Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam

The Humble Indie Bundle Website has word that this pay-what-you-want bundle with a charitable element has now surpassed $1,000,000 in revenue on more than 150,000 sales. For the curious, the average Linux customer chose to pay more than double the amount of the average Windows customer, with the average Mac purchase over 33% larger than the average Windows purchase. They also add that like the first Humble Indie Bundle the new bundle is redeemable on Steam, as well as Desura, though a couple of titles are not available yet: "On your download page, you can optionally get a key to redeem the games on Steam and / or Desura. Not all of the games are on Steam yet: Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans will automatically be added to your library once they make their Steam debut."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 26, 2010, 12:51 Eldaron Imotholin

Humbug.  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 26, 2010, 09:04 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2010, 10:29:

You're so stupid I can't even argue with you.

Translation: I can not logically argue a valid counterpoint, so I am going to drop back to ad hominem attacks.

With most positions yes, such as the guy at the local starbucks making minimum wage. Not with waitstaff. Again you're a fucking moron (sorry Blue) for not getting that this is the way legislators have designed the system. They've done that to give customers some control. Your free riding ruins that.

This is cute. I tell you that as a consumer, I have some measure of control in my dining experience, you clearly agree with me here, and then tell me I'm ruining it by exercising it because, again, I'm not tripping all over myself to follow a custom that is inherently flawed.

Name dropping doesn't make you sound educated...

No, it just means that I have actually read all three major interpretations of it and understand it.

Clearly, you haven't and don't, otherwise you wouldn't have tried to laughably argue that there's a social contract in place for tipping. For tipping!

You're taking advantage of people and hiding behind "Consumer rights." It's ridiculous. But fine, under your model we increase the price of every single food item 20% and that goes directly to waitstaff salary. Huzzah! Consumers won!

Ok...and? You just shot yourself in the foot. Well done. If that's what it takes to insure they earn the minimum wage standard, so be it. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why are you so dead set against it? Are you that cheap?

Because what you're saying is insanely insulting. Your attitude is insanely insulting. You're a fucking crime against humanity. I love your username, too. The only thing you'd ever possibly advocate for are things in your own self-interest. There's no chance you'd ever be willing to give more and lose some for a good cause, as your tipping attitude proves.

Thank you for making me chuckle. You've no idea where the name came from or why it exists. Further, you know absolutely nothing about my charitable endeavors since it isn't something I speak of, even to those closest to me.

Again, this highlights your inability to do anything but froth at the mouth and bang wildly at a keyboard.

It's fucking amazing. C'mon, Father Shaughnessy taught you better.

Clearly, you didn't know the man. Which means you only know him through something I recollected. One of the first, and oft repeated, things he taught all of us was to take a stand against self-entitlement.

All of your posts reek of it. They can be all boiled down to the statement "I did my job, pay me above and beyond what I agreed to be paid for the sole reason of having done that job". Even the article you snidely linked to confirms that. There's zero additional justification of your points, it essentially says "TIP!" Nothing more.

You may find me absolutely distasteful for refusing to feed in to that self-entitlement, so be it. It doesn't particularly concern me and there is no amount of discussion, no matter how uncivil, that is going to see us agreeing on the subject.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

69. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 25, 2010, 10:29 Beamer

That's exactly how it works.

You're so stupid I can't even argue with you. At least Jerykk brings good video game opinions to this site.

Tipping is a reward for service above and beyond the common standard.

With most positions yes, such as the guy at the local starbucks making minimum wage. Not with waitstaff. Again you're a fucking moron (sorry Blue) for not getting that this is the way legislators have designed the system. They've done that to give customers some control. Your free riding ruins that.

No, there isn't. In fact, tipping has absolutely nothing to do with a social contract of any sort, whether you're using Hobbes', Locke's or Rousseau's take on the matter.

Name dropping doesn't make you sound educated, it just makes it clear you went to the Wikipedia page for social contract. A shame you didn't learn anything in classrooms.
Here, read the Times:
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/ticked-about-tipping/?ref=dining
Did you look up the free rider problem, too? Clearly you don't understand it.

I agree, your lack of an understanding on consumer based rights, intelligent management of money and complete naivety on the work-reward system is absolutely arrogant and blindingly stupid.

You're taking advantage of people and hiding behind "Consumer rights." It's ridiculous. But fine, under your model we increase the price of every single food item 20% and that goes directly to waitstaff salary. Huzzah! Consumers won!

Though it's cute how you can't manage a single reply without attempting to insult your opponent.

Because what you're saying is insanely insulting. Your attitude is insanely insulting. You're a fucking crime against humanity. I love your username, too. The only thing you'd ever possibly advocate for are things in your own self-interest. There's no chance you'd ever be willing to give more and lose some for a good cause, as your tipping attitude proves.

It's fucking amazing. C'mon, Father Shaughnessy taught you better.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2010, 12:23.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

68. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 25, 2010, 04:47 Jerykk

So all those arguing for better wages and lesser tips for serving staff should bear in mind that it is restaurant customers that will lose out from this, in the form of higher prices for their meals and staff who are disinterested in going the extra mile.

With the current system, most wait staff are apathetic anyway. Since tipping is considered an unofficial standard, most waiters just don't care about going the extra mile unless you're working at a fancy restaurant where the food is expensive and the tips are potentially bigger. And again, if customers are expected to pay tips to compensate for the waiter's lousy wages, then raising the price of meals and eliminating tips wouldn't really make any difference. With the current system, customers end up paying the difference anyway.

Here's how it should work:

1) No tips. If people working in retail and other crappy, low-wage jobs don't aren't allowed to accept tips, why should those in restaurants and bars?
2) Wait staff always get paid at least minimum wage, with the potential for raises, bonuses and/or promotions based on performance (much like any other job). If waiters don't do their job properly, they get fired.

I think a lot of people fail to recognize the inherent problem with tipping because they, their friends or their family work in restaurants and bars. However, you have to look at it objectively and compare the business practices of bars/restaurants with those of other industries revolving around customer service. There is simply no logical reason for wait staff to get tips while those working in retail, fast food, customer support, etc, do not.

67. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 23, 2010, 18:30 Kosumo

I'm with Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs on this one (and hey, seems to me he was the last one alive)

I'm on the Team Jerykk on this one.

66. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 23, 2010, 03:06 Tango

For what it's worth, in somewhere like the UK where service is automatically added on at 12.5% (and servers make minimum wage, except in disreputable establishments which "make up" the wages with tips), the service sucks compared to that you usually find in economies like the US where servers are dependent on your tips (and therefore treating you properly).

So all those arguing for better wages and lesser tips for serving staff should bear in mind that it is restaurant customers that will lose out from this, in the form of higher prices for their meals and staff who are disinterested in going the extra mile.

Also, Beamer, FWIW, congratulations on getting this far in an argument with Jerykk :). Happy Christmas all.

65. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 17:01 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 11:56:
NO! That is NOT how it works!

That's exactly how it works. Were you forced in to your current employment, if you are employed, at gunpoint? No? Then you made a choice. See? That's exactly how it works.

Tipping is standard and therefore validly expected unless you fuck up.

No, no it isn't. Simply because you repeat something long enough doesn't make it true. You can't explain why the system is in place, you can only regurgitate the same line over and over. Tipping is a reward for service above and beyond the common standard. Just like performance bonuses in real jobs.

So the option is not to "not take [the job in the tip-driven industry]" but for the jerks to not eat at a place that is driven by tips. Don't think you should tip? Eat take-out.

Actually, that's the only direct and valid option available. Take a job that pays you what you think you're worth. Stop stamping your feet and insulting customers like a child because you can't manage to land a job that pays you a guaranteed living wage.

You're a free-rider, you know that?

You're a moron, you know that? You clearly have zero understanding of, or respect for, the money you earn.

There's a simple social contract:...

No, there isn't. In fact, tipping has absolutely nothing to do with a social contract of any sort, whether you're using Hobbes', Locke's or Rousseau's take on the matter.

This is how the industry functions.

Pick a different industry that pays you better.

You're free-riding and taking advantage of it.

I'm sure the waitress I tipped at lunch this afternoon felt that she was taken advantage of. That's why she hugged me and thanked me.

It's infuriatingly arrogant and, quite frankly, stupid.

I agree, your lack of an understanding on consumer based rights, intelligent management of money and complete naivety on the work-reward system is absolutely arrogant and blindingly stupid.

Though it's cute how you can't manage a single reply without attempting to insult your opponent.

64. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 15:10 Eldaron Imotholin

It's indeed freaking moronic that waiters are getting paid less than the minimum wage. If you're working at a bar/restaurant that does things by the book in The Netherlands, you're atleast getting paid minimum wage no matter what the tips are. The way it should be.  

63. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 12:27 Jerykk

There's a simple social contract: wait-staff will treat you well, you will tip them. If they do a great job you tip them better. If they don't treat you well you tip them worse, or in the extreme not at all.

Has it ever occurred to you that the custom is inherently flawed? You're just repeating the custom itself as if that justifies it.

All jobs should pay at least minimum wage. That's the whole point of minimum wage. For some reason, waiting jobs are exempt from this in some states. If these workers cannot survive without tips, obviously they shouldn't be exempt from minimum wage. If you pay tips, you are supporting a flawed custom and there will be no impetus for bars and restaurants to provide sufficient pay for their workers.

62. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells 1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 11:56 Beamer

Then you clearly have the option of, oh, I don't know, not taking the job in the first place.

NO! That is NOT how it works!

Tipping is standard and therefore validly expected unless you fuck up.

So the option is not to "not take [the job in the tip-driven industry]" but for the jerks to not eat at a place that is driven by tips. Don't think you should tip? Eat take-out.

See how that works, too? YOU decide who gets your dollars. You aren't forced to pay anyone for anything.

You're a free-rider, you know that?
There's a simple social contract: wait-staff will treat you well, you will tip them. If they do a great job you tip them better. If they don't treat you well you tip them worse, or in the extreme not at all.

You're free-riding and taking advantage of it.
It's infuriatingly arrogant and, quite frankly, stupid.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 10:59 Eldaron Imotholin

Prez wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 10:46:
dude do you seriously need a fucking manual on how to tip? seriously? do you need some diagrams and flow charts to help you maximize your potential understanding capability here?

I rely on my cell phone's tip calculator to give me a base number, so that's almost as bad! Then I adjust it according to the quality of the service.

I've eaten such good dishes in some restaurants (mostly Italian) that I wished there was a way to tip the chef. Though the better ones tend to do just fine with their salary alone.

Where I've worked, all people had to do while giving a tip is say how much of that was for the chef and then we made it happen. There's also been places where I worked where we shared all the tips, kitchen included.

60. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 10:46 Prez

dude do you seriously need a fucking manual on how to tip? seriously? do you need some diagrams and flow charts to help you maximize your potential understanding capability here?

I rely on my cell phone's tip calculator to give me a base number, so that's almost as bad! Then I adjust it according to the quality of the service.

I've eaten such good dishes in some restaurants (mostly Italian) that I wished there was a way to tip the chef. Though the better ones tend to do just fine with their salary alone.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

59. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 08:55 Eldaron Imotholin

space captain wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 07:56:
pacbowl wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 00:40:
Maybe it's different in other areas, but I was raised on the idea that the receipt total+level of service determines the overall tip, and of course it's going to change on a case-by-case basis and be determined by the overall situation. Do you tip the same amount every time? All you've explained is what a tip is supposed to be and the basic idea behind it. I get that, the more people and the higher the service equals more tip, and I do tip. What I want to know is why the total receipt amount determines the tip and how that came about, because it means if you order cheaper meals=receipt total=lower tip. No more, no less. Unfortunately it seemed to have hit a nerve. I'm not looking for a fight

dude hit that nerve all day because im fucking laughing hard

Fucking hell, I'm completely agreeing with you in this whole thread, sc. Remarkable.

It's indeed ridiculous that there's some sum going on in your head pacbowl. My tips are random. It all depends on my mood, the service, if it's a guy or girl, ugly or sexy, quality of the meal. That all combined. And then it's still random.

58. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 07:56 space captain

Maybe it's different in other areas, but I was raised on the idea that the receipt total+level of service determines the overall tip, and of course it's going to change on a case-by-case basis and be determined by the overall situation. Do you tip the same amount every time? All you've explained is what a tip is supposed to be and the basic idea behind it. I get that, the more people and the higher the service equals more tip, and I do tip. What I want to know is why the total receipt amount determines the tip and how that came about, because it means if you order cheaper meals=receipt total=lower tip. No more, no less. Unfortunately it seemed to have hit a nerve. I'm not looking for a fight

dude hit that nerve all day because im fucking laughing hard

Go forth, and kill!

57. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 06:02 peteham

Prez wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 01:14:
Anyway, for those who are upset with low donations for this bundle, what do you think the minimum reasonable amount for it would be? Just curious...
I'd say around the $10 mark, since there's a charity component. I don't really have a problem with people paying down to about $5 though I think it's rapidly approaching cheapskate-territory, as this is no regular sale. Any lower than this, though, and my mind boggles at the fact people even bother punching in payment credentials for such paltry amounts.

I personally put in 35 USD with 70% or so going to charity, since I already own the only two games I have any up-front interest in. I may try a couple of the others at some point, if time should ever permit

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2010, 06:15.

56. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 05:02 Armengar

well I paid 10 (about $15?) I was only interested in titans - which I was going to buy anyway. I bought it via the bundle as I knew it would go on steam eventually (although not yet I believe it will do).

If people want to pay 0.01 then so be it. Thats up to them but in life things will bite them in the arse as that attitude will be present in other decisions they make. I pity their children too.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

55. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 01:32 Kosumo

$7.25 unless you are waitstaff then $2.50  

54. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 01:14 Prez

I kind of agree with both Jerykk and Beamer. Now they'll either both like me or despise me.

Anyway, for those who are upset with low donations for this bundle, what do you think the minimum reasonable amount for it would be? Just curious...

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

53. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 00:43 Sepharo

What I want to know is why the total receipt amount determines the tip and how that came about, because it means if you order cheaper meals=receipt total=lower tip. No more, no less. Unfortunately it seemed to have hit a nerve. I'm not looking for a fight

Yes that's an obvious flaw. You're not the first to point it out. Luckily you can tip whatever you want, but generally it is determined as a percentage of the receipt total... before coupons you cheap bastard

52. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #2 Sells $1M, Now on Steam Dec 21, 2010, 00:40 pacbowl

space captain wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:57:
pacbowl wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 19:46:
Why is tipping based on the monetary value of the meal? Nobody has even been able to answer this question on any tipping thread I've seen.

a tip is supposed to be relative to the amount of work involved, which is directly related to the number of people served, and typically more people = more money spent.. its also supposed to represent a quality level, altho generally that seems more like an idealism than practicality

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo