Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Derek Smart Interview

An insight on indie from Alganon on Massively is an interview with Quest Online president Derek Smart about Alganon, QOL's MMORPG. Topics include the game's rocky start, claims the game is a WoW clone, patches, scenery, music, remaining independent, marketing, and more. There's also a new Quest Online Dev Blog where Derek looks back on his first year with the project.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 17, 2010, 01:09 Kxmode

Uwe Boll should make a movie about Derek Smart's rise to infamy. It would be like one of those Oliver Stone films. I'd watch! I think Faran Tahir should play Derek Smart. He was the Captain of the doomed ship Kirk's father inherited in Star Trek (2009).

Uwe Boll better include a Coke machine fighting scene!

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2010, 01:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 22:51 Pankin

I just read that entire article and underlying comments. Wow.

God bless Derek Smart for providing so much entertaining material, and I'm an atheist.

27. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 18:05 wtf_man

nin wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 09:44:
Uhm... you mean Pepsi.

Google "derek smart coke machine" and get back to us...

Sorry, I was associating moon rock with Michael Jackson's moon walk, and he did Pepsi commercials.

Now that I've Googled Derek and Coke Machine...that's pretty funny!

26. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 15:27 Slashman

Verno wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 13:06:
Cartman wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 03:22:
Why is this guy still in this industry? He is like the reverse Midas as everything he touches turns to brown.

I wish I was kidding. I wouldn't buy a game by him if you included a free copy of the latest Call of Duty.

He is one of those people who just bullies their way into things. Unfortunately this means they can kick around for quite awhile as even burning bridges with others takes time, especially in an industry this large. There are several industry personalities that I'm not a huge fan of but at least I can respect most of them as having accomplished something. Derek Smart is most famous for fighting with his fans and making awful games and yet still somehow gets a pay check. What can I say, life isn't always fair.

To sum that all up...

Uwe Boll Clown

25. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 13:06 Verno

Cartman wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 03:22:
Why is this guy still in this industry? He is like the reverse Midas as everything he touches turns to brown.

I wish I was kidding. I wouldn't buy a game by him if you included a free copy of the latest Call of Duty.

He is one of those people who just bullies their way into things. Unfortunately this means they can kick around for quite awhile as even burning bridges with others takes time, especially in an industry this large. There are several industry personalities that I'm not a huge fan of but at least I can respect most of them as having accomplished something. Derek Smart is most famous for fighting with his fans and making awful games and yet still somehow gets a pay check. What can I say, life isn't always fair.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

24. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 11:30 Kxmode

I heard Derek Smart is the Cylon known as Daniel.  

23. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 09:44 nin

Uhm... you mean Pepsi.

Google "derek smart coke machine" and get back to us...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 09:30 wtf_man

FloorPie wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 05:06:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 23:23:
i heard derek smarts got a moon rock

And a coke machine.

Uhm... you mean Pepsi.

21. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 09:28 grudgebearer

I guess he's given up on his magnum opus? Sad really, because we all wanted to see another release of the same game he has been creating for 20 years now.  

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

20. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 05:06 FloorPie

Sepharo wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 23:23:
i heard derek smarts got a moon rock

And a coke machine.

19. Re: looks italian Dec 16, 2010, 04:28 Prez

space captain wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 02:14:

but seriously.. dont insult him too much, hes frageeley

That must be Italian!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 03:53 Theo

Without getting in to the derek slamming, and getting back on topic; i do hope that they find financial success out of the project (no matter how publicly ugly) the take over was.

i do worry about him saying he wants to "finish the game", as a Avid mmo player (some times i am subbed to 5+ games at once, and usually 3 at anyone time [3 eve accounts, not counted as i dont pay money for those anymore) - i like to see these games do well) - you certainly dont need millions of players to be profitable.

mmo's imo are never "finished" tho, players always want to know what is around the corner, content only lasts so long unless the games mechanics offer up unique content aside mechanics (planetside, eve) etc.

thats the only quote i that does not really sit with me, otherwise, i am glad they have the game on track and hope they can look to the future for there player base.

PS: my english is terrible here, will fix when i get to work.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

17. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 03:22 Cartman

16. looks italian Dec 16, 2010, 02:14 space captain

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 00:20:
I heard Derek Smart is in a relationship with that dorky kid from A Christmas Story. You know, the one whose picture is below this post.

heh

but seriously.. dont insult him too much, hes frageeley

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 01:16 Cutter

Prez wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 00:41:
You guys are terrible!

But funny. (Except for the pedophile part. That was just wrong.)

If loving Sepharo is wrong, Dirk doesn't want to be right.

Hullo I'm Dirk Smurt!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 01:14 zirik

Kosumo wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 23:46:
No, Mars was biffing rocks at Derek Smart, till Derek said he get his lawyer.

then the lawyer said that mars deserved to get paid a huge sum of cash even after claiming victory in court.

13. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 00:49 xXBatmanXx

I came in here to get some giggles during a crappy day....I am not disappointed!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 00:41 Prez

You guys are terrible!

But funny. (Except for the pedophile part. That was just wrong.)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 16, 2010, 00:20 JohnBirshire

I heard Derek Smart is in a relationship with that dorky kid from A Christmas Story. You know, the one whose picture is below this post.

10. Re: Derek Smart Interview Dec 15, 2010, 23:47 Sepharo

Overon wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 23:41:
I thought Derek Smart claimed to have a Mars rock? I'm confused.

Yes I've heard of that as well.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo