Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling games on Steam this week:

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam
  2. Left 4 Dead 2
  3. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  4. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  5. Just Cause 2
  6. Metro 2033
  7. Killing Floor
  8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  9. Killing Floor Bundle
  10. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2010, 03:48 Eldaron Imotholin

And I cannot come up with one valid reason not to get Windows 7. I'm having it, 64bit, and it's better in every way. If I wanna play an ancient game that doesn't run on it -- which I only had with 1 game so far! -- I'm choosing WinXP during boot-up.

If you want to avoid Win 7 like the plague due to some misguided principle... well, your loss.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 19:50 space captain

yeh XP64bit was never really officially supported  
Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 18:22 Rattlehead

The problem you have is Windows XP 64-bit. It's broken, nothing works on it. XP 64 had very little in terms of support. Not to mention you are on an outdated OS.  

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 14:59 Lit_Reflex001

"Runs perfectly fine on mine. Running Windows XP-64bit?"

Yes, I'm running 64 bit with XP. I can't remember exactly what the problem was with launching a game (though I remember I've never even made it to a loading screen), and the server browser is incompatible with my software firewall (ESET Smart Security).

I've read lots of posts online of people having similar problems. Why do all these companies have to fail so bad at testing these PC versions? Like I've said before, anyone want a free copy of GTA:IV? That game's textures won't load in-game and the Alt-tab trick that worked for me when I was using a pirated version doesn't work at all.

I am in need of some Battlefield gameplay.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 11:19 JoeNapalm

I missed the Killing Floor sale.

Again.

*sigh*

I blame AC2, which I finally finished so I can play the new one.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 09:49 NeOCidE

For those of you who are getting frequent CTD. Have you tried editing your profile file?

I'm not sure if it will help with your issues but 2 of my brothers were suffering from the same problems. They edited the profile ini file and replaced DX10 with DX9.

They've never recieved a CTD since.

I'll tell you something though. I'm not sure what is wrong with Dice' programming but they somehow manage to overheat GFX cards for fun. They have always done it with their BF engines.

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 09:38 nin

I want it on console though - those types of games I like to lay on the couch and play....

If you're referring to Mafia 2, you definitely want it on the PC, as it looks a million times better.

Great game, you'll like it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 09:20 justice7

Mostly_Harmless wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 04:15:
I have problems with BC2 under Win 7 64 too, if I don't run it in XP compatibility mode it will CTD between almost every round, just at the point it starts to load the next map.

I still get this randomly even in XP mode and there are a good few others experiencing the same problem.

Shame because I like the game, I just can't play it for long without getting mad at it and I won't be buying any expansions unless they fix it.

Make sure you update a few things,

Punkbuster
Video Drivers
and any other pieces of hardware which the game uses (motherboard, sound, etc)

If everything is up to date, it might solve your problems.

My setup works just fine/great with no CTD's..

Win7 64 Bit
4GB RAM
ATi 5870 1GB

i think i'm running 10.12 hotfix drivers.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 09:08 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 08:39:
Oh, did anyone grab that Flight Control HD yesterday on Steam? Holy crap that is a fun and addicting game!

I did. It gets pretty tough very quick. Couldn't pass 20 ish score yet on the first level

Maybe I just suck

Steam: SpectralMeat

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 08:39 xXBatmanXx

Oh, did anyone grab that Flight Control HD yesterday on Steam? Holy crap that is a fun and addicting game!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 08:38 xXBatmanXx

I want it on console though - those types of games I like to lay on the couch and play....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 08:05 SpectralMeat

spindoctor wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 07:48:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 05:25:
Best Buy has Mafia II for 29.99.

Going to get that one this week - don't think I will ever see it for cheaper.

The Steam holiday sale starts today, and I am almost certain it will be on sale for at least 25$, if not less. Pick it up then if you want.

You should know what to expect from a Mafia game though. It's a linear, narrative driven game, much like the first one was. If you're expecting GTA 1950 where you play in a sandbox, this is not the game for you.

This is not a sandbox game but a really really well done linear game. I think it is well worth the money. If it goes on sale for under $30 then it is a steal for that.

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 07:48 spindoctor

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 05:25:

The Steam holiday sale starts today, and I am almost certain it will be on sale for at least 25$, if not less. Pick it up then if you want.

You should know what to expect from a Mafia game though. It's a linear, narrative driven game, much like the first one was. If you're expecting GTA 1950 where you play in a sandbox, this is not the game for you.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 07:47 Parallax Abstraction

The story in Mafia II was awesome and the characters and acting are top notch. The city is pretty dead unfortunately and the mission design isn't great either. For $20, I think it's absolutely worth playing for the story though.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 07:31 Pippiwolf

Spent 10 hours on Civ 5 again  

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 06:31 Eldaron Imotholin

Batman, wait til it drops further. To atleast $19,-. That game left such a bitter taste I don't even wanna think about it anymore.

I truly fucking hate Mafia 2. Even the story is crap and the city is dead.

Just.... just don't buy it, mate.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 05:25 xXBatmanXx

/Actually - isn't Amazon doing price matching now? Maybe I will fire an email to them.

//edit 2: Crap. It must haev been a mistake - is now changed to 39.99! CRAAAAAAAP!

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2010, 05:38.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 04:15 Mostly_Harmless

I have problems with BC2 under Win 7 64 too, if I don't run it in XP compatibility mode it will CTD between almost every round, just at the point it starts to load the next map.

I still get this randomly even in XP mode and there are a good few others experiencing the same problem.

Shame because I like the game, I just can't play it for long without getting mad at it and I won't be buying any expansions unless they fix it.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2010, 02:17 Zardoz5

Trashy wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 22:14:

God damn BC2 won't run on my 64 bit version of Windows.

Runs perfectly fine on mine. Running Windows XP-64bit?

Works fine on my Win 7 64-bit and friends who have this setup also.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 19, 2010, 22:14 Trashy

God damn BC2 won't run on my 64 bit version of Windows.

Runs perfectly fine on mine. Running Windows XP-64bit?

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo