Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion

Activision announces that Call of Duty: Black Ops has passed the $1 billion sales mark since the launch of the military shooter in November, according to their internal estimates, saying the only other entertainment product to achieve this milestone so quickly was the Avatar movie. They also announce Black Ops broke the five day multimedia sales record they invented for its predecessor: "In its first five days alone, the game sold more than $650 million worldwide, outpacing theatrical box office, book and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars, according to internal Activision estimates and boxofficemojo.com. The game exceeded Activision's previous five-day worldwide record of $550 million set by last year's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare® 2." The latest Call of Duty game was already identified by the NPD as the seventh bestselling game in history for one month.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 28, 2010, 16:40 Chromius

The COD/MOH are great 1 player games but they are a bit too short for the money spent, I have never bothered with the multiplayer. BF2 and BF BC2 / Vietnam are definitely better MP, get Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Vietnam now they are on sale for Christmas you wont be sorry.

I definitely agree with the masses statement, there is a severe lack of intelligent television these days and I swear things are going backwards, look at the difference in what the UK HST is putting out for a documentary vs US HST which has had to mix entertainment w/ documentary to get you to actually watch something that you learn from which has degraded its content. Reminds me of when I was a 19 year old instructor in the military and used more swear words and jokes to keep peoples attention because I was not that experienced. I still like fun TV do not get me wrong, but I cant hack American Idol and Dancing with the Stars which may be akin to COD at this point.

The family gene tree and intelligence quotient from "Idiocracy" is looking like more of a reality these days.

Peace/Cheers

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 22, 2010, 09:48 JoeNapalm

The One wrote on Dec 22, 2010, 00:14:
Approximately 2 million retards parted with their money...I am one..I played it three times......and I am done. I am playing BF2 Vietnam which like MOH is way the fuck better....BF2V is so great that the maps are awesome in scope and playability......everyday is a good day in Nam...BBQ's Hamburger, sexy radio talk from Vietnamese hookers...hand grenades boat rides and chopper time....digging on the Jethro Tull.....it's fucking beautiful man.....

You had me at Jethro Tull.

Damn it!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

51. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 22, 2010, 04:29 Jackplug

Im one that unfortunately parted with his money only to play it online 10 times, the game is a kiddie blast. I only bought it cos i was bored, the game is lag'o'kill.. I will never buy another cod game, theyve got worse...  

50. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 22, 2010, 03:15 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 16:59:
These games are to sheeple what "Reality TV" is to sheeple...same shit, different pile. Man, I miss when gaming was about good games and gamers were real geeks where we had to hide our shame of our "hobby".

Uh...when did we start calling the Super Bowl "Reality TV"?

I don't think the Superbowl is the best TV show out there, I'd say the showtime/HBO series are some of the best, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a rating Juggernaut that simply crushes everything including shows that are "better" than that one episode of the NFL.

But then it doesn't have the same bite when you compare it to the Superbowl...does it?

Better than football? Huh, I didn't know you were gay.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

49. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 22, 2010, 00:14 The One

Approximately 2 million retards parted with their money...I am one..I played it three times......and I am done. I am playing BF2 Vietnam which like MOH is way the fuck better....BF2V is so great that the maps are awesome in scope and playability......everyday is a good day in Nam...BBQ's Hamburger, sexy radio talk from Vietnamese hookers...hand grenades boat rides and chopper time....digging on the Jethro Tull.....it's fucking beautiful man.....  

48. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 23:23 Sepharo

[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 22:22:
You guys are completely nuts. What they need to do is fire 1/2 of the dead weight as soon as possible and give them nothing but a kick in the ass. Then keep the 1/2 best performers for the next game and put them to work immediately but pay them just enough that 75% will stay. If any of the remaining ingrates even look up instead of working fire their asses immediately. Then get 80% of the rest of the work done in some sweat shops around the world (that means India). If anyone slows down or doesn't work 12 hours a day when you pay them for 8 hours fire them AND turn them in to immigration.

That's how you make a game!!!

Get this man an office!

47. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 22:59 TheVocalMinority

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 14:34:
Its sad that the sheeple have accepted a 5 hour single player game as a record breaking standard. I still have much more fun playing BFBC2.

It would seem that the "sheeple" have accepted the inability to run their own servers as standard also...

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

46. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 22:22 [VG]Reagle

You guys are completely nuts. What they need to do is fire 1/2 of the dead weight as soon as possible and give them nothing but a kick in the ass. Then keep the 1/2 best performers for the next game and put them to work immediately but pay them just enough that 75% will stay. If any of the remaining ingrates even look up instead of working fire their asses immediately. Then get 80% of the rest of the work done in some sweat shops around the world (that means India). If anyone slows down or doesn't work 12 hours a day when you pay them for 8 hours fire them AND turn them in to immigration.

That's how you make a game!!!

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

45. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 22:12 SirKnight

shponglefan wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 19:31:
Agreed. Why back in my day, it was Doom, Quake, Unreal, Blood, ... wait, tactical-what?

At least with those games, they were not trying to look real and show real modern war. Those game's stories and graphics were all futuristic or fantasy of some sort, so unrealistic gameplay makes sense and fits. But Quake style gameplay in a game that looks real with realistic style of combat is out of place and kind of weird. It just doesn't feel right. This is why Valve changed TF2 from the original realistic idea to the cartoony design that they ended up with and it works great. I have played CoD4 MP and MoH beta MP and it just wasn't fun to me. Something just wasn't quite right. But I love TF2 and have played it a lot.

Not only that, but those games had A LOT more value for the money.

44. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 20:08 Prez

^mortis^ wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 15:52:
Sell me a single-player only version for $9.99 please.

I've often thought that this would be a great model, but I realize now no one will ever do it. I might pay 10 bucks for a fun digital version of terrorist whack-a-mole like what Call of Duty has turned into.

If I had my ruthers, though, I'd take a revamped Call of Duty franchise made up mostly of emergent non-scripted tactical battles.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 19:31 shponglefan

Techie714 © wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 14:47:
Bring back REAL tactical MP games like R6, Red Orchestra, ARMA, Project Reality type games!!!! Kids these days dont know good games..

Agreed. Why back in my day, it was Doom, Quake, Unreal, Blood, ... wait, tactical-what?

42. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 17:58 Wildone

Bonus's in the game industry? Are you fcking kidding me..the only bonus's will be for the execs. Maybe some cake for the dev team.  

41. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 17:58 Chazix

Cool, I guess that means Activision will be able to take good care of their developers this year right?  

40. Re: OT Dec 21, 2010, 17:40 Drayth

I did, it was quite serviceable. But it wasn't in 5.1...and there was no maybe just once or purest feeling hidden anywhere.

lol

not even a: twist... twist.. twist...

39. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 17:34 Beamer

and every single developer who worked on the game should have been given a bonus of a minimum of $100,000 with most of the heavy lifters getting $500,000 to a million or more,,,

but no instead the greedy suits at the top pocket the money, work the devs as slaves, pay them virtually nothing and then lay them all off.

1) It sold 1 billion. Figure a third of that is gone instantly as it goes to retail. Another third for distribution and marketing. You're left with $330,000,000 in profit for the publisher and developer. That's being very, very generous. From there you pay off your actors, your licensing fees, etc.
I'm guessing every employee that contributed, other than testers, will get a bonus of a car. Maybe not a Lamborghini, but I'd guess (and it's a pure speculative guess) that everyone is getting something you can buy a car with.
A lot of the money will go into Treyarch's "rainy day" fund, as well as helping them grow bigger.
A lot of that money pays for rent, equipment, etc.
A lot of money will go into subsidizing less profitable games.

2) Being a suit at the top is much, much harder than you think.

3) But I agree. As hard as it is, and many are certainly worthy of high six figure salaries, none are worth 8 figures. Our tax brackets messed things up.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: OT Dec 21, 2010, 17:29 Techie714 ©

"Purest feeling" or even better "Now I'm Nothing" would have been just EPIC! Really looking forward to what Trent does in 2011.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

37. Re: OT Dec 21, 2010, 17:26 nin

Did you get the PHM (Re-issue)? Sounds pretty nice, much cleaner & louder than the original. =)

I did, it was quite serviceable. But it wasn't in 5.1...and there was no maybe just once or purest feeling hidden anywhere.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

36. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 17:19 NicklePop

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 17:05:
and every single developer who worked on the game should have been given a bonus of a minimum of $100,000 with most of the heavy lifters getting $500,000 to a million or more,,,

but no instead the greedy suits at the top pocket the money, work the devs as slaves, pay them virtually nothing and then lay them all off.

the game industry is pretty flipping screwed up. IF people got paid real money for really well done and successfull games there would be a lot more of them. instead of a bunch of fat pigs who did nothing at the top buying their 10th yacht while they laugh and fire everyone two days before Christmas.

Ahh the world, where priorities are completely upside down.

Yay for the oligarchy!

35. Re: OT Dec 21, 2010, 17:18 Techie714 ©

@NIN
Did you get the PHM (Re-issue)? Sounds pretty nice, much cleaner & louder than the original. =)

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

34. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 17:15 nin

Fuckity fuck fuck, a Hellbinder post! Talkin bout tha man, even!

My holidaze are complete.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo