Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis

Flash of Steel reports that Civilization V lead designer Jon Shafer has departed Firaxis, confirming indications of the change found in Shafer's LinkedIn profile. They have a comment from Jon, who says: "I very much enjoyed my time Firaxis, worked on many projects that Iíve very proud of and got to know a lot of amazing people. Iím appreciative of the opportunities provided by Firaxis and 2K, and hope to see (and play) more great games from them in the future." They also have a response to the news from Firaxis: "We are grateful for Jonís contributions to Firaxis and the Civilization franchise and wish him all the best in the future." Thanks Joao via Gamasutra.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 22, 2010, 14:08 Nomaar

I agreed with you about elemental up until the last patch. It's improved enough that I have some hope it could turn out to be a good game.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 22, 2010, 05:46 Kobalt

Yeah have to agree civ 5 is the biggest disappointment in years. So many little things like the nightmare of moving a army and having it stopped by some random worker. Or endgame and still large amount of the map unsettled etc add up it to it being not fun at all.

I don't know, I played a few games and had zero desire to play ever again. Wish I could get my money back. Civilization 4 and galactic civilization 2 got me into the genre so the fact that civ 5 and elemental turned out to be shit is pretty bad. Don't even know of another 4x game from the last 10 years to play.

9. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 22, 2010, 03:25 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 22, 2010, 01:45:
Personally I'm a big fan of Civ V, as they weren't afraid to make fundamental changes to the gameplay mechanics. Cities that attack, tile based city expansion, no stacking of units, etc. It's still Civilization but it feels fresh.

Same here. Most of the complaints outside of enemy AI sound like "wah I want it to play exactly like Civ4" to me.

8. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 22, 2010, 01:45 theyarecomingforyou

Personally I'm a big fan of Civ V, as they weren't afraid to make fundamental changes to the gameplay mechanics. Cities that attack, tile based city expansion, no stacking of units, etc. It's still Civilization but it feels fresh.

Anyway, wasn't this guy pretty new to Firaxis anyway? I thought he only joined them for this game after being a member of the mod community.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 21, 2010, 23:46 Tumbler

needs more espionage too.

THIS! I play MP almost exclusively with this game and it seems like combat is your only option in so many cases. Combat is a lot more interesting but the game really needs some other options you can leverage against your competition.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 21, 2010, 23:03 Beamer

One thing i don't like is the way every unit turns into a boat. part of the fun of civ was creating logistic chains. overall i am waiting for a patched/modded thing. i love the hex combat and it looks nice. dumbed down tho. needs more espionage too.

You and I play very different games, haha.

I very, very rarely build boats beyond galleys and I despise espionage to the point that I turn it off when I play BtS.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 21, 2010, 22:56 Nate

The last big patch improved the AI a little but not enough. It seems tactically braindead.  

4. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 21, 2010, 22:51 elaborator

One thing i don't like is the way every unit turns into a boat. part of the fun of civ was creating logistic chains. overall i am waiting for a patched/modded thing. i love the hex combat and it looks nice. dumbed down tho. needs more espionage too.  

3. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 21, 2010, 22:04 LittleMe

ASeven wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 20:35:
Am I the only one who thinks Civ V is one of the biggest disappointments of the past years? I find Civ V to be just too simplified for its own good, almost dumbed down in fact.

It's a bit of a disappointment, yes. Don't forget, there's a modding community to fix it.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

2. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 21, 2010, 21:00 Pineapple Ferguson

I don't find it too dumbed down.. I actually really like most of the changes they made to the game mechanics, but I do think the AI and diplomacy interactions are lacking and disappointing.  

1. Re: Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis Dec 21, 2010, 20:35 ASeven

Am I the only one who thinks Civ V is one of the biggest disappointments of the past years? I find Civ V to be just too simplified for its own good, almost dumbed down in fact.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo