Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Holiday Sale Begins

The Steam Store now reflects the Steam holiday sale, which will run from now until January 2, offering up to 80% savings on select titles, as well as daily and weekly specials on individual titles and compilations. They are also offering a daily special for those who already own a specific Steam game, kicking things off with an additional 10% off on Portal (which is already 75% off) for those who already own Half-Life 2. Here are some of the more than 1000 titles on sale, with individual titles from these various bundles and collections also available at discounts:

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 11:42 Creston

Ray Marden wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 18:34:
It's a developer decision, but it's just about only Valve that lets you gift "extra" copies of games, else they just disappear.

If you are concerned, it will tell you prior to finalizing purchase - it will state "You already own <Game XYZ>, you will/won't be able to purchase additional copies." Well, something to that effect...
Kind of like reverse piracy by the publishers. ZOMG.
Having picked up all the Oddworld games as well as the newest PoP,
Ray

Thanks Ray.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 10:09 Beamer

SMB is the only thing there I'd jump at.

The indie packs may draw my interest due to price but the odds of me ever installing more than one or two games is probably low. Just not enough time.
Wait - puzzle quest 2 is dirt cheap. Sold! Maybe not, actually. I'd rather have it on my phone.

Last two games I've impulse-purchased ultracheap were Metro 2033, which ultimately I lost complete interest in and think was a very dull game, and BioShock2, which hasn't drawn me in, feels odd (if I fire it back up I should change the crosshair - the circle feels so inaccurate and makes me kind of hate what I'm doing) and is stuck to FOV 60 which, while kind of making sense considering I'm in a diving bell, is annoying as hell. I played an hour or so and don't know if I'll go back.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

71. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 09:49 SpectralMeat

Is anyone here have Bioshock 1 on their wish list?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

70. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 06:17 Bucky

Ventura wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 04:31:
So, anyone have any particular recommendations? I already have Bad Company 2, Supreme Commander 2, Portal, Batman Arkham Asylum, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Call of Juarez Bound in Blood...

I thought about Titan Quest, I mean seriously, $3.74 are you kidding me, but I really don't want to buy something just for the sake of buying it. It's bad enough that I also bought Metro 2033 about a week ago but still haven't actually tried it yet.

Having just bought a 3d screen too, games that look particularly good in 3d get bumped right to the top of the list.

I can highly recommend Titan Quest, just be sure to get the community patch before you begin playing. It stays true to the developers aims while fixing a lot of broken stuff.

69. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 06:07 SpectralMeat

Trials was a pretty cool game imo but it is not something you want to play for hours or it becomes super frustrating I agree. I found that some days I was doing much better in that game than other days.

Anyways Steam Christmas sale damage so far

Super Meat Boy
Mix Indie Pack (super awesome games)

Wallet is not crying yet I want to get Arma2 Op Arrowhead and Grid but the discount on them is not so great just yet. Hope they will go a little lower than 33% off. We'll see, but just like nin my Steam account looks like a freakin Indie game central now

68. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 05:28 Prez

Jensen wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 01:02:
Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 20:34:
That's good to know. It is getting great reviews everywhere I look, so if the difficulty isn't insane it's a must-buy.

When I think "tough as nails", or "insane", I think of Trials HD/2. SMB in much less frustrating.

Heh - Trials is one of two games in my 300+ game library on Steam that made me swear that I would never, ever, EVER play again. For the good of my hardware. I got so mad trying to perform the control-fu to get that stupid, godforsaken motorcycle to do those tricks that I almost smashed my keyboard or put a fist through my monitor!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

67. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 04:44 Jerykk

You should buy Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Best survival horror game in a long time and only $10. Also, Fallout: New Vegas. Not much of a sale on that but the game is the best RPG since Arcanum so well worth it.

On another note, the Steam Indie Fright Pack seems badly misnamed. None of those games are scary at all. They should have put Amnesia and the Penumbra games in there.

EMERGENCY ALERT: As of this edit, Amazon is selling Fallout: New Vegas for only $29.99. Buy now please and support the best example of true role-playing goodness. Amazon

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2010, 04:51.

66. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 04:31 Ventura

So, anyone have any particular recommendations? I already have Bad Company 2, Supreme Commander 2, Portal, Batman Arkham Asylum, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Call of Juarez Bound in Blood...

I thought about Titan Quest, I mean seriously, $3.74 are you kidding me, but I really don't want to buy something just for the sake of buying it. It's bad enough that I also bought Metro 2033 about a week ago but still haven't actually tried it yet.

Having just bought a 3d screen too, games that look particularly good in 3d get bumped right to the top of the list.

65. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 03:36 Jensen

Jensen wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 20:07:
I think the difficulty of the game (Super Meat Boy) is way over-stated.

I am a bit obsessive, though. I'm number 30 on the XBLA leaderboards out of 110000... and most of the scores above me are due to glitches with recording the correct time. There is also a saving glitch, but I've never encountered it.

64. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 01:06 Kxmode

RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:49:
Man, I still have games from the LAST Christmas sale I haven't played! Here comes more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPwKHmPfc0M

Just replace "pokemon" with "video games", and the individual pokemon with your favorite games!

63. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 01:02 Jensen

That's good to know. It is getting great reviews everywhere I look, so if the difficulty isn't insane it's a must-buy.

When I think "tough as nails", or "insane", I think of Trials HD/2. SMB in much less frustrating.

62. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 21, 2010, 00:25 nin

I think the difficulty of the game (Super Meat Boy) is way over-stated. I can't even beat most Mega-Man games (or almost any other NES era platformer), but I had no trouble beating the light world of SMB. The Dark World was tough, but since very few levels take longer than 20 seconds or so to beat, and there are instant respawns with no lives counter, I was able to finish all the levels.

Use a 360 controller if you have one with this game. It is an awesome game but I think it is a bit easier to play it with the controller.

Damn, between the Humble Indie Bundle 2 and now SMB, it's indie gaming central in my steam account. Good times!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

61. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 23:47 Jerykk

MuzixMon wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 22:35:
Just bought the Oddworld pack and the 2 new games (to the PC anyways) are completely BROKEN! 1 doesn't even start and the other is running at 10fps. Nice to see they release broken games that don't even run just check the Steam forums to see the issues people are having... Unbelievable...

Damn, I was looking forward to playing those tonight. Let me know how good the ports are once they actually work. If they're capped at 30 FPS, I'll likely skip them.

Scratch that. According to the forums, the port is awful.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2010, 00:10.

60. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 23:30 Sepharo

DangerDog wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 23:03:
Steam's dark forces exe is modified to include some sort of DRM/protection not present in the original exe file. =/
So i think it will not be possible to run mods that require modified exes.

very lame of Lucasarts

Whaaa?

Why bother?

59. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 23:03 DangerDog

MuzixMon wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 22:35:
Just bought the Oddworld pack and the 2 new games (to the PC anyways) are completely BROKEN! 1 doesn't even start and the other is running at 10fps. Nice to see they release broken games that don't even run just check the Steam forums to see the issues people are having... Unbelievable...

I always check forums first, even if it's for a $2.50 game. I was glancing at the forums for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II - even though I own the game it looks like I would be better off digging that old copy out of the closet.

Steam's dark forces exe is modified to include some sort of DRM/protection not present in the original exe file. =/
So i think it will not be possible to run mods that require modified exes.

very lame of Lucasarts

58. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 22:39 SpectralMeat

I think the difficulty of the game (Super Meat Boy) is way over-stated. I can't even beat most Mega-Man games (or almost any other NES era platformer), but I had no trouble beating the light world of SMB. The Dark World was tough, but since very few levels take longer than 20 seconds or so to beat, and there are instant respawns with no lives counter, I was able to finish all the levels.

Use a 360 controller if you have one with this game. It is an awesome game but I think it is a bit easier to play it with the controller.

57. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 22:35 MuzixMon

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

56. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 20:56 Prez

Add 'Prez' if you want to play some L4D2 or BC2 sometime Reagle!

Just be prepared for suckage.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

55. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 20:50 [VG]Reagle

I can not resist anymore, I just bought:
Left 4 Dead 2 9.99 USD
Call of Duty: Black Ops (ROW) 59.99 USD
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam 14.99 USD
Bejeweled 3 19.99 USD
Subtotal 104.96 USD
These games just looked too good. I couldn't stand it any longer....

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

54. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 20:50 Nameless Again

FEAR pack and Sid Meier's Pirates!

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo