paying attention after doom3). Unless something has changed, which I highly doubt.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 22:22 tuddies

you are dead wrong. id engines all suck at outdoor environments, or large environments in general. rage engine will be good at STATIC levels that are small.  

14. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 21:24 Kalthorn

Quake and Quake 2 didn't "have skies" because id wasn't trying to make an outdoor super-awesome-sky engine. So, no, I wasn't joking.

If I code a text file parser, I'm not trying to code something else. If you then try to make it do something else, you don't get to blame my technical skills when it doesn't work or works poorly. So when I say the engine can "do anything it tries to do" I don't mean "can do anything you try to do with it after it has been created."

I am in no way trying to say that an id engine can do anything. Or that modders or anyone else can accomplish any goal or load any kind of level with an id engine.

What I am saying is that Carmack and company are extremely capable when it comes to graphics technology. And while I have no opinions on the Rage engine itself, I tend to believe that if they designed it to have big, beautiful outdoor scenes, then those scenes are going to perform wonderfully.

13. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 18:04 Acleacius

Kalthorn wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 05:04:
I believe an id engine can do anything it tries to do. You guys are acting like they tried and failed at outdoor scenes in previous engines.
An id engine can do anything it wants, your joking right? Sorry no offense but there is no way to take that seriously. Quake and Quake 2 engines were ahead of their time but they didn't have skies. Unless you consider a stagnate texture an acceptable sky?

Once the doom3 engine came out, it was a dog or did you play Quake 2 back in the day, remember how hard all the map Modders tried to do a outdoor sky level it was a total lagfest? Hell doom3 was even worst.

What exactly are you talking about, are you claiming id engines have successfully used skies and did not fail at them?

Dev wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 06:20:
...... id is going to be involved in it. There was no reason to buy id unless they were going to use their engines and programmers..........
I disagree, they bought it for the IPs past, current and future, if the rage engine is good, so be it. Until that happens there is no reason to believe it will be anything different than past id engines.

kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 12:35:
Source please?
How many do you want? Source 1 and Source 2.

12. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 12:35 Kxmode

WyldKat wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 03:28:
Beth devs have already stated it's not RAGE but a completely new engine.

Source please?

11. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 10:05 Elessar

Game-bro (that's how I say it in my head) sucks unfortunately. Oblivion offered some pretty visuals for it's time, but the mechanics were absolute shit. So glad Skyrim is using a new engine.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

10. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 06:20 Dev

Regardless of if its new engine or not, id is going to be involved in it. There was no reason to buy id unless they were going to use their engines and programmers. My guess is that beth saw the writing on the wall with gamebryo going down the tubes and knew they had to do something. They apparently didn't want to just buy out gamebryo, so they grabbed id.  

9. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 05:04 Kalthorn

I believe an id engine can do anything it tries to do. You guys are acting like they tried and failed at outdoor scenes in previous engines.  

8. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 03:56 Overon

I will believe that and id engine (rage) can do outdoor scenes when I see it.  

7. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 03:28 WyldKat

Beth devs have already stated it's not RAGE but a completely new engine.

I'm not sure if I should say so long and thanks for all the fish or good riddance.

6. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 02:02 Acleacius

Kobalt wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 01:38:
id is owned by the same company fyi.
Yes, but still doesn't make id engines worth taking a chance on which Bethesda isn't. They have stated it's not id engine it's in house, not in company, iirc.

The idea an id engine can do open world with a sky, makes me laugh. Hell, all the way up to doom 3, none of their engines could even make a sky that wasn't 8 maybe 16 bit. You can look out the window in doom 3, I didn't measure it but it looked 8 bit to me.

5. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 01:38 Kobalt

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 00:52:
Pretty sure it's in house engine, they aren't dumb enough to use a crappy id engine, well I hope.

id is owned by the same company fyi.

4. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 00:52 Acleacius

kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 00:21:
Because they bought id and decided to use the RAGE engine...
Pretty sure it's in house engine, they aren't dumb enough to use a crappy id engine, well I hope.

3. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 00:44 tantara

Good luck trying to sell that P.O.S engine to any developers. I hope they got it for a bargin,cause I think they have just lost their money. There was a reason they had to sell that crap development platform.  

2. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 00:21 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 00:19:
Now we know why Skyrim isn't using Gamebyro.

Because they bought id and decided to use the RAGE engine...

1. Re: Gamebryo Acquired Dec 23, 2010, 00:19 Acleacius

Now we know why Skyrim isn't using Gamebyro.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo