Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Planetside Next Beta Nears

Smed's Blog has an update from Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley on what's up with Planetside Next, their upcoming shooter sequel (thanks Planetside Universe). Word is beta testing will be getting underway soon: "In other news - early next year we will have announcements about Planetside Next followed by a beta. I can say this - it's coming along awesome. I can also say that the first beta testers are going to be current Planetside subscribers. I've gotten a lot of email from current players offering to help test the game and we're going to take them up on it."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 20, 2010, 10:57 JoeNapalm

Please...please...please...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Jerryk says: Dec 19, 2010, 20:13 space captain

Wall2  
Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 11:57 Hump

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 02:50:
Hump, this is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand but would you say that you are not a big fan of RPGs and that Oblivion and Morrowind were exceptions to the rule?

Dozey

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

17. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 11:33 [VG]Reagle

Speak for yourself. I for one have been glad SOE is out there and have enjoyed their games. If you don't like their games then why post here. Planetside was a great concept and I hope they get 2 right.  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

16. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 09:15 Asmo

Why would anyone have concerns? We all have such low expectations of SOE that it's virtually impossible to be disappointed... =)  

15. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 08:47 Veterator

The lack of information and the abruptness of the game being announced for launch without any sort of publicly known beta testing prior to now is something I have a lot of concern over. Especially when SOE is pretty bad about fixing problems in it's games after they've launched.

Everquest had repeated screwed up launches for at least 5 expansion packs...and the game launch with server load issues. But it also had problems related to loot being given to the highest sole damage doer that were in there for almost 6 months if I recall.

Then Everquest 2, they basically took everything about EQ threw it out the window and slapped the EQ name on it. It may be more related to EQ now, but EQ2 was nothing like the original on launch... if it had been called anything but Everquest 2 you wouldn't have known they were supposed to be the same world/history/etc. As for bugs, it wasn't the best performing game and I just flat out didn't like it enough to play more than a couple days.

Then they bought Vanguard, which was basically a broken game on release. They spent a year on it and still hadn't fixed a lot of the client crashing bugs. Now it withers away, with one developer working on it from what I've read.

They also had a poor history with Planetside. It had a too high monthly fee for what it was and had very poor support and additions. You basically paid for additions on top of the monthly fee and had servers that lagged like hell.

And SOE tries to overly monetize stuff in their games. Used to have the special EQ servers where people paid like double and triple the monthly fee for "special" access to them. Having weird exceptions to their "All Access Subscription"....etc.

They might actually have some lively games if they just relaxed a little on squeezing every last penny out of their customers and provided a good value. Probably end up with a lot of station access pass or whatever they call it subscriptions increased original box sales...and generally more people playing their games would attract more people.

But this "3 months till launch" and a beta only happening 2-2.5 months prior to launch to a degree that will stress their servers is not inspiring confidence in a company that has a history of screwing up and generally boning their customers.

And I completely left out Star Wars Galaxies....which some say it was Lucas Arts.....but that was just a colossal fuck up.

14. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 06:43 Jerykk

Oh come on! You have a whole mega-thread about that. Don't let it spill into this one too

If I can get a clear, solid answer from Hump, I can end at least one of the debates in that thread.

13. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 06:30 J

Jerykk wrote on Dec 19, 2010, 02:50:
Hump, this is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand but would you say that you are not a big fan of RPGs and that Oblivion and Morrowind were exceptions to the rule?

Oh come on! You have a whole mega-thread about that. Don't let it spill into this one too

12. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 03:57 LIQUID-SEX

I don't know if I could put it in the "one of the best and most deep FPS games ever made" class, but it's definitely in the "one of the few MMOFPS" class.  

11. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 03:29 space captain

Rotfl  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 02:50 Jerykk

9. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 19, 2010, 00:14 Hump

Probably one of the best and most deep FPS games ever made. I pray Sony does justice to the original.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

8. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 18, 2010, 22:19 Steele Johnson

I'd rather they don't listen to the current PS player base.  

7. Re: Much more advertising needed! Dec 18, 2010, 21:37 [VG]Reagle

I like planetside alot and I hope this game is awesome.  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

6. Much more advertising needed! Dec 18, 2010, 20:55 JohnBirshire

I bought Planetside the day it came out and played it to death the first couple months. I thoroughly enjoyed it for awhile, and I didn't even know they were making another until reading this post, and I'm fairly knowledgeable about what's going on in the industry.  

5. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 18, 2010, 19:43 LIQUID-SEX

My friends and I enjoyed the first until the mechs, then the game play got horribly un-fun.  

4. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 18, 2010, 16:41 Nate

The large land areas, hundred player battles and the fun vehicles. Please don't screw this up SOE.  

3. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 18, 2010, 16:09 J

I want to believe...  

2. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 18, 2010, 16:09 Fion

I played Planetside off and on over the years, mostly during free play time. It is a very enjoyable shooter with lot of options but it was never worth a monthly fee. When ever they had a free month or so you'd see a crazy number of players but as soon as it was up and it was subscriber only again, the game would be dead.

So I hope Planetside 2 is as good as the original and is F2P (with the obligatory microtansactions).

1. Re: Planetside Next Beta Nears Dec 18, 2010, 15:37 Pumas

How about those of us who beta tested (closed and open) the original and were so disgusted by how badly SOE fubared the game in the last month before release that we couldn't bring ourselves to become subscribers?  
How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo