Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"Having said that, I think for a period of time - two, three, or four years - these things can be out of sync, where you’ve pissed off your user, but you’re still really profitable, so you’re serving your shareholder. Without being too directly negative about a particular competitor, I would say that what often happens is a scenario where you’ve lost your customer, so you lean on your employee to do evermore impossible things which generates profitability for two or three years where you sort of live off past success. The reason I know what this looks like is we’ve been through it, but I think in the end, abusing your customer, followed by abusing your employee, usually leads to ruin and it usually leads to abusing your investor." -- EA CEO John Riccitiello.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 09:58 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2010, 08:33:
So is this how you rationalize being an asshole? It's not always easy to do the right thing, but most of the time it's pretty straightforward and simple. Pay your employees well, treat them an your customers with respect. Is that so hard? Oddly enough it seems to be for far too many management types. It's why I don't work corporate anymore. I came to the realization long ago that no amount of money is worth either putting up with that shit or shitting on other people for it. Then again, I've never measured my self-worth or anyone else by the size of their wallet. I well and tuly pity people who are locked into that cycle. Life is far too short to waste it with that sort of bullshit.

Exactly why I left the corporate world. Money is a little tighter, but I don't feel like part of the problem anymore....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 09:56 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2010, 08:02:
Wow a CEO of a gaming corporation saying something intelligent, and even *GASP* admitting past mistakes...my world is turning upside down!

Not really. It is the pot calling the kettle black.....I see it as an arrogant ass who constantly turns out the same game and people bitch and want something different or new and they just laugh and laugh....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

14. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 09:55 Hump

Dev wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 21:28:
Not only have they been through it, they are still doing it.

I'm not a fan of EA but they have gotten slightly more tolerable over the past couple of years.

I still despise Riccitiello though for his canceling of Multiplayer Battletech 3025 Brood

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

13. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 09:20 ediede

I think he is sorta missing a key step... ride the wave of past success while abusing customers and employees, gobble up smaller companies and ride off their success and then keep the investors happy by being only one of the two major groups selling video games until you can find a way to screw them by selling the company at a loss.

So the cycle is abuse customers, abuse employees, buy small company and abuse their former customers followed by abusing their employees, repeat until you can no longer hide the fiscal carnage, then abuse the investor followed by selling the primary company for a fraction of its value (with the majority of the sale going to the top three executives).

In an ideal world the investor realizes he is out of bubble gum and sates self by engaging in gratuitous ass-kickage.

Obviously for a company as bloated as EA this would be a decade long process +/- 15 years (a high enough error of margin can make 100% of statistics 50% accurate +/- 200% of the time).

12. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 08:33 Cutter

So is this how you rationalize being an asshole? It's not always easy to do the right thing, but most of the time it's pretty straightforward and simple. Pay your employees well, treat them an your customers with respect. Is that so hard? Oddly enough it seems to be for far too many management types. It's why I don't work corporate anymore. I came to the realization long ago that no amount of money is worth either putting up with that shit or shitting on other people for it. Then again, I've never measured my self-worth or anyone else by the size of their wallet. I well and tuly pity people who are locked into that cycle. Life is far too short to waste it with that sort of bullshit.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 08:02 InBlack

Wow a CEO of a gaming corporation saying something intelligent, and even *GASP* admitting past mistakes...my world is turning upside down!  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 06:13 Mostly_Harmless

Never mind the poor abused customer, won't somebody think of the commas!  

9. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 04:25 Luther

Golwar wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 20:35:
Simple logic. Odd world where a manager receives acknowledgment for saying such basics.
N

Quite. I think that a lot of people at the top, who don't contribute anything tangible to an organisation's success and yet command the single highest wage, judge their worth on how 'hard-nosed' they are and if their willing to make the 'tough decisions'. What that usually translates to is the sort of self-destructive behaviour he's talking about, rather than being in any sense a good leader.

8. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 22, 2010, 00:06 Jivaro

Riker wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 22:24:
Abusing the customer and employee is fine... until you're abusing your investor; that's just not right.

lol..fairly accurate summary.

7. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 21, 2010, 23:33 Warskull

Dev wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 21:28:

I wouldn't say they are still doing it, but they are still trying to recover from it. It has been 2-3 EA was really, really bad. They still carry around the stigma and likely always will.

Activision on the other hand has the luxury of being attached to Blizzard. So they can just milk their games until they've run the studios and franchises into the ground and then just fire everyone and shut down the Activision side of things.

6. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 21, 2010, 22:24 Riker

Abusing the customer and employee is fine... until you're abusing your investor; that's just not right.  

5. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 21, 2010, 21:28 Dev

4. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 21, 2010, 21:20 Prez

Nah, he wasn't referring to Activision. No way. Impossible.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 21, 2010, 21:08 Rattlehead

I like John Riccitiello.  

2. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 21, 2010, 20:57 Jivaro

Golwar wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 20:35:
Simple logic. Odd world where a manager receives acknowledgment for saying such basics.
Not to mention that we must wonder, how much of Riccitiello's topics are nothing more than marketing, without a real background.

Imagine the firestorm he creates if he gets too specific though. For example, let us say that instead of using the word "competitor" he calls out 2K or Activision. His words are no less obvious or basic, however now they have a bite that often leads to a really crappy aftertaste. He isn't going to refer to specific internal EA events either, as that opens a can of worms they probably spent quite a bit of time trying to close. It is fairly self-serving, the whole commentary process as a whole, but at the same time it serves others....like employees and investors, who now have an expectation of a certain level of behavior from within the company and why.

1. Re: Quote of the Day Dec 21, 2010, 20:35 Golwar

Not to mention that we must wonder, how much of Riccitiello's topics are nothing more than marketing, without a real background.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo