Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Google Lets You Dumb Down Your Search Results With “Reading Level” Filter (thanks Ant) via Slashdot). Interesting stuff: The breakdown reported for this site is 30% Basic, 69% intermediate. I'd like to take credit for the amount of content here marked as "advanced," all less than 1% of it, but that is actually thanks to Michael Abrash.

Intermediate Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Mountain Maniac Xmas.
On the Deck.
Links: The Evolution of Mario.
Stories: Slow candy sales mean goodbye Hawaii, aloha Fargo. Thanks Slashdot.
Baby goat born in church nativity scene. Thanks Neatorama.
Taxpayers’ cash spent on invisible art. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: Theorists seek dark matter in hot neutron stars.
7 Pictures of Cosplayers with a Sense of Humor.
Media: Time-Lapse Shows Natalie Starting Age 10 Years In 86 Seconds.
Ms. Pacman.
Celebrities pay for crimes against culture.
Auction: Autographed Stormtrooper Helmet. Thanks Mark.
The Funnies: Dilbert and more Dilbert.
Brevity.
xkcd- Tree.
Follow-up: LHC spots no black holes, eliminates some versions of string theory.
Syfy Closes Stargate Universe.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2010, 18:46 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Dec 18, 2010, 10:27:
I'm 3 episodes into season 3 of BSG. Been taking my sweet time with it because I don't want it to end.

The ending is really good.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2010, 10:27 Sepharo

I thought I was becoming a a sci-fi fan but I guess that means dealing with shows getting cancelled all the time.

I'm 3 episodes into season 3 of BSG. Been taking my sweet time with it because I don't want it to end.

17. Re: Syfy closes Stargate Universe Dec 18, 2010, 07:21 eRe4s3r

Stargate Universe was a disgrace to the SG Universe. No likeable characters - pointless love triangles - stupid combat and not enough action. It was like watching Big Brother except in Space and in the stargate universe... brrrr

Just like Walking Dead is going to die a hopefully quick death after this pointless waste of time that they call S1 (with 6 episodes!) and way too boring zombies. After L4D you'd think they can come up with a bit more than just walkers....

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2010, 01:30 jimnms

kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2010, 00:55:
I noticed something while watching Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country. Watch the Klingon in the back at 1h 34m. The moment General Chang gives the order to fire... that Klingon does some sort of dance. lol
Going to have to go dig out my box set and check that out.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2010, 00:55 Kxmode

I noticed something while watching Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country. Watch the Klingon in the back at 1h 34m. The moment General Chang gives the order to fire... that Klingon does some sort of dance. lol  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 23:52 space captain

Nucas wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 22:30:
i'm honestly surprised anyone here actually liked stargate universe, i thought it was garbage and apparently the viewership agreed. the writers didn't want to write stargate anymore, they wanted to write some fucking stupid soap opera with a popular franchise as a backdrop.

no thats true - the writers squandered all the momentum trying to explore some kind of pretentious "human drama" bullshit.. and by the time they realized their mistake it was too late - sadly they actually did seem to have realized it IMHO and the last half of this last season I thought was shaping up quite well.. they dropped most of the screentime for the sappy shit, but it was still very dark and conflicted, looked like it had potential for something new in SG

sadly, too little too late.. in fact it was only in the last few minutes of this mid-season finale where i finally thought the show was "starting to get good" - as they were dropped into the middle of a giant battle between all kinds of alien ships

another reason i watched it is because it was the only fucking game in town.. where are the rest of the "classic" sci-fi series, with the spaceships and aliens?? please tell me if you can find one

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 22:30 Nucas

i'm honestly surprised anyone here actually liked stargate universe, i thought it was garbage and apparently the viewership agreed. the writers didn't want to write stargate anymore, they wanted to write some fucking stupid soap opera with a popular franchise as a backdrop.

i used to get away with watching sg1 or atlantis with my roommates but when i watched the series premier of universe it was so embarrassing i had to turn it off and apologize.

they canceled atlantis, a good show with a proven track record, so they could fund universe and destroy the brand. bravo.

i remember five years ago scifi had the power trio - sg1, atlantis and battlestar galactica. now they have ghost hunters and wrestling.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 19:32 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 11:29:
2010 in photos.

I almost sent that one in. Some amazing pics, but man, some depressing ones, too. Not the best year...

Yea, some pretty amazing stuff. That bull gore one was pretty friggen amazing! More amazing is that the guy lived.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 19:26 Cutter

I think I'm going to make and start selling "Google is not your friend" t-shirts!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 15:23 shul

Wow, I didn't know about that abrash link

Any other treasure troves on this site, blue?

If possible, I'd very much like to see articles like this from epic, id, serious engine guys, infinity and crysis.. I wonder if they will be as honest about contemporary problems as abrash was ?

Also, would be nice to add a time stamp to each of the articles.

9. Re: Syfy closes Stargate Universe Dec 17, 2010, 13:58 Kxmode

Fion wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 12:32:
Syfy Execs: We cancel Stargate Universe and bring in more WRESTLING!

Well the wrestling on TV is science-fiction wrestling... so I guess it's appropriate.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 13:32 Hyatus

Yeah, jerks. And where's season 3 of "Who Wants to be a Superhero?"

7. Re: Syfy closes Stargate Universe Dec 17, 2010, 13:28 Ratty

Well crap! Canceling Caprica was no big deal. I sort of watched it but didn't love it. But SGU was really getting interesting and I started to look forward to it on Tuesdays. You look at all the absolute shit SyFy spews and yet you've always had to give them a little credit for things like Stargate and BSG. I guess they needed that timeslot for reruns of Sharktopus and Mansquito.  

6. Re: Syfy closes Stargate Universe Dec 17, 2010, 13:12 Nate

SGU was one of the few regular TV shows I regularly watched.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 12:52 space captain

at least Starz is bringing back Torchwood  
Go forth, and kill!

4. Syfy closes Stargate Universe Dec 17, 2010, 12:32 Fion

Syfy Execs: Well gentlement we are a shit channel with only a few decent shows so we really don't have a lot of money anymore. Ever since we changed our name and turned away from science fiction our audience has left in droves.

Syfy Employee: So what do we do then?

Syfy Execs: We cancel Stargate Universe and bring in more WRESTLING!

Fuck you scifi. If not for Warehouse 13, Eureka and the now dead Stargate Universe, I would ask my provider to remove your channel as it's a waste of television amidst the wastes of television.

I mean seriously. DO TV execs really not understand why total television viewership in the US drops by a few million ever single year? Buy a fucking clue.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 12:24 Hyatus

Time-Lapse Shows Natalie Starting Age 10 Years In 86 Seconds.
Ms. Pacman.

I skimmed over that and read the Pacman as Portman and combined the two in my head and swore it said "Time-Lapse Shows Natalie Portman Starting Age 10 Years in 86 Seconds."

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 11:31 sauron

I wish they'd do something like that for the scientific literature on the National Institutes of Health database. Label each scientific publication as Important Breakthrough, Interesting Advance, Marginal and Repetitive, or Completely Unsupported Hogwash.

You'd think that would be possible by filtering manuscripts using their Scientific Impact Factor, but it's simply not the case.

Kittens!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 11:29 nin

2010 in photos.

I almost sent that one in. Some amazing pics, but man, some depressing ones, too. Not the best year...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo